Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HUGE net time savings. Sure there are some people who insist that filling an ICE car takes 2 minutes, but they are idiots. I'll take my 10 minutes a week savings and take a 1 hour hit on my long trips twice a year.
I can't even explain how many times I have been standing at the gas station thinking to myself how I can't wait until I don't have to do this anymore.

Uh... Charlie... is that you???

Back to the relevant subject, and related to this great question....

It used to be quite often that I was asked a similar question.

"What happens if something on your EV "breaks down" in the middle of nowhere?"

My answer has been consistent: "The same thing that happens when a gas car breaks down. You either fix it or you figure out how to tow it."

Most amusing is that this question is typically asked by somebody who has NO idea how to deal with a car that isn't working perfectly. And for some reason, the assumption is that gas cars never stop working.
Why, yes this is - are you my dentist, Dr. Driller? Haw!

I went to my local gas station once and the cashiers have this huge glass window to look outside from. When I walked in the cashier had the dirtiest look on his face and this is the convo that ensued;
Cashier: "What are you doing here?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Cashier: "You have an electric car, what are you doing at my gas station?"
Me: "I'm.. here to get a car wash"?
Cashier: Still with a dirty look unwillingly ringing up my car wash, "I heard those things take hours to charge"
Me: Explaining the difference of charging at home vs a supercharger
Cashier: "If I can't drive that thing non-stop from here to (enter far destination) then it's garbage to me. Why should I wait hours to charge"
Me: Grab my car wash receipt and tell him to have a good day.

Ever since that day the guy gives me dirty looks. I don't know what's wrong with him. People really believe whatever garbage they read online, or maybe they don't want to admit EVs are better and only believe what they want to believe. Who knows.

I went to my local gas station once and the cashiers have this huge glass window to look outside from. When I walked in the cashier had the dirtiest look on his face and this is the convo that ensued;
Cashier: Still with a dirty look unwillingly ringing up my car wash, "I heard those things take hours to charge"
Cashier: "If I can't drive that thing non-stop from here to (enter far destination) then it's garbage to me. Why should I wait hours to charge"

Ever since that day the guy gives me dirty looks. I don't know what's wrong with him. People really believe whatever garbage they read online, or maybe they don't want to admit EVs are better and only believe what they want to believe. Who knows.
Unfortunately it's just the Shorts simply spewing Fake News. You'd think there are $millions at stake or something...

I have heard so many of these... a couple of latest ones: "I'm a Harley guy, I like things that make noise when I drive them." My thought. Ride your Harley to get your gas cologne and noise fix. P.S. I have a Harley too! Next... "How can these things (electric cars) be any fun racing even if you are winning when you can't tune them like gas cars?" My thought. They held regular wagon races, steam car etc. Time to get up to speed with the best, latest, fastest technology and learn how to tune/race electric.

Last edited:
I have heard so many of these... a couple of latest ones: "I'm a Harley guy, I like things that make noise when I drive them." My thought. Ride your Harley to get your gas cologne and noise fix. P.S. I have a Harley too! Next... "How can these things (electric cars) be any fun racing even if you are winning when you can't tune them like gas cars?" My thought. They held regular wagon races, steam car etc. Time to get up to speed with the best, latest, fastest technology and learn how to tune/race electric.
Guess he has heard of the Harley Livewire.

Reactions: TT97
Lucky you. I'm down 15% at 69,000 miles (176 RM at 100%). Yes, Tesla batteries can degrade quickly, even if most people don't seem to have a problem.

Ok, first thing, I'm not Doubting you. I feel bad right off. Second thing I am wondering if you have the first model S battery. I think I am in the second version of the S. That seems to be different. Hopefully, model 3 whatever the cell name is even better than mine. I know I can't afford another battery, all I can do is sell it and not drive again. I try to not charge past 90%, but I do on some trips, and not go under 20%, but there is winter here too, so I do when I have to. #feelbad, I wish you all the best, ZERO sarcasm anywhere in this post.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

This is the kind of anti EV attitude I just don't get. Like it makes any difference in his life that you drive an EV.....Oh wait a sec....does he own the gas station....LOL!!

SO True... I went a few times to buy a car wash, and after like the 3rd time we chatted about the car wash and electrics etc, he gave me the gas discount anyway (I bought 2 energy drinks and snacks each time). It was only a $1.5 but I felt like I had a big win.

yeah it's gonna take time. I will prob die before it's totally accepted, but I have definitely changed many minds by UBERing in my Tesla, we all do our part.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Here’s my vote:

"I don't think one car per family in Michigan plays too well. Do you agree, right, not too well, and it's got to be, of course, that electric car, even if it only goes 160 miles?"
Well, if you go this way, you have access to a bottomles source of stupid statements ! :)

A bit of topic, but "why don't we use air tankers for Notre Dame ?"

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
When I picked up my M3, The Tesla rep who demonstrated the car said: "When you close the frunk, you want to press directly on the T right in the middle" (The manual shows a big red square where the T is), "The window glass will break if you ever use the emergency door handle" (It doesn't) and when I asked if I could charge before I left.. "No, the super chargers over there are for the service center, I could go ask for you but those aren't for customers" (They were open to public).
Exactly how my delivery went.

I can almost believe that one. I currently have a Prius and it erodes my soul! Think I'm allergic to it. That's why I'll be getting a Model 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Soul erosion is a very common problem with Prius. I had 2 of them a few years back and only just now is my soul partly filled. You will find that when you get your 3 that soul erosion abates pretty quickly.

May I present to you - the current Australian federal government and our pathetic media:

(start from 0:34)

Liberal = party in government (led by Scott Morrison) (note: despite the name, they are the conservative party)
Labor = opposition party (led by Bill Shorten)

Good news, election is in 4 weeks and Labor is ahead in the polls.

May I present to you - the current Australian federal government and our pathetic media:

(start from 0:34)

Liberal = party in government (led by Scott Morrison) (note: despite the name, they are the conservative party)
Labor = opposition party (led by Bill Shorten)

Good news, election is in 4 weeks and Labor is ahead in the polls.
Brilliant Chuq. The delivery is a bit like Monty Python no? And now for something completely different.