Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We drove through Hope on Saturday and they have started expansion.

IMG_20170805_144648.jpg
IMG_20170805_144644.jpg
IMG_20170805_144640.jpg

It's 256 miles (412km) from Fort MacLeod to Missoula so there is a supercharger connection between Alberta and Montana and the rest of the US... at least there is in summer.
I have a rule: no hypermiling on vacation LOL! Technically we could do it but with luggage and a family of four, a bit of a "lead foot" when driving on the highway, lots of terrain changes, and several cell-phone dead spots... I would not be trying to test the limits of range in my 90D. The 100D would be okay, though, I think. One last thing... the "short way" between FM and Missoula is via Glacier National Park which is a) spectacular!, b) very busy with tourists and takes about 1.5 hours for a 40 mi stretch, c) costs $30 USD to drive through (they make you buy a 1-week pass). It's shorter in distance and spectacular but it would likely be faster to drive around the National Park which puts it closer to 489km and out of range.

It's funny that the hotels don't seem to understand how to capitalize on this - for example, any hotel in Great Falls would do well to put in a destination charger!

Two more Superchargers would be great between Fort MacLeod and Butte, MT.
EDIT: I see now on the SC map that Shelby, Great Falls and Helena are all coming soon! Even Kalispell will get one. Ask for 2 chargers... get 4! Thanks, Tesla!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kira and doubeld
I offer a solution and everyone chimes in to tell my why it won't work!

Trust me if I had an 85+ and was trying to drive Alberta to any point in the US that is not in the Pacific time zone, I would make that work. People act like they can't slow down or pay a $30 park entrance fee, but they can happily spend a couple extra days detouring through Seattle lol.

• Disagree
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Well everyone can relax as was mentioned, Shelby and another Montana opening up this year,
I'm sensing a Vegas trip in November :D
They are not yet under construction so don't get your hopes up. Tesla announced a lot of SCs early in the year but it is hard to see that they will get most of them done as we are well into August and there aren't many signs of progress.

No, do you have any info on any progress on these sites? But I have looked on supercharge.info which generally has good info and that it does not show any signs of permitting or construction.
I don't have any news on those sites but supercharge.info has not been very reliable around here. The construction cones have not been put up until the chargers were already built and awaiting final testing. Seems like Tesla owners have had to locate the sites themselves before that web site showed the location. Not many Tesla owners in Montana checking on the sites so I would not be surprised if one day we see them up and running without any previous construction information.

I don't have any news on those sites but supercharge.info has not been very reliable around here. The construction cones have not been put up until the chargers were already built and awaiting final testing. Seems like Tesla owners have had to locate the sites themselves before that web site showed the location. Not many Tesla owners in Montana checking on the sites so I would not be surprised if one day we see them up and running without any previous construction information.

You do understand that Supercharge.info is crowdsourced, mainly from owners here?

Just marked Edmonton, AB as "Open" based on an email to [email protected]

supercharge.info

I try to use all information received. [email protected] has received a total of 2,416 emails though and I sometimes fall a bit behind, or, undoubtedly miss something. It is all just for fun though, tracking the transformation. Long range EV travel wasn't practical for decades, until suddenly, it was.

supercharge.info

I try to use all information received. [email protected] has received a total of 2,416 emails though and I sometimes fall a bit behind, or, undoubtedly miss something. It is all just for fun though, tracking the transformation. Long range EV travel wasn't practical for decades, until suddenly, it was.
2,416! wow. Thanks for everything you do. We really appreciate it. :)

No, do you have any info on any progress on these sites? But I have looked on supercharge.info which generally has good info and that it does not show any signs of permitting or construction.

A friend of mine (non-Tesla owner) sent me a picture of a Supercharger station in Shelby, Montana. A month ago. I was surprised that it was not already on supercharge.info. It looks like it's just waiting to be hooked up.

As I have not traveled there I cannot be certain that this information is accurate. If someone wants to do some Google streetview perusing...
2017-07-01 17.22.38.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3s-a-charm

supercharge.info

Thanks BlueShift!

Did a road trip to test out these new chargers on Saturday. After our 4 hour drive to get there we found them all energized and the one we used worked flawlessly with a peak of 126kw as I was at a soc of around 6% when arriving.

Charged at 8pm for 30 mins, then north of the city for a few hours and then back to charge before heading home only to find that Southgate Mall Locks the superchargers behind a gate after hours that do not seem to be posted anywhere on site. Gates are locked at the hinges so they had some give and using our 3 man team we were able to squeeze through without a problem. I wasn't about to wait for 5 hours at a level 2 charger. After starting our second supercharging session I gave Tesla a call to let them know about the gates. They were like "Um what ??" Hopefully they get that sorted out with the mall soon.

Very nice install location with a 24 hour Tim Hortons 1 block north.