Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your home electricity rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
31.8 cents/kwh last month in the Boston burbs. We're supposed to have an add-on solar system installed by the beginning of March that will take us up to 100% coverage of our use and get our house within shouting distance of net zero. I'm ready! Just waiting for battery costs to come down to make us less reliant on the unreliable grid. Seems like one ought to be able to reuse old car batteries in a house where capacity per weight issues are much less pressing.

I am curious what rates everyone is paying on home charging? My current rate is $0.06/kWh

Looking at your bill and including the $11 you posted later for taxes and 'other fees', your charging cost is about 16¢ a kWh ** all included, not too far off the US average. It has been true for a long time in most US markets that the dirtier the electricity, the cheaper the kWh cost to the consumer. There are exceptions though, and the trend (outside of MA and CA ISO markets) is for clean energy to lower consumer costs.

I live in sunny NM and have home solar that I installed. Amortized over the life of the solar array I pay about 1.5¢ a kWh.

Your thread is similar to hundreds if not thousands that have come before. The usual motivation for these questions is to to either inform or gloat to the neighbor that their EV purchase saves them money compared to an ICE. That is a fool's errand, but you can come up with a reasonable energy cost/mile calculation. For you it is ~ 5¢ per mile

** This is the marginal cost per kWh, not the average cost

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
I am curious what rates everyone is paying on home charging? My current rate is $0.06/kWh. Curious because I have nothing to compare to and getting ready to pick up my first EV.
This is not your true $/kWh - you are only looking at the "Purchased Elec Non-Summer" supply charge, ie what you are paying a supplier to generate a kWh of electricity. You second post shows the total picture:

Wasn't sure if my rates were great but sounds like the Midwest has better rates based on the previous replies so far.

Here is my last bill:

Customer Charge $6.69
Meter Charge $4.84
Distribution Delivery Charge Non-Summer 652.00 kWh @$ 0.03889000 $25.36
Electric Deferred Income Tax Adjustment $37.35 @-2.730000% $-1.02
Delivery Service Cost Adjustment $37.35 @ 9.800000% $3.66
TOTAL Electric Delivery $39.53 (sum of above itemized numbers)

Purchased Elec Non-Summer 0-800 kWh 652.00 kWh @$ 0.06249000 $40.74
Purchased Electricity Adjustment 652.00 kWh @$-0.00470705 $-3.07
Supply Cost Adjustment 652.00 kWh @$-0.00046826 $-0.30
Transmission Service Charge 652.00 kWh @$ 0.02349000 $15.31
Electric Supply $52.68 (sum of above itemized numbers)
You have to include all $/kWh charges to get a true cost of electricity, both and distribution (cost to maintain/operate poles and wires, substations, etc) and supply (generation). Total up all the numbers in your example that show "652 kWh @ $0.XX" to get the true marginal cost per kWh.

In your bill above, that's (0.03889 + $0.06249 - $0.00470705 - $0.00046826 + 0.02349) = $0.12/kWh

Note the line that says "Purchased Elec Non-Summer 0-800 kWh 652.00 kWh @$ 0.06249000 $40.74" - once you get an EV, your usage will probably go above 800kWh and put you in a different tier for kWh 801 and up. Whether that is more expensive or cheaper, you will need to look at your rate plan.

Rural mountain co-op, $28/month access charge, $0.134/kWh all day every day + voluntary $0.01/kWh for the local community solar program.

But they're making a lot of noise about going to a peak rate between 4-9pm soon. Will be interesting to see how that breaks out.

This is not your true $/kWh - you are only looking at the "Purchased Elec Non-Summer" supply charge, ie what you are paying a supplier to generate a kWh of electricity. You second post shows the total picture:

You have to include all $/kWh charges to get a true cost of electricity, both and distribution (cost to maintain/operate poles and wires, substations, etc) and supply (generation). Total up all the numbers in your example that show "652 kWh @ $0.XX" to get the true marginal cost per kWh.

In your bill above, that's (0.03889 + $0.06249 - $0.00470705 - $0.00046826 + 0.02349) = $0.12/kWh

Note the line that says "Purchased Elec Non-Summer 0-800 kWh 652.00 kWh @$ 0.06249000 $40.74" - once you get an EV, your usage will probably go above 800kWh and put you in a different tier for kWh 801 and up. Whether that is more expensive or cheaper, you will need to look at your rate plan.
Thank you for the clear explanation!

