Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect a property can do with the destination charger what they wish but it shouldn't show up on the Tesla site or be advertised by the hotel if it isn't public.

For the longest time they were tying up the supercharger so at least that's not the case. It's my understanding using Superchargers for fleet charging in that way violates their terms of use.

I suspect a property can do with the destination charger what they wish but it shouldn't show up on the Tesla site or be advertised by the hotel if it isn't public.

For the longest time they were tying up the supercharger so at least that's not the case. It's my understanding using Superchargers for fleet charging in that way violates their terms of use.
Well the BW destination charger is listed on Tesla's Findus map. My understanding is that Sun Country chargers were all installed for public use, and the Tesla destination chargers were made available to hotels for use by their guests.

The Current Taxi service is still clogging up the Superchargers - there were four of them charging there yesterday when I went to charge - i.e. they were using half of the chargers, so I had to pair with one of them, which limited the speed of my charging.

Well the BW destination charger is listed on Tesla's Findus map. My understanding is that Sun Country chargers were all installed for public use, and the Tesla destination chargers were made available to hotels for use by their guests.

The Current Taxi service is still clogging up the Superchargers - there were four of them charging there yesterday when I went to charge - i.e. they were using half of the chargers, so I had to pair with one of them, which limited the speed of my charging.
I think I'll try to speak to the hotel management about this tomorrow. It doesn't affect me personally since I have free lifetime Supercharging, but for anyone who has to pay for Supercharging, two potential free sources of charging have been removed.

Have any locals taken up this issue previously?

When we were last here six years ago those two chargers were for anyone's use, and I find it hard to believe that either Tesla or Sun Country would condone their capture by Current Taxi. Has this been discussed before on TMC?
You could use the TMC search function to try to find another discussion of this issue.

Tesla does not own Destination Chargers installed by businesses so cannot influence how they are used. Sun Country is a manufacturer of EV chargers and does not own and operate a charging network. I suspect the Sun Country charger you refer to was provided by Tesla to that Best Western, along with the Tesla L2 charger as part of Tesla’s Destination Charging program. Then it is up to the business as to how it wants to manage the chargers.

So you would need to communicate with Best Western regarding those L2 chargers.

Last edited:
You could use the TMC search function to try to find another discussion of this issue.

Tesla does not own Destination Chargers installed by businesses so cannot influence how they are used. Sun Country is a manufacturer of EV chargers and does not own and operate a charging network. I suspect the Sun Country charger you refer to was provided by Tesla to that Best Western, along with the Tesla L2 charger as part of Tesla’s Destination Charging program. Then it is up to the business as to how it wants to manage the chargers.

So you would need to communicate with Best Western regarding those L2 chargers.
Sorry ecarfan, you're factually wrong on a couple of points:

- the Sun Country charger at BW in Kelowna was installed by Sun Country long before (2012) Tesla had a Destination Charger program in Canada. In fact BW Kelowna uses the installation of the Sun Country charger, the first public EV charger in Kelowna, as part of its 'green' credo:

- I believe that Tesla provided Destination chargers free to hotels on condition that they paid for the electricity and make them available to their guests.

Anyway, I don't want to beat this subject to death. I mainly wanted to see if anyone else had dealt with it.

Thanks for that correction. Tesla often provides L2 (J1172) chargers along with a Tesla HPC so I thought that might have been the case here.

We agree that Tesla provides their Destination Chargers (HPCs) free to businesses. Once installed by the businesses I doubt that Tesla takes the time to make sure that the business is using them in the manner intended.

Thanks for that correction. Tesla often provides L2 (J1172) chargers along with a Tesla HPC so I thought that might have been the case here.

We agree that Tesla provides their Destination Chargers (HPCs) free to businesses. Once installed by the businesses I doubt that Tesla takes the time to make sure that the business is using them in the manner intended.
Whether they have a standing agreement and whether they take the time to enforce it are two different things.

Reactions: ecarfan
I think the BW does not restrict the use to hotel guests only, so people are free to do what they want there, however, it is a little disingenuous to list this on the BW website as a service provided to their guests. We choose accommodation based on destination chargers, I would like to know if a commercial operation is using them regularly before I book there.

Reactions: navguy12
I think the BW does not restrict the use to hotel guests only, so people are free to do what they want there, however, it is a little disingenuous to list this on the BW website as a service provided to their guests. We choose accommodation based on destination chargers, I would like to know if a commercial operation is using them regularly before I book there.
@CFinVancouver - it's worse than that. As I noted, the two free chargers (Tesla and Sun) are located at parking spaces which are signed as exclusive to Current Taxi, and in fact, every time I've passed them in the last 3 days, they have been occupied by those taxis.

Reactions: PLUS EV
I know this might not help much, but if a Current Taxi is blocking a Supercharger, they’ll move if asked. I’m friends with one of their drivers.

That‘s not cool about the destination chargers, though! They’re supposed to be for everyone’s use!

Hey, I even found a picture I took on one of those trips....

IMG_20170813_191916.jpg

I've been using that SC on road trips for the past 6-years and I can confirm they are often blocking. They seem to like to park there and not bother to plug in. Hey, no idle fees that way, right? At least that's been my observation on the few trips through Kelowna that I've made. Pretty lame.
You can always plug them in ;)