Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

went to super charger today(free supercharging) and it was 250k but i was only getting 40k?why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was like charging at home which was lame..last time i used a sc a year ago it was at least 150kw..
You are in Colorado, and it's late October. I am guessing it was not a balmy 80 degrees. If the battery is cold, it has to start off charging with low power (or even no power if it's REALLY cold) until it can heat up the battery more to increase the charging power. So did the car sit out overnight and get cold, and then you just drove to the Supercharger first thing in the morning? That could easily explain low power there.

You are in Colorado, and it's late October. I am guessing it was not a balmy 80 degrees. If the battery is cold, it has to start off charging with low power (or even no power if it's REALLY cold) until it can heat up the battery more to increase the charging power. So did the car sit out overnight and get cold, and then you just drove to the Supercharger first thing in the morning? That could easily explain low power there.
i was on the way back from dropping off someone at dia..so had been driving the car for like an hour or so....it wasnt cold...but i remember driving to wisc and using sc 2 yrs ago and it was alot higher in 0 degree icey weather- also i unplugged yesterday and tried a diff charger at same place and still 40kw...maybe tesla throttles free supercharging for life people?

What was the SOC when you started charging? Normal for cars at 80% SOC to get about 40 kW, and tapering down from there as it charges. Could also be something wrong with that specific Supercharger. You might try another at an entirely different location.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
maybe tesla throttles free supercharging for life people?
Definitely not.
It was like charging at home which was lame
Stop exaggerating please.

But it could be some of the things @vcor mentioned. You've still never mentioned what your state of charge was, so we can see if that makes sense in the tapering curve. But also there are sometimes stalls or some locations that are having power delivery problems for various reasons. So sometimes it could be that. Or it could be a problem with the car's cooling capability, so it forces the power to stay lower to not overheat the battery.

What was the SOC when you started charging? Normal for cars at 80% SOC to get about 40 kW, and tapering down from there as it charges. Could also be something wrong with that specific Supercharger. You might try another at an entirely different location.
i had like 60 miles left....when i got there and stayed till 70 cause it was so slow...i could have made it home on 60 but i thought i would stop on way back from dia airport for the hec of it.

except for a few rare 3's... a car with unlimited lifetime free supercharging cannot charge at 250kw due to the age of that vehicle and the older battery tech...
Some 2020 S Teslas have unlimited free supercharging. This was early 2020 when Covid was first affecting sales. I have one.

Current Teslas that (may) qualify for free unlimited Supercharging​

Here’s a breakdown of what Tesla models may still have a promotion for free unlimited supercharging. Remember to check with Tesla to confirm if your EV qualifies or not:

Tesla ModelYear(s)Unlimited Supercharging status
Model Y2020-2021None (Unless you purchased in late December 2020)
Model 32018-2019Performance trim only and must be original owner
Model X2016-2020Potentially available, confirm with Tesla
Model S2012-2020Potentially available (excluding the S 40), confirm with Tesla
Note: No Tesla models from 2021 onward have any promotions for free unlimited Supercharging at this time

Reactions: gaswalla
i had like 60 miles left....when i got there and stayed till 70 cause it was so slow...i could have made it home on 60 but i thought i would stop on way back from dia airport for the hec of it.
Did you navigate to the supercharger on the GPS? This enables battery preconditioning which allows for faster charging speeds.

Just driving to the charger without specifically navigating there won’t precondition.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Did you navigate to the supercharger on the GPS? This enables battery preconditioning which allows for faster charging speeds.

Just driving to the charger without specifically navigating there won’t precondition.
I have navigated to superchargers Tesla inserted on my route in mid winter, and some notify you of preconditioning, and do, while others do not precondition and no notification. Tesla programming as we all know sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

So there are many possible factors as to why your Supercharging session was slower than expected including the following:

• cold or perceived cold battery pack (could have a sensor error)
  • high %SOC at arrival. Supercharging tapers off pretty early on older S battery packs
  • faulty or overheated Supercharger equipment (next time you ought to try a few different stalls and then a different SuC site to confirm)
  • something wrong with your battery pack
I'd say try a few different stalls next time and Supercharge at a different location the next time you're at a low %SOC and a warmed battery. Then you can rule out if this was a one-off or a continual issue. If you don't see a rate higher than 70kW at a warmed and low %SOC, then I would ask Tesla to do a remote or in-person diagnosis to see if something is wrong.