Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I thought I bought a 2020 Model Y, but only to find out it was a rental, and I was a victim of Fraud!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theft by conversion? Maybe.

You verified it wasn’t stolen, but didn’t verify that the vehicle wasn’t rented. Did your ‘title’ have a watermark? YES, as real as they get, watermark and ALL!

!Certainly doesn’t look like you did “everything” you could to protect yourself and now are kinda sad about getting called out for eluding to needing/wanting a ‘gofundme’ in multiple posts. OK: Sorry I want to get a little back for my misfortune...no one is forcing you to give anything but your opinion...and it was just an idea.

Question for you OP: if you hadn’t been able to supercharge on your trip home, what would you have done (if the rental company hadn’t picked up the tab for it) I wouldn't have bought it, since we did the transaction at the supercharger.

Bottom line, for anyone looking to purchase a Tesla or any “connected” car… get the seller to logout of the vehicle or the app, in front of you. One little step could have saved the OP ~50k$.

Did I miss where the registration matched the title? YES

Age old adage STILL rings true, if it sounds too good to be true…. It likely is.....But it wasn't that good to be true...I mean new in 2020 was around $52K...so a few thousand off, is normal for most used car sales....just not in 2021 I suppose.
Alright bucketsofun....I amswered your questions....at this point, if you don't believe me, just go sell your car and 1+ years of income and lose it and your transportation, and create a Post, then see how people treat you.

Thank you for everyone who has treated me with Respect, and sympathy. That's all I can ask for....and it has helped ease some of the pain.

Reactions: Kamban
I only saw his CA drivers license....so, for anyone thinking I didn't do my due diligence, I did. I had a Carfax, checked id, and vin, and title. They all matched, and that for most people is good enough. Yes, Tesla has an app...but not everyone knows that.
I have never bought a used Tesla. I would've done the same thing, and treated it as any other used car. I wouldn't have thought to check app access, etc. Just Carfax, vin, etc. And maybe the duplicate title thing. But now we know :/

@buckets0fun and how do you verify it wasn't rented? From the Carfax he knew it wasn't a fleet vehicle so it wasn't owned by one of the big rental agencies.
By attempting:
1- to have the SELLER remove said login info from the vehicle.
2- to have the SELLER go into his Tesla.com acct and assign the vehicle to someone else

There are a few, maybe I should start a class. “How to keep 50k and not waste time, a master class in avoiding a scam on a cheap(not cheap) Model Y”

I’ll offer a discount on the other classes, “how to not get scammed on a Model S” and “model 3”. However, the Model X class was suspended, no one would fork out $100k+ because they ‘they got a good deal’. They seem to know how best not to be parted of their funds.

By attempting:
1- to have the SELLER remove said login info from the vehicle.
2- to have the SELLER go into his Tesla.com acct and assign the vehicle to someone else

There are a few, maybe I should start a class. “How to keep 50k and not waste time, a master class in avoiding a scam on a cheap(not cheap) Model Y”

I’ll offer a discount on the other classes, “how to not get scammed on a Model S” and “model 3”. However, the Model X class was suspended, no one would fork out $100k+ because they ‘they got a good deal’. They seem to know how best not to be parted of their funds.

Dude get off your high horse. I sware everyone on the internet is perfect, never made mistakes and is an expert at everything…. Easy to just sit behind a screen and criticize others without having to lay your mistakes or shortcomings…. But I’m sure you are perfect and don’t have any of those amiright

Dude get off your high horse. I sware everyone on the internet is perfect, never made mistakes and is an expert at everything…. Easy to just sit behind a screen and criticize others without having to lay your mistakes or shortcomings…. But I’m sure you are perfect and don’t have any of those amiright
Nah, not perfect by any means nor an expert on everything. Also not one to fork over 50k to some stranger because they told me it was cool. I’d also venture to say I’m not “Zomg I bought a 50k rental car”, Smrt.

Not to mention, it’s ‘swear’. ;)

Nah, not perfect by any means nor an expert on everything. Also not one to fork over 50k to some stranger because they told me it was cool. I’d also venture to say I’m not “Zomg I bought a 50k rental car”, Smrt.

Not to mention, it’s ‘swear’. ;)
Omg you’re also “that guy” who corrects grammar in a forum. You are the total tool online package…. I hope you’re not this much of a buzzkill irl too.

A few things to add here. Registration and insurance for the vehicle is your tale tale sign if the vehicle belongs to the owner. Just like fraudulent DL’s, title slips are just as easy to replicate. The same goes with a bill of sale.

If you are ever feeling suspicious at all, have them meet you at a police department. Have an officer conduct a registration request and verify the VIN.

Tesla requires a search warrant for anything involving tracking capabilities, user information, and anything else along those lines.

The problem now lies, this is going to fall more along the lines of a civil matter as far as trying to get your money back.

I VERIFIED it wasn't stolen....as it was rented, and even when I returned it to the police...it wasn't reported STOLEN!! Come on guys...give me a break...this is turning into something I don't want to comment on. I did everything I could to protect myself.
Hindsight is 20/20. Honestly everyone on here is gonna say they are smarter than this and would’ve picked up on this or that. It’s all BS. You got scammed by a good scammer. Shyt sucks and it’s happened to everyone. Whether they know it or not. Or wanna admit it or not. Bounce back bro. Learn. Do better. It’s life.

If he had 50k cash he could have bought new one from Tesla just by waiting a little bit. Also plus one on transferring car in Tesla account right on the spot once he paid for it. You can find million videos on what to do when you sell/buy Tesla. OP story and go fund me attempts sounds fishy.

If he had 50k cash he could have bought new one from Tesla just by waiting a little bit. Also plus one on transferring car in Tesla account right on the spot once he paid for it. You can find million videos on what to do when you sell/buy Tesla. OP story and go fund me attempts sounds fishy.

The cheapest Model Y from Tesla will probably run you about 65K with taxes and everything. And thats without adding any colors, keeping the black interior and stock wheels.

I think this thread has run it's course, especially for some of the relatively new members who only have 'you should have done this' posts. It's a shame the mods can't just close this off to everyone except the OP, so we could get an update on eventual resolution.

It jumped the shark when OP mentioned a GoFundMe. He still may be telling the truth, but that made his claim significantly less believable.
I jumped the “shark” when the criminal cashed my cashiers check. But at this point, the skeptics are here and hungry to believe my story is false. Believe what you want, I am not sharing for the skeptics. Today I will talk with the bank in hopes things can turn for the better.

I jumped the “shark” when the criminal cashed my cashiers check. But at this point, the skeptics are here and hungry to believe my story is false. Believe what you want, I am not sharing for the skeptics. Today I will talk with the bank in hopes things can turn for the better.
Sorry but I have to agree. Was fully behind your story and anyone taken advantage of is never fun to hear But when you start popping off Go Fun Me statements many Huge red flags go up for me. Seen this in several other high dollar forum threads and usually speaks of an alternate agenda. You made a mistake. Own it and feel proud you warned others. Don’t however ask them to pity you a handout even if joking. (multiple times…).