Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're missing the part about regeneration.
Wait until you get your car and you will see. You really can't compare fuel/energy use ICE vs. electric when it comes to mountain driving since regeneration plays such a large part when it comes to electric.
I do recognize that regeneration attempts to put back into the battery what it can every time you take your foot off the accelerator peddle. When the Highlander went into mondo-large size in 2008, we ordered the hybrid model and took delivery of the first one in the Interior. Obviously the ICE component of the drivetrain was the heart of the vehicle, with some minor electric capacity intended to help with fuel economy. I don't think it did much better than the non-hybrid version, but that's another story! However, regeneration was an important part of the system and it was also tied to the brake pedal, not just when you took your foot off the gas. I took an interest in how it worked and how efficient the vehicle was... my introduction to regenerative braking - LOL

The thing about regeneration is you will never put back into the battery on the way down the hill what you took out on the way up. I tried to comment on that in my last post, but upon re-reading it even I can't even get that out of my post properly, and I wrote it! :redface:

Without worrying about exact math, let's say the electric drive train is 85% efficient. So it would take 100 kWh from the batteries to put 85 kWh of energy to the tires. In this case of elevation, the energy goes to lifting the car up, adding potential energy to the car. We'll forget about the wind friction and other losses and concentrate only on the energy associated with elevation.

So you're at the top of the mountain and you've added 85 kWh of potential energy into the car by lifting it that far, by draining 100 kWh out of the batteries. Now you're headed back down and by the time you get back to where you started, you will have to bleed off all that potential energy in some way or another. In this case, through regenerative braking. But like the battery to tire energy conversion, there is an energy loss associated with converting the energy from the tires back into energy in the batteries. Let's say it's also 85% efficient. That means when you get to the bottom of the hill in this theoretical world where there are no other energy losses to confuse things, 85% of the 85 kWh end up back in the batteries. That's 72.25 kWh. So the trip up the mountain and back down again, in a perfect world in a perfect vacuum, cost 27.75 kWh. That energy went to heat in the batteries, power inverter, variable frequency drive (however they do it), etc. If you had not gone up and down that hill and had taken the flat road around the mountain instead, you'd still have the missing 27.75 kWh in the batteries.

Obviously this is MUCH improved from the ICE vehicle, which would have lost all that energy (all 85 kWh of it) through the brakes! But taking the mountainous road is going to come at an energy cost, even with regeneration, which is the point I was attempting to make.

Started from Burnaby in the morning late. First stop was Hope with lunch and next stop at Merritt'the cs90 charger was out of order.So we have to use CS40.enough to make to Chase'were both CS 90 and CS 60 were open. So our next stop was by midnight at Revelstike.Again CS 40 was not ocupide.Spend the night at Best Western and fully charged to Golden .After lunch took off to Canmore.We were looking for the charger ask the police officer,said I have seen one nearby but donot know where is.Took us to nearby city hall. Reception lady was also was not sure and call the eng. he came down and took us there .The police officer was also interest to know for future also went with us.After two hours charge we took off to Calgary.We have S60 Tesla.So now Can we make by one day with supercharger .Any news for Supercharger in Calgary or near by.:smile:
A couple of questions. Did you use the CS40 in Revelstoke? why not the Supercharger?
Do you not have the navigation system or the new 6.2 software that helps you to route to superchargers? Also the address can be looked up on the Tesla Motors site (among others).

I had a short chat with a Vancouver person headed to Banff yesterday evening just before 8 PM. He was at the Kamloops SC and told me he had made if from Hope with 109 km remaining. He just set the cruise and let the car figure out the economy. The car was an S85 built before the autopilot hardware. Judging by your driving time, you didn't spare the whip? ;-)

The distance between Hope and Kamloops is only a few km over 200 so the mountains must have really impacted range.

