Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the one thing you like the least about your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Wiper Behavior. (feature improve)
2. Blinkers!!! (feature improve)
3. Range \ Mileage numbers showing a loss of battery capacity or range if you don't charge to 100% regularly. (Bug)
4. Viewer for TeslaCam and Sentry on Screen in the car itself. (feature improve)

The blinkers kill me! When used manually they should work manually.
The 'quick tap' should get you three blinks then stop. it's never consistent \ they seem to have a mind of their own.
Half the time they stay on or you push the stick in the other direction to stop them and they reverse.
Makes drivers behind you think your an idiot driver.

Another idea would be to allow us to assign the roller switches on the steering wheel to different controls.
I do not have EAP so why can't I assign right roller wheel to say... control HVAC fan speed? or assign to manual Wiper speeds? or?
I know it's used by default for 'Cruise Set Speed' but you could just re-tap right stick to change speeds if you reassigned right roller switch.
Or even moving it right and left could 'shift' what the 'push' controls from a custom set of functions we pick from in settings.

Even with those items.
I have no other complaints whatsoever! Best car I have ever owned... Period!

Your stalk/blinker is faulty. No question. I borrowed a Performance 3 from the Bellevue, WA showroom for the night, and the blinkers drove me INSANE. I had EXACTLY the same issue as you. They never worked right, reversed when I tried to turn them off etc etc. My wife drove it and had the same issues. She was not thrilled that I was going to buy a new Model 3 with the way that stalk worked.

Turns out, my new P3D+ blinkers work perfectly. Always, every time. Take your car in for service or have a mobile tech replace it for you.

Got a new one this week:

The centre console looks too much like a stealable iPad to thieves:

m3broken.jpg

I was 1 minute away from the car, so Sentry mode warned me. They did realise that that "iPad" wasn't going to budge, but not after having smashed the side window.

They had also emptied the glove box of the earlier victim when they saw me coming - I recovered someone else's car documents when they dropped them. Obviously, they also didn't know you can't open the glove box without a key on this one either...

Got a new one this week:

The centre console looks too much like a stealable iPad to thieves:

View attachment 420383

I was 1 minute away from the car, so Sentry mode warned me. They did realise that that "iPad" wasn't going to budge, but not after having smashed the side window.

JEEEEEZ. That's insane. I guess we need a lot more Teslas out there so people figure out that's not an iPad. Good grief...

1. Looking out to the back. The rear deck are way too high even I'm 5'10"
2. The driver's side rear view mirror can not move more towards to the left, so I can see the blind sport on the left.
3. Closing the frunk, after refilling the windshield fluid.
4. Missing the front instrument panel. Everybody saying " Don't text and drive" I owned 2 min coopers before, their panel are in the middle too. I really hate to take my eyes off the road. We should have a head up display (display speed at least) in a 50k+ car.
5. Design a space for a spare tire. And I don't mind to pay for a spare tire myself.

Reactions: Lobstahz
I am annoyed that I cannot save the position of the mirrors for when reverse is engaged... all my older German cars could, but not Tesla!

You can save the position of mirrors when reverse. Just put car in reverse and have it on "hold" and go into driver profile to adjust mirror and tap save. This will save the position every time you go into reverse. ;)

The 'quick tap' should get you three blinks then stop. it's never consistent \ they seem to have a mind of their own.
Half the time they stay on or you push the stick in the other direction to stop them and they reverse.

This is a known issue, I took mine in and the SC tech knew the problem immediately. Tesla Mobile service had to disconnect the battery to replace the stalk section. Now it works with the '3 blinks' with a light touch and turn off the full blink with a light tap in the same direction . (not the reverse direction) so you dont turn on the blinker for the other direction.

Reactions: alexGS
The phone key. It’s inconsistent. It fails to work at least 5 times a week.

That's a problem with your phone hardware or software because we have two Model 3's that both work perfectly with our two phones (Samsung S8+ and Samsung S9). If the phone is not transmitting the Bluetooth signal properly, don't blame the car, blame the phone! Also, it's important that the high-frequency BT signals are not blocked by water, metal, your body, etc. They do not penetrate well so ensure your phone is in a forward facing pocket as you unlock the door.

Our 100% functionality has been this way through many, many Model 3 software updates over the last year plus and it just keeps working reliably. It's possible to screw up this functionality by installing poorly coded apps or having your power saving or BT settings configured wrong. And some lower end phones just have crappy Bluetooth. The lock/unlock feature is probably pretty demanding of having Bluetooth functionality that adheres to published Bluetooth standards. Nobody is going to steal a $40K + car if your phones streaming BT audio is not correctly coded. I'm sure Tesla security features push a phones BT to the max but it's just a matter of using a phone that can handle it (and hasn't been screwed up with crappy apps or bad configuration settings).

So don't blame the car for something that is the fault of your phone.

