Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I sent several suggestions to Tesla on Cranbrook. I made it from Invemere to Coeur d'Alene, ID with a bicycles in the back, but needed a lunch stop and 30 Amp charging in Cranbrook
Ooh. My vote is for something near R & B's Grill. They also make strawberry/rhubarb jam and orange marmalade. Their food is good but the marmalade is righteous.

Oops sorry, this isn't a restaurant review site is it?

Ummm yeah we need a SC in Cranbrook to service Hwy #3 and Hwy #95.

• Funny
Reactions: doubeld
Agreed. I sent several suggestions to Tesla on Cranbrook. I made it from Invemere to Coeur d'Alene, ID with a bicycles in the back, but needed a lunch stop and 30 Amp charging in Cranbrook

CCS/CHAdeMO fast charge stations opened up very recently in Cranbrook, Canal Flats, and Radium to get up the valley. I'd certainly support a supercharger in Cranbrook, but I think one mid-valley in Radium Hot Springs would probably be more popular, given the amount of tourist traffic that passes through there.

Reactions: doubeld
Do you think tesla will have chargers across Canada by next summer? 2019. They say end of 2018 but I don’t see any permits.
I'm thinking yes, by perusing the individual sites that are shown now and the estimated dates listed. And I'm actually confident that most of them will be built by then. However, there's absolutely no guarantee. So it's *more likely* that you'll be able to do 90% on superchargers (bliss!!), but have a few gaps where you have to rely on level 2 Sun Country Highway stations. If you can time those gaps to line up with destination chargers (i.e., stopping overnight), it will be as though there are no gaps.

A repeated shout out to Sun Country for leading the way and developing a fully cross-Canada charging capability back in 2011.

Do you think tesla will have chargers across Canada by next summer? 2019. They say end of 2018 but I don’t see any permits.
If I had to put probabilities on the situation in July 2019, it would be like this:

-10% chance of being able to drive Vancouver to Halifax on only superchargers

-40% chance of being able to make the drive with minimal gaps on mostly superchargers

-40% chance of having to detour through the UP of Michigan in order to do the drive on mostly superchargers

-10% chance of needing to detour to the LP of Michigan to do the drive on superchargers

If I had to put probabilities on the situation in July 2019, it would be like this:

-10% chance of being able to drive Vancouver to Halifax on only superchargers

-40% chance of being able to make the drive with minimal gaps on mostly superchargers

-40% chance of having to detour through the UP of Michigan in order to do the drive on mostly superchargers

-10% chance of needing to detour to the LP of Michigan to do the drive on superchargers

What does a negative percentage mean? Does that mean you think they are going to take existing Superchargers away? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: doubeld and MarcoRP
I believe we're going to see a new location in Salmon Arm before (or instead of) Sicamous. End of the summer. I've been watching the City website council stuff for confirmation (haven't found it yet), but I don't think I'm too far wrong.

Looks like you're right about Salmon Arm. Supercharge.info now says it's in permit stage (not clear where they got that info).

Looks like you're right about Salmon Arm. Supercharge.info now says it's in permit stage (not clear where they got that info).

There's no link to a discussion thread, and a stack of Canadian permit dots were added at once, so I reckon it was just someone emailing in the list of locations as was listed in this forum some time ago. I don't think there's been any additional confirmation, just someone keen to see more blue dots.

There's no link to a discussion thread, and a stack of Canadian permit dots were added at once, so I reckon it was just someone emailing in the list of locations as was listed in this forum some time ago. I don't think there's been any additional confirmation, just someone keen to see more blue dots.

Yes, I see now it's been confirmed that Tesla did a deal with Smartcentres REIT to build superchargers, which includes the Salmon Arm location.

Yes, I see now it's been confirmed that Tesla did a deal with Smartcentres REIT to build superchargers, which includes the Salmon Arm location.

Yup... ;-)

My guess is it'll be live in September.

I started working on my contacts in SmartREIT to see about doing a nationwide deal, back in 2015. They actually did talk to Tesla at that time. But nothing happened. No way to make a deal if there wasn't a lease associated with the superchargers. I tried the discussion a few more times, pointing out that cars charging meant captive drivers looking for a way to spend the time... and always got some mild interest, but never anything solid. Then they evidently did a deal without me hearing anything about it. SmartREIT has choice properties all across the country, generally in good reach of major highways, so it was a no-brainer to see the synergy. It amazes me that they took this long to figure it out - they were the people that had Wal-Mart sites locked down across Canada before Wal-Mart appeared in Canada - they're pretty smart players!

I'd like to think that I had something to do with this finally happening, but I suspect the truth is they eventually just figured it out for themselves...

And I'd wager the Sicamous location will disappear from the Tesla map when they finally show Salmon Arm!

It's funny that the hotels don't seem to understand how to capitalize on this - for example, any hotel in Great Falls would do well to put in a destination charger!
There is one now and it looks like 66 amps -- 66.67a*240v=16kW

oRMBCsd.jpg