In my case I could have spared some energy by slowing down, no doubt. Last April, Hope to Kamloops used 263km of range and 2h 10min to travel 202km. This was done very close to the speed limit, even below (then 110km/hr). This year I used 320km of range and 1h 41min for the same leg. The Coq was not busy and the conditions were very good. This year I was also on winter tires, compared to my all seasons last year, which could impact range. I plan to slow down and use cruise control, when possible, on the way back to Vancouver. I was not driving to optimize range in any way, unlike last year when that was my entire focus. I drove exactly how I would in an ICE car.

The section from Airdrie to Red Deer also has a very fast flow. Many people were passing me. They seemed to slow down a bit from Red Deer to Edmonton, because there were so many traffic cops.

From Canmore to Red Deer, I took the route through Cochrane and Airdrie. It's probably not a road well travelled by Teslas, since Calgarians wouldn't take this route. I don't think I would use that route after dark.

My charge times were:
Hope - 42min (Blue Moose Cafe)
Kamloops - 48min (Aberdeen Mall)
Revelstoke - 28min
Golden - 25min
Canmore - 52min (Boston Pizza - takeout)
Red Deer - 31min

Total Supercharger charging time: 3h46min
Pre-Supercharger charging time (SunCountry CS90s): 15h30min

It's still a long day, but doable. I'll likely spend a night en-route when I return to Edmonton in July. Vancouver to Calgary is now a pretty easy one day drive in my opinion.

Vancouver to Edmonton will improve if Tesla puts Superchargers on the Northern route through Jasper. I don't think anyone expects this anytime soon. I may try this route in one direction this summer, using RV parks or campgrounds. If you know anyone who has done it, I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited:
But taking the mountainous road is going to come at an energy cost, even with regeneration, which is the point I was attempting to make.

Correct, but it is amazing how efficient the regenerative brakes are. So much so, it appears, that the loss you're describing can be overwhelmed by other factors. e.g. I think that just driving 10 km/h faster would have more of an effect than going up and over a mountain, assuming that you're good at not using the friction brakes.

- - - Updated - - -

I can drive on the highway without once touching the brakes (try that with gas or diesel!). However, if you were behind me, and didn't know about a Tesla, you'd think I was riding the brakes (that part bothers me about the car). You can see when your brake lights come on by putting your car on the screen and looking at the brake lights. They come on a lot when driving down a mountain (especially around corners) despite the fact that you never need to touch the brakes at all driving from Hope to Princeton. It's one foot driving only for me on the highway.

a) excellent point about how you can see when the brake lights turn on (I figured that out independently, but it took me a while to think of the idea!)
b) I know what you mean about essentially wanting to tell others that you're not even using the brakes, however it is important that others know you are slowing down. There seems to be a deceleration threshold above which the brake lights turn on; it isn't just based on when the motor is sending power to the battery. I think. I haven't tried to work out the exact threshold, as I'm always the one driving and should be looking at the road. :)

There seems to be a deceleration threshold above which the brake lights turn on; it isn't just based on when the motor is sending power to the battery. I think. I haven't tried to work out the exact threshold, as I'm always the one driving and should be looking at the road. :)
Yeah, good luck with figuring it out. The threshold is different depending on the speed you're going (I have to say "I think" here because it's so hard to observe and record exactly what's happening). For example and from memory at about 50km/hr, lights seem to come on at near -30; at 100km/hr, (I think!!!) halfway between -30 and -60. Or something like that. I've given up.

I do do think it would be useful to have a user-selectable option to clearly display on the driver dash when the brake lights are being lit. I'd turn that on going down the Coq or even the Malahat, for example, but off for normal driving.

a) excellent point about how you can see when the brake lights turn on (I figured that out independently, but it took me a while to think of the idea!)

I do do think it would be useful to have a user-selectable option to clearly display on the driver dash when the brake lights are being lit. I'd turn that on going down the Coq or even the Malahat, for example, but off for normal driving.

As someone who doesn't do much mountain driving :tongue:, maybe you guys can fill me in.

Are you saying you like that the brake lights illuminate when a certain degree of regen is active, or that you would rather they didn't come on? If the latter, why wouldn't you want them lit?