The Driver side footwell - specifically the dip in the floor pan of the driver side footwell.....I can't seem to find a comfortable place for my left foot while using AP.......on any normal car i'd put it right in front of the accelerator, but on any normal car that section is nice and flat. On the model 3 it dips down and leaves your foot feeling like you're walking on your tiptoes after a while.

I can either slide my foot all the way back so my heel hits the front seat, but I've got a bum knee and that stiffens things up after a while, or put my foot under the accelerator which seems not very safe.

What are you guys doing? Have you found a comfortable spot?

Same problem, only it's my right foot that has no good place to rest.

... don't blame the car for something that is the fault of your phone.

I disagree: It was unreasonable to think they could make the car function properly on so many different phones and operating systems. The phone is not to blame that Tesla decided to use it as a key. And the phone is not to blame that Bluetooth is wonky and gets implemented differently on different devices.

Reactions: eCharcoal
That's a problem with your phone hardware or software because we have two Model 3's that both work perfectly with our two phones (Samsung S8+ and Samsung S9). If the phone is not transmitting the Bluetooth signal properly, don't blame the car, blame the phone! Also, it's important that the high-frequency BT signals are not blocked by water, metal, your body, etc. They do not penetrate well so ensure your phone is in a forward facing pocket as you unlock the door.

Our 100% functionality has been this way through many, many Model 3 software updates over the last year plus and it just keeps working reliably. It's possible to screw up this functionality by installing poorly coded apps or having your power saving or BT settings configured wrong. And some lower end phones just have crappy Bluetooth. The lock/unlock feature is probably pretty demanding of having Bluetooth functionality that adheres to published Bluetooth standards. Nobody is going to steal a $40K + car if your phones streaming BT audio is not correctly coded. I'm sure Tesla security features push a phones BT to the max but it's just a matter of using a phone that can handle it (and hasn't been screwed up with crappy apps or bad configuration settings).

So don't blame the car for something that is the fault of your phone.
So defensive. Everything you suggested, I had tried. I have gone through 3 phones already. All iPhones. It would work perfectly under a certain software version. Good for you that it works perfectly on your phones. Unfortunately it doesn’t work perfectly on mine and a lot of other fellow owners.
Call me old school but I don’t like the fact that I need to rely on my phone to open my cars door.

Same problem, only it's my right foot that has no good place to rest.

Oh man, I meant my RIGHT foot - left foot has the dead petal that's fine...it's the right foot, that's not comfortable. When I got home tonight, I cut about 5 cheap microfiber towels to shape and layered them underneath my floor mat right at the dip. It's not perfect but MUCH better I think. When I have some extra time I may layer/cut better.

1. Mad duck or Searay from finding Nemo front end and not quite Aston Martin. That look alone took me a long time to convince me to buy. I reserved in 2016.
2. Lack of software QA from updates. I think getting the AP right is the most important feature in this car.
3. Creaking noises from the interior. Have you tried the diagonal test in your Model 3 as in driveway? Not the boat anchor noise, just flexing frame. This does not work well with frameless windows.
4. Unintuitive UI. Borrow a page from existing cars and understand why some buttons exists up front.
5. Insulate like a Lexus. Priced like a luxury car, insulated like a Jeep. Amazingly my 2010 Volt, a first copy, was quieter. It had no creaking noises.
6. P3D+ looking just like any other. Its beginning to look like taxis.

1. Wiper Behavior. (feature improve)
2. Blinkers!!! (feature improve)
3. Range \ Mileage numbers showing a loss of battery capacity or range if you don't charge to 100% regularly. (Bug)
4. Viewer for TeslaCam and Sentry on Screen in the car itself. (feature improve)

Another idea would be to allow us to assign the roller switches on the steering wheel to different controls.
I do not have EAP so why can't I assign right roller wheel to say... control HVAC fan speed? or assign to manual Wiper speeds? or?
I know it's used by default for 'Cruise Set Speed' but you could just re-tap right stick to change speeds if you reassigned right roller switch.
Or even moving it right and left could 'shift' what the 'push' controls from a custom set of functions we pick from in settings.

Even with those items.
I have no other complaints whatsoever! Best car I have ever owned... Period!

My turn signal does the exact same thing. It's so annoying.

In answer to the question, the paint is my biggest complaint. I washed my car yesterday and the amount of paint chips is disturbing. My last car was a white Mazda CX9 that I had for 6 years and it had less chips than my 6 month old M3. I'm going to have to get a clear wrap ASAP.

So defensive. Everything you suggested, I had tried. I have gone through 3 phones already. All iPhones. It would work perfectly under a certain software version. Good for you that it works perfectly on your phones. Unfortunately it doesn’t work perfectly on mine and a lot of other fellow owners.
Call me old school but I don’t like the fact that I need to rely on my phone to open my cars door.
Odd, no probs with an iPhone X or SMax. 100% in 6 months.

Reactions: StealthP3D