Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s your main reason for buying a MYLR or MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an early “stealth” performance. Wanted the fastest model but didn’t want the lowered suspension or the bigger wheels… also didn’t want to give up on range. Seemed like a good (if expensive) compromise at the time. If I was getting a new one, I’d get the LR. (And I’d happily pay more for air suspension!)

Just ordered on the 16th

But my 3 was totaled and I have to purchase new car within 180 days to be able to get the sales tax credit from the 3.

So performance it is….which is a bummer bc I much rather have LR with 20” and 7 seats….but I imagine “settling” for the performance fits under the first world problems category 😂
Out of curiosity, have you considered ordering both?

The way the car market is, you could get the Performance much sooner and drive that until your LR 7 seater is ready. Then sell your Performance, based on the pricing you will likely break even, once your LR is ready.

Obviously there is some risk to that plan but if you get to the point where you need to take possession of your LR, if the market got used cars is down you can cancel that order and still have the Performance (which you were getting anyways). Though you would be out the $250 deposit.

Just a thought and curious if you or anyone else in a similar situation has considered this.

These vehicles are so close. Both are fast, one is just faster. Both have stiffer rides but one is softer. Both get more range than most will need 99% of the time (assuming you are charging at home) but one will go further.

You don’t see many, if any, people regretting their decision to get a LR over a Performance or vice versa. I think the reason is that where they are different it is because one of good and the other is better, not because one is bad.

Reactions: ShelJW
I chose the P because I was seduced by the 3.5s 0-60 acceleration. Years ago I said I was either going to drive a minivan or a 2-door sportscar/coupe. I'm not quite at the point in life where I could get into a sportscar, and wife wouldn't let me get a new minivan and said I'm only allowed to get a Tesla (for reasons), so MYP was the sweet compromise between the minivan and sportscar.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Why BEV? Front loaded costs, lower running costs, hopefully higher long-term reliability, better safety, performance, environment.

Why Tesla? Before I ordered, I tested my usual long trips with A Better Route Planner using the cars I was considering. I quickly concluded that only the Supercharger network had adequate coverage in northern NH.

Why the MY? I routinely haul a sea kayak on the roof, so the X was a non-starter. I'm an old inflexible tall guy, so getting in and out of a MY is easier than getting in an out of a sedan. I also like the extra storage space.

Why the LR instead of the P? Why pay more for less range, a less efficient vehicle, a harsher ride, a lower suspension in snow country, and greater tire expenses? The only reasons I would consider the P are better headlights, faster delivery, and slightly better performance. Though Tesla overstates the performance difference by always listing the MYP "with rollout subtracted" but the MYLR "with rollout included," which frankly pisses me off.

Why I almost didn't order a MY: My wife HATES one-pedal driving which Tesla no longer lets you turn off, and she won't drive my MYLR enough to ever get used to one-pedal driving. The turn signal stalk does not latch, which requires the driver to signal differently especially on roundabouts (see wife). It lacks a normal instrument cluster; reading the single screen requires me to wear bifocals. Operating a touch screen requires looking, while buttons often only require feeling. Those annoying door handles; I have arthritis. The low CUV roof in back means my trash cans which fit in my SUV, and before that in my wagon won't fit in the MY. The lack of a rear wiper during pollen season and when the roads are salted. Since I weigh more than 200 pounds and sometimes sit in the back of my SUV, this CAUTION from the owner's manual: "Never load more than 130 lbs (60 kg) on the rear load floor (above the lower trunk compartment) or more than 285 lbs (130 kg) in the lower trunk compartment. Doing so can cause damage." No in-state or near by service center.

However, no car is perfect. For my needs and desires, the MYLR seemed to be the car available today that I would be happiest still driving a decade from now.

MYLR - lower cost and less-harsh ride (owned one with 20" and 19" wheels now). I test drove a Model 3 SR+ and thought I didn't need any more speed than that (lol).

I do have an MYP order that is lingering. If Austin pushes out 4680 MYP then I'm buying that MYP. I don't want a MYP (everything about is unnecessary) but if the latest Austin goodies arrive soon then it's about not waiting 6-8 months for another MYLR.

Best electric platform in existence right now - I trust no one else's batteries

Has a rear hatch (which is why the model 3 didn't make the cut)

Resale value on them is incredibly strong

Goes like stink
I agree which is why I ordered the MYLR today. We were originally looking at buying the “Mach-e” but I had also noticed the battery on our ford fusion energi hybrid has already lost 25% capacity in 2 years with daily Level 2 charging and no setting to adjust it to 80% on the charge. Being someone who has flown electric RC planes for 7 years, I know quality batteries are key. Do I order a car from someone new to the game and has little experience in designing batteries or do I order from someone who practically reinvented the electric car and builds their own batteries? The choice is a no brainer especially when you consider the massive amounts of superchargers around. It’s not even worth the tax credit that others get now and Tesla doesn’t. I’m just hoping for the structural battery pack and being surprised with 20+ extra miles range.

I agree which is why I ordered the MYLR today. We were originally looking at buying the “Mach-e” but I had also noticed the battery on our ford fusion energi hybrid has already lost 25% capacity in 2 years with daily Level 2 charging and no setting to adjust it to 80% on the charge. Being someone who has flown electric RC planes for 7 years, I know quality batteries are key. Do I order a car from someone new to the game and has little experience in designing batteries or do I order from someone who practically reinvented the electric car and builds their own batteries? The choice is a no brainer especially when you consider the massive amounts of superchargers around. It’s not even worth the tax credit that others get now and Tesla doesn’t. I’m just hoping for the structural battery pack and being surprised with 20+ extra miles range.
And to answer the question, MYLR. not a speed seeker but it is nice when having to pass vehicles on the road. Main reason is range, and comfort. We go on a lot of trips and the M3 just wouldn’t be as comfortable especially if you had back seaters. We have always liked the feel of crossover SUVs and this one is the best in that class. I did get the standard tires and grey paint. A little hint to anyone thinking of ordering, currently base MYLR with base everything shows December 2022 delivery. We added on a hitch and that changed the date to august. Who wouldn’t want a hitch on this bad boy anyhow Just in case?

Out of curiosity, have you considered ordering both?

The way the car market is, you could get the Performance much sooner and drive that until your LR 7 seater is ready. Then sell your Performance, based on the pricing you will likely break even, once your LR is ready.

Obviously there is some risk to that plan but if you get to the point where you need to take possession of your LR, if the market got used cars is down you can cancel that order and still have the Performance (which you were getting anyways). Though you would be out the $250 deposit.

Just a thought and curious if you or anyone else in a similar situation has considered this

In Sep 2021, I traded our 2018 LR AWD M3 (with 104K miles) for a 2021 7LR Y ($55K).

Our second car is a 2020 MYP.

Now, Vroom wants to pay $60K for the 2021 7LR Y. Tesla valued the 2020 MYP at $63K. A new 2022 MYP is about $65K.

Always wanted an M3P and range is not any more of an issue since I will be cutting my daily 160 mile commute to about 50 miles a day - so I will trade in the 2020 MYP ($63K) for a M3P ($62K).

Tempted to sell the 7LR Y to get a 4680 MYP.

As for the OP - we had the chance to get one of each. I'd say we will likely keep the 7LR Y for the utility (family of 5), and will let go of the MYP for an M3P (I miss the handling of the smaller and much nimble 3).