As someone who doesn't do much mountain driving :tongue:, maybe you guys can fill me in.
IIRC, wasn't there a "ski hill" built near Dundurn? :)

Are you saying you like that the brake lights illuminate when a certain degree of regen is active, or that you would rather they didn't come on? If the latter, why wouldn't you want them lit?
The first - I think it's a safety imperative they light when slowing over some threshold, and I think tesla has nailed how they operate pretty good. All I'd like to see, ( *casting about for nitpicky improvements* ) is an easier, more direct way to know when they're activated. Of course I like the car fine as it is too!! Just sayin'.

Yeah, good luck with figuring it out. The threshold is different depending on the speed you're going (I have to say "I think" here because it's so hard to observe and record exactly what's happening). For example and from memory at about 50km/hr, lights seem to come on at near -30; at 100km/hr, (I think!!!) halfway between -30 and -60. Or something like that. I've given up.

As I say, I don't think it's related to power, it's related to deceleration. The motors can generate power while maintaining or even gaining speed.

I think there is an accelerometer somewhere in the car, and that is what is used to determine when to turn the "brake" lights on. Except that that would mean that the lights would come on when coasting up a really steep hill. I don't know whether that's the case. I suppose I could try actually asking Tesla. I've done a bit of searching on the web and cannot find anything definitive about this.

For the person asking whether the brake (or maybe we should call them "stop") lights coming on with deceleration is a good thing - I would say yes. Better for someone to think you're riding the brake than to be rear-ended because they had no idea you could slow down that quickly without brakes.

As I say, I don't think it's related to power, it's related to deceleration. The motors can generate power while maintaining or even gaining speed.

I think there is an accelerometer somewhere in the car, and that is what is used to determine when to turn the "brake" lights on. Except that that would mean that the lights would come on when coasting up a really steep hill. I don't know whether that's the case. I suppose I could try actually asking Tesla. I've done a bit of searching on the web and cannot find anything definitive about this.

For the person asking whether the brake (or maybe we should call them "stop") lights coming on with deceleration is a good thing - I would say yes. Better for someone to think you're riding the brake than to be rear-ended because they had no idea you could slow down that quickly without brakes.

For those who enjoy simple physics, this one is pretty easy. The car knows how much force is created by regeneration based on speed and power,[SUP]*[/SUP] combine that with brake pedal force, and it is pretty simple to create a threshold at which to turn on the brake lights. That works whether you are slowing down on the flats or maintaining a steady speed on a steep downhill.

[SUP]*[/SUP]force = power/speed

I don't yet have a model S, but I do drive in the mountains a lot, and I don't ride the brakes down long hills, instead I downshift. My constant worry is that people behind me won't figure it out because I don't have brake lights on and slam in to me.

I think Tesla does this one right.

I did a little experimenting on a dark road last night. With the rear camera on, I tried various degrees of regen and my daughter and I watched for the red lights on the road behind. No matter how subtly I ease into the regen braking, at 15 kW the brake lights came on every time. If I pulled my foot from the accelerator quickly, even if I was moving slow and the max regen was like 5 kW, the brake lights came on.

So, the car appears to be watching for 15 kW+ regen and sudden pedal movements.

This makes sense to me, and, I agree that this is a good idea, safety wise, since the deceleration from regen braking can be quite extreme at moderate (30-60 km/h) speeds.

I'm fine with the lights coming on at a reasonable deceleration rate... similar to down-shifting an ICE perhaps. But I certainly DO NOT want to look like the 80 year old granny in a Camry riding the brakes down every hill and touching them at every shadow on the flats... :crying:

I'm fine with the lights coming on at a reasonable deceleration rate... similar to down-shifting an ICE perhaps. But I certainly DO NOT want to look like the 80 year old granny in a Camry riding the brakes down every hill and touching them at every shadow on the flats... :crying:
It sounds to me like you're more worried about what other drivers might think of your driving style, than whether the system makes sense and is safe. I'd rather err the other direction.
I don't personally care if the guy behind me thinks my foot is in the wrong place or doesn't like my footwork, I care if he slams in to me or not.