Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the better choice? $6K for EAP or $12K for FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most driving is local but twice a month I do a 300 mile trip almost all interstate highways. Trying to decide on long term value before price increases. If I order it thru the app on my phone is it simply an OTA software update (my car came with FSD but it is disabled because I bought a dealer demo car)?

Last edited:
Always a tricky decision. There’s a chance Tesla may discontinue the subscription and force you to pay the future higher price if you want FSD at all.

I’m not a fan of even Tesla’s basic autopilot, as the response to curves and lane departure is too slow and braking too harsh. And you still have to pay attention and take over at times which makes the driving experience even more anxiety-inducing. I’d much rather not have to switch back and forth. So I most likely will never pay for EAP, let alone FSD.

If you’ve got used to basic autopilot and found it enjoyable, my opinion flips.

Most driving is local but twice a month I do a 300 mile trip almost all interstate highways. Trying to decide on long term value before price increases. If I order it thru the app on my phone is it simply an OTA software update (my car came with FSD but it is disabled because I bought a dealer demo car)?
Neither. Put the $6K or $12K in Tesla stock.

Then buy the $199/month subscription as needed. You’ll probably wind up coming out ahead with that strategy.

I always felt EAP was a good package for $5,000 before AP became standard.

I agree, it was a decent value when that was the entry point that included TACC and Autosteer.

Now that those features are “free”, you’d have a hard time convincing me that lane changes (useful), Nav on Autopilot (never useful for me as it’s more stressful than changing lanes yourself), and Summon (useless) are worth $6k.

I would use $12k to buy Tesla stock and get $200 subscription. Better value in my opinion. Especially knowing Tesla is raising FSD to $15k. More profits - higher stock price!👍
Tesla to raise price of Full Self-Driving to $15,000
To me personally there is no value in either of options.
FSD is still betta and I can drive myself locally.
EAP - the only thing that has value for me is lane change. I did the math and it will cost me $3 per each lane change. Is it worth it to use on 2 300 mile trips? Who knows. I take same trip every 2 months :) haha To me it is not worth it. I trained myself to reengage autopilot after lane change.

EAP is good for lane change, I don’t like the way they choose route for NOA. Local city FSD is not there yet, if the local driving is very complicated and stressful, it will take a long time before it can handles them, likely the next generation of Teslas, if it is not complicated, then why you need it. Everyone case is different, test subscription is a good idea, don’t make your decision just based on the influencer on YouTube or social media. I use it all the time, not because it is useful or cool but it helps me to maintain a high safety score for dirt cheap Tesla insurance permium.

For me neither is worth it. If EAP was around $5000 and only if I can “take it with me” to the next Tesla I would consider buying it. But not the FSD.

Mathematically, the $6000 cost is 3.5 years of continuous subscription. I don’t think I need it each month. At most I will get it when I have a big trip doming up. Otherwise I would, like other posters said, put the money in Tesla stock and make money off people who buy FSD/EAP.

Another vote for buying your car without it. Subscribe for a month to see for yourself. Almost everyone that tries it out is glad they didn’t pay a crazy amount of money for what it does in reality. Additionally, EAP is 6k for basically an auto lane change that causes more stress than it's worth. It’s pretty effortless to just signal, change lanes yourself, and then one click the "free" autopilot back on again.

My demo test drive had FSD and it took me about 5 minutes to see I would never pay more than about $500 for that. Problem with turn, problem take over, 2 sketchy lane changes in traffic, car confused and slows down in traffic.. no thank you. I love my MYP just fine without it and I commute on the freeway every day.

As a shareholder though I won't mind if you buy the 12k version.

Maybe one day it will be worth it but since it doesn't transfer with your account to a new car (like it should), I will need to upgrade my car anyway before FSD is ever worthwhile.

Last edited:
If the purchase of FSD stayed with the owner and transferred to future cars, I’d consider it, but having just traded in a 25 month old LR AWD on a new PMY and will probably do the same in another 2 to 3 years due all the Continuous Improvements Tesla makes to their cars, buying FSD at any price point given I would use it 3 maybe 4 times a year it makes no financial sense given my use case.

I have a friend who wants to buy a new Y but since he added FSD to his 2020 PMY he’s stuck with it due financial consideration.

So unless you plan to keep the car for many years renting FSD seems a more reasonable financial choice.

If the purchase of FSD stayed with the owner and transferred to future cars, I’d consider it, but having just traded in a 25 month old LR AWD on a new PMY and will probably do the same in another 2 to 3 years due all the Continuous Improvements Tesla makes to their cars, buying FSD at any price point given I would use it 3 maybe 4 times a year it makes no financial sense given my use case.

I have a friend who wants to buy a new Y but since he added FSD to his 2020 PMY he’s stuck with it due financial consideration.

So unless you plan to keep the car for many years renting FSD seems a more reasonable financial choice.

So many possible improvements coming down the line eventually like better batteries, ventilated seats, maybe an entirely newer form factor.
Will people really stick with the same car or sell and buy the new thing.

I just don't see people hanging onto the car for 10+ years when the car is all about tech and tech changes fast.

Reactions: TomServo
I did not get either option. I think EAP is just auto lane change plus some party tricks, so I'd probably be willing to pay $2k at most for that. Maybe closer to $1k. I personally don't think my 21 MYP will will have enough processing power and/or hardware to run the final release version of FSD too well, whenever that actually happens, so there's no reason to pay for that either. In fact, I think Tesla should be paying people to do beta testing on FSD, not the other way around.

At the very least "beta testers" should be able to transfer their very expensive FSD purchase with their account to new cars down the line as a sort of brand loyalty program. They are paying a ridiculous amount of money for something that doesn't even work yet (if ever) without significant oversight and interventions. This would have two obvious benefits for Tesla, more people would buy into FSD, and more people would buy ANOTHER Tesla down the road instead of one of many competing vehicles coming out since they already bought into FSD for a large sum of money.