Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wet rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that when it rains, the rear camera gets wet, and the rear camera vision (while backing up) gets clouded, and hard to see with. Can be dangerous. Is there any fix for that. (2021 Model 3)
In the menu.. under “safety” there is an option to turn on the heated rear camera. This should “melt” away the condensation on the rear camera lens..

No, but in all seriousness.. wtf kind of question is this? Grab a towel and wipe your rear camera dry bro

In the menu.. under “safety” there is an option to turn on the heated rear camera. This should “melt” away the condensation on the rear camera lens..

No, but in all seriousness.. wtf kind of question is this? Grab a towel and wipe your rear camera dry bro
I looked under Safety, and could not find the option you mentioned. Might it be somewhere else?

I looked under Safety, and could not find the option you mentioned. Might it be somewhere else?
He was being sarcastic. His actual suggestion is to wipe it.

The only permanent way to solve it is to make a cover. Some people have done it DIY. Someone up thread linked a commercial solution, although it appears out of stock.

There's also this one from South Korea that just looks 3D printed (probably evolved from a DIY rain shield).
For Tesla Model 3 Rain Shield - Rear Car Camera Camcorder Lens Hood Cover Guard | eBay

From the other thread however, others say they had success with ceramic coating.
Superhydrophobic Camera Cover for Model 3 & Y

I see people mention Rain-X, but have not seen an example of someone claiming they have actually tried it working. Note there are two types also (one for plastic, one for glass). I remember reading however in the past that Rain-X doesn't work (edit, found thread discussing it in Model S):
Rear Camera, Can it be kept clean?

Last edited:
He was being sarcastic. His actual suggestion is to wipe it.

The only permanent way to solve it is to make a cover. Some people have done it DIY. Someone up thread linked a commercial solution, although it appears out of stock.

There's also this one from South Korea that just looks 3D printed (probably evolved from a DIY rain shield).
For Tesla Model 3 Rain Shield - Rear Car Camera Camcorder Lens Hood Cover Guard | eBay

From the other thread however, others say they had success with ceramic coating.
Superhydrophobic Camera Cover for Model 3 & Y

I see people mention Rain-X, but have not seen an example of someone claiming they have actually tried it working. Note there are two types also (one for plastic, one for glass). I remember reading however in the past that Rain-X doesn't work (edit, found thread discussing it in Model S):
Rear Camera, Can it be kept clean?

Thanks for the info. Regarding the "sarcasm" of "scoobydoo", totally inappropriate. Not appreciated. My question was serious. And I spent time looking for the option he mentioned. (Which would not be a bad idea- some kind of defrost function to clean condensation from the camera lens.) The solution is to wipe the lens, while it is raining? It will just get wet again,
Thank you for your info, stopcrazypp, and others as well.

• Funny
Reactions: ScottNY and KenC
Thanks for the info. Regarding the "sarcasm" of "scoobydoo", totally inappropriate. Not appreciated. My question was serious. And I spent time looking for the option he mentioned. (Which would not be a bad idea- some kind of defrost function to clean condensation from the camera lens.) The solution is to wipe the lens, while it is raining? It will just get wet again,
Wiping works for low speeds, a lot of the time it's the rain that have gathered while the car has been in the rain a while, so wiping will keep it clear for quite some time, while you use the camera.

He did say, "in all seriousness", which means the part he wrote before that, was NOT.

In our part of the world cameras, especially the rear ones are covered with ice, salt, water, and who knows what from about November to April, rendering them effectively useless. Learn to use your mirrors, they are much more reliable. Wiping cameras off at this time of year is a cure for maybe 10 minutes. I'd rather not be jumping out of the car every time I need to see what's behind me. (This is not a Tesla-specific problem. it is, however, one of the things that makes me laugh at the idea of a vision only FSD system.)

Reactions: maiki
"Wiping works at low speeds." Yeah, like under five miles an hour so your passenger can jump out and run around back of the car and wipe. WTF kind of solution is "wipe" when it's raining and you're on the freeway? Tesla should not install a rear-facing camera that becomes part of the driving experience but goes totally useless in the rain, or even after it rains and cars are kicking up water There has to be a way to keep it out of the airflow that drives water straight into it. I've had a '16S and a '19S and no effort seems to have been made to address this.

"Wiping works at low speeds." Yeah, like under five miles an hour so your passenger can jump out and run around back of the car and wipe. WTF kind of solution is "wipe" when it's raining and you're on the freeway? Tesla should not install a rear-facing camera that becomes part of the driving experience but goes totally useless in the rain, or even after it rains and cars are kicking up water There has to be a way to keep it out of the airflow that drives water straight into it. I've had a '16S and a '19S and no effort seems to have been made to address this.
If you are talking about my comment, I'm referring to wiping it as you walk past it to get into your car. That works for a lot of people for the low speed portion. It does make a difference vs never cleaning the camera.

On the freeway, a cover of some sort probably is the only solution. I do find that when the car gets back down to lower speeds however, it does tend to clear itself out (enough to see for parking).