Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Virginia Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a nice (standard) reply, but it's good that they are acknowledging our requests.

Me too:
--------
Thank you for your email and feedback. Our Regional Developer is actively scouting for several locations in West Virginia. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Reactions: swengl
I just received a non-canned response that they really are looking for supercharger locations. To that end, could those of you familiar with West Virginia suggest 2-3 solid supercharger locations in Charleston?

Keep in mind what they seem to like; Steak & Shake, Meijer, Holiday Inn, shopping areas, etc.

I would like to think that actual boots on the ground would be helpful here since they are directing most of their efforts from the west coast. Bonus points if you were able to speak to decision makers of properties and gauge their interest in being part of the supercharger network. Obviously none of us are authorized to negotiate/act on behalf of Tesla, but I wouldn't mind making this as easy for them as possible by peaking local interest and getting information out there.

Bonus points if you were able to speak to decision makers of properties and gauge their interest in being part of the supercharger network.
This is the key, as I understand it. I expect that if you send Tesla the direct contact info of an interested property owner/manager, and/or give the property owner/manager Tesla's contact info, you should have a much better shot at making things happen.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
I just received a non-canned response that they really are looking for supercharger locations. To that end, could those of you familiar with West Virginia suggest 2-3 solid supercharger locations in Charleston?

Keep in mind what they seem to like; Steak & Shake, Meijer, Holiday Inn, shopping areas, etc.

I would like to think that actual boots on the ground would be helpful here since they are directing most of their efforts from the west coast. Bonus points if you were able to speak to decision makers of properties and gauge their interest in being part of the supercharger network. Obviously none of us are authorized to negotiate/act on behalf of Tesla, but I wouldn't mind making this as easy for them as possible by peaking local interest and getting information out there.
It's a few miles off I-64, but there is a commercial center (Southridge Center) off of route 119 with a Cabela's, Walmart, Hampton Inn, Quaker Steak & Lube, good Mexican and various other restaurants within walking distance that would be a good location. I've stayed there a few times when I've travelled to Charleston for work and it's very accessible and in a nice part of town. I would think that the parking lot behind the Hampton Inn (and across from Quaker Steak) would be a good spot to put a set of 6-8 chargers. Most folks park in the front of the hotel and there wouldn't be much competition for spots in the back.

I'm working with the Morgantown Parking Authority, Main Street Morgantown, and the developers of University Towne Centre on the Morgantown location. Anyone willing to reach out and support/encourage the location we propose to Tesla, would be very much appreciated. Feel free to PM or post with any thoughts or suggestions.

Would like to see some SCs in WV. I ICE to Louisville, KY from DC through WV. With my MS I'll have to out of my way through Shittsburg,PA then Shittsanati. Ok, I'm a Ravens fan and just busting on the Squealers and Ben-girls. But I wonder if WV Economic dependence on coal etc is why there are no SCs in WV. Pollitics. WV is ripe for 3-4 SCs.

Would like to see some SCs in WV. I ICE to Louisville, KY from DC through WV. With my MS I'll have to out of my way through Shittsburg,PA then Shittsanati. Ok, I'm a Ravens fan and just busting on the Squealers and Ben-girls. But I wonder if WV Economic dependence on coal etc is why there are no SCs in WV. Pollitics. WV is ripe for 3-4 SCs.

I've not felt that coal has been the roadblock (as a long time resident). Outside of North Central WV and Kanawha County, the economy isn't conducive to Tesla.

After reading that, one could argue the demise of coal is a primary driver of the economic barrier.

Reactions: Mknac
I'm working with the Morgantown Parking Authority, Main Street Morgantown, and the developers of University Towne Centre on the Morgantown location. Anyone willing to reach out and support/encourage the location we propose to Tesla, would be very much appreciated. Feel free to PM or post with any thoughts or suggestions.
You have names? Because I have names too. PM me, we need to get the names to talk.

Reactions: jbumps
I'm not a Tesla owner, but the lack of a Charleston or Beckley Supercharger is a pretty large hurtle towards buying a Model S. I make annual trips to Indy and/or Columbus. And my daughter just started college in St. Louis.

We test drove on when dropping my daughter off at college last week and it was so sad when our salesman punches in our address to show us what our trip home would look like in a Tesla. I actually asked him to do it because I wanted to be up front with my wife about it. 3-3.5 extra hours of driving (on top of the charging time) is a bitter pill.

Come on Charleston & Beckley!!

P.S. We stopped off at Tamarack for lunch, just by chance. It seems like a great spot Superchargers too.

I'm not a Tesla owner, but the lack of a Charleston or Beckley Supercharger is a pretty large hurtle towards buying a Model S. I make annual trips to Indy and/or Columbus. And my daughter just started college in St. Louis.

We test drove on when dropping my daughter off at college last week and it was so sad when our salesman punches in our address to show us what our trip home would look like in a Tesla. I actually asked him to do it because I wanted to be up front with my wife about it. 3-3.5 extra hours of driving (on top of the charging time) is a bitter pill.

Come on Charleston & Beckley!!

P.S. We stopped off at Tamarack for lunch, just by chance. It seems like a great spot Superchargers too.

I've heard from 3 seperate sources that it's close. You should put in your order just in case....

The Days Inn at Flatwoods just off I79 near 19 is considering some destination chargers and calls or emails from other owners would help (Greg Skidmore). Another place I have been encouraging is Tamarak just off I77 (James Browder). Both places have power, location and seem open but can use encouragement. Both are good places for a meal and destination charging will help fill in the great charging hole.