Reactions: tga
Albany NY area is $0.20/kWh after you combine the electric rate + delivery charge. No residential smart meters here yet, though the utility company has been sending out surveys to customers (targeting EV customers). My response was I would only accept such a service if I could override any power restrictions, even at a cost.

0.075 but seasonally (June - September) if we go over 3kWh on a 'Peak Service Day', it costs $5.95/kWh. There are usually only 5-6 days of the year like this.

I'm debating going to a different rate. Here are my choices. What do you guys think?

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 4.08.27 PM.png

seasonally (June - September) if we go over 3kWh on a 'Peak Service Day', it costs $5.95/kWh.

These are demand charges, and are $6/kW over 3 kW (NOT per kWh)

Although you do not say, demand is typically measured in 15 minute intervals. The peak demand during any 15 minute interval sets the additional charge for the month. Example: Say you pull 6 kW during a demand day for at least 15 minutes in August. The first 3 kW do not have an extra charge, but the next 3 kW add $18 to that monthly bill. This charge can add up pretty fast if you crank up AC and charge your EV at the same time during a demand day. The way to handle this charge is to not charge your EV at home during a demand day, or only at low Amps. Run AC continuously so that it will not have peaks*. If you have an electric on demand water heater, get rid of that POS. If you have a garden variety electric water heater, your choices are a bit more complicated. It should not be too difficult to stay under 3 kW since that is a daily allowance of 72 kWh. Just figure out how to spread your loads across the day.

*This is possible with newer AC units with variable inverters. I'll guess it will also work with 2 stage inverters

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
These are demand charges, and are $6/kW over 3 kW (NOT per kWh)

Although you do not say, demand is typically measured in 15 minute intervals. The peak demand during any 15 minute interval sets the additional charge for the month. Example: Say you pull 6 kW during a demand day for at least 15 minutes in August. The first 3 kW do not have an extra charge, but the next 3 kW add $18 to that monthly bill. This charge can add up pretty fast if you crank up AC and charge your EV at the same time during a demand day. The way to handle this charge is to not charge your EV at home during a demand day, or only at low Amps. Run AC continuously so that it will not have peaks*

*This is possible with newer AC units with variable inverters.

Thank you for that information. Given that, would you stick with that plan or go with the rate plan that gives you 400 kWh for 'free' each month?

I pay $0.11661000 plus $14 base fee and a lot of little "add-on" taxes.
I am also in NC, but in the Charlotte metro. Per the Duke website:

RATE I. Basic Customer Charge per month $ 14.00 II. Energy Charge per month, per kWh* 11.4311¢

From my bill: Basic Facility Charge $14.00 Energy Charge 139.71 Storm Recovery Charge 1,200.000 kWh @ $0.00058100 0.66 Renewable Energy Rider 0.81

Total Current Charges $155.18 Your current rate is Residential Service (RS).Billing details - TaxesSales Tax For Utility $10.86 Total Taxes $10.86
Averages out to $0.138366 per kWh.

Reactions: JTag
SoCal. .26 cents.kWh
Im curios how you arrive at this number while you have utility bill in front of you. Cause they tack 1000 other charges.
Is the best way to divide the bill total with total kwh used that month (I believe that would be all inclusive and fair) ?

I’m in Connecticut and rates seem way too high when I came across .08c or even .26c. Establishing best way to get that number would be first step in clarity.

PS - In CT, with Eversource, it’s around .29c - .32c per kwh which seems very very high (I’m frankly astonished at .08c or anything under .20c)

Im curios how you arrive at this number while you have utility bill in front of you. Cause they tack 1000 other charges.
Is the best way to divide the bill total with total kwh used that month (I believe that would be all inclusive and fair) ?

I’m in Connecticut and rates seem way too high when I came across .08c or even .26c. Establishing best way to get that number would be first step in clarity.

PS - In CT, with Eversource, it’s around .29c - .32c per kwh which seems very very high (I’m frankly astonished at .08c or anything under .20c)
Mine, posted above, was from my bill.