Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swung by the canmore site today, nothing exciting to report. Everything is still all wrapped up in tarps and sitting in boxes still.

So the Dec. 15 deadline will not be met:(

Construction on this SC seems to be taking a long time.
According to the hotel, construction started 5 weeks ago (Nov. 6).
Photos taken Nov. 14 show Tesla charging equipment wrapped up in tarps.
Some snail-like progress in photos taken (Nov. 23):
Same company involved in Red Deer construction.

Construction started Nov. 6 (email from hotel):
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...hargers/page19?p=807776&viewfull=1#post807776

Photos from Nov. 14:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...hargers/page23?p=818376&viewfull=1#post818376

Photos from Nov. 23:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...hargers/page25?p=821303&viewfull=1#post821303

Last edited:
Thanks to all those who visited the Hope SC site, and added pictures here. What with some posters comments on Proprietary Rights - maybe I should not have copied the Pics from here to the PlugShare Listing? http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/58690 - which is now listed as 6 Tesla SC's! Hope no one is offended by the additions I put there!

By the way - any followers of this post thinking of making a visit to EV Fest 2015 this coming June?

Here is an Idea - Use the Tesla Model S HPWC's located in areas where future SC's are to be added! Maybe installing just 2 of them at leading locations would be a great boost for them, and potentially way easier to get started than all the issues they commonly have to deal with for 600 Volt x 350 Amp feeds!

Had to check out Hope. It works. :) 116 kW initially, charging at stall 2A.

2014-12-14-10-53-08-2H6A8591.jpg
2014-12-14-11-07-31-2H6A8621.jpg
2014-12-14-10-54-48-2H6A8599.jpg
2014-12-14-10-56-56-2H6A8608.jpg

Tesla has provided nearly $40 worth of electricity thus far. It would be interesting to see what the meter says in a few months.

Last edited:
This is great news. If Calgary, and Kelowna get added (Edmonton would be nice as well) then I am extremely happy!

Likewise. Kelowna would really suit me. BTW, I have an HPWC in Summerland that I should eventually put on plugshare. People can PM me if you ever want to use it for now. It is mounted outside with a combo lock on the box that houses the unit.

Kelowna is one of my "required" spots, the others are invermere/radium and a route south to lethbridge area from Calgary. (something in/near Edmonton would be nice too, but I think I could round trip Edmonton from the Red Deer supercharger, (destination charging still leaves a lot to be desired)

Make sure to swing by wallace / joes and ask for the tesla charging special :)

What is "wallace / joes" ? I like the Blue Moose in Hope and it's just a short walk from the Superchargers (now the 70amp one out front will get much less use!).

Kelowna is one of my "required" spots,

Yep, me too. Hope was my #1 and Kelowna is my #2. I can't wait for that one but I'm not holding my breath.

What is "wallace / joes" ? I like the Blue Moose in Hope and it's just a short walk from the Superchargers (now the 70amp one out front will get much less use!).

Joe's restaurant on Wallace St. It's at the same intersection as the Sun Country charger outside muni hall. I spent a nice hour having dinner there on the way back from Merritt this summer. Great place to watch local strollers stop and gaze at the Tesla while it's charging.

Now, with the Superchargers further away, we'll lose that ...

Hmmm ... why does Google maps say Joes is "permanently closed"? Do the owners/managers know this?

Have to consider it. I am planning to attend this years (2015) Tesla Rally in Custer SD the weekend of May 15-17. Should be an adventure driving from the Toronto area to there. The only missing Supercharger link is Woodstock. Here are pictures of the 2014 gathering - Steve Zimmermann Photography | Black Hills Tesla Rally 2014

Do you have a link to any further info on the Tesla Rally in Custer? I might try to make it out for that. However, I might also have a conflict: We (Minnesota Tesla Enthusiasts) have talked a bunch of us going to Michigan sometime in May to give people test rides in the MS. We're just talking at this point (we did this in Iowa in October: great success, a lot of fun), but it may land on that same weekend.

Nah, he had at least 30km left...:wink:

Yeah, funny story about that... I left Victoria with 250 km rated range, which I figured would include an adequate buffer but arrive in Hope low enough to be able to test out the Supercharger. (It's 34 km to the ferry, and 170 km from the ferry to Hope). On the way there, however, there must have been a howling headwind because I could not come close to rated range going 100 km/h with the climate control off. In contrast, on the way back I did better than rated, going 110 km/h (as a, ahem, lower limit), with the climate control on and set to toasty warm (23 C).

I kept an eye on my "buffer" all the way, and it was eroding at an alarming pace. There was a "red" section on the highway past Chilliwack, so I took a side road at 60 km/h for quite some distance, avoiding the (I assume) accident and building the buffer up enough that I was confident I'd make it. 15 km remaining is well below the buffer I usually allow.

I am very happy that the car is so consistent - you can definitely trust its measurement of energy remaining. And I had backups; public chargers in Chilliwack and in Hope.

Update: sad news regarding the cause of the delay on Highway 1. It was a fatal accident. Woman killed by semi on Highway 1 - BC | Globalnews.ca

Likewise. Kelowna would really suit me. BTW, I have an HPWC in Summerland that I should eventually put on plugshare. People can PM me if you ever want to use it for now. It is mounted outside with a combo lock on the box that houses the unit.

I'm going to be doing the same at our place in Calgary. Once the HPWC gets shipped to me, I'm going to see about adding a plug outside our garage, or at a minimum sharing our in garage charger with other Tesla owners via a PM/cal ahead type arrangement.