Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What changes to production Cybertruck ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people do not live in SoCal. :)

Wipers are not just for rain and will absolutely be needed. The low slant actually makes it easier for rain and snow to stay on the windshield since there's a lot less air pressure (drag) to push it off. I got 18 inches of snow last night. There's not the slightest chance that a hydrophobic coating nor a couple of lasers can keep up with that. The only way you're clearing that without a wiper is if it has an absolutely insanely powered air-blade.
A wiper wasn't necessary for the prototype (everyone knows what a wiper looks like). It's also possible that Tesla will user their newly patented design which is hidden.

Depends on how those open. From the prototype I was thinking the doors are on the inside of the panels, opening into the Vault. That’d make them the most inconvenient piece of the storage to reach from outside the truck.
Which is why most of these type of things will be located in the frunk.

Depends on how those open. From the prototype I was thinking the doors are on the inside of the panels, opening into the Vault. That’d make them the most inconvenient piece of the storage to reach from outside the truck.

The picture showed them opening from the outside sort of like the side doors on a work-truck canopy:

tesla-cybertruck-sail-storage.jpg

You make it sound like you can actually see out of the windows in that thing! My X is hard to back up except for the reverse camera. They did a great job with that. I only wish they had cams on the corners to help me see on coming traffic as I back out. Some drivers think a parking lot is a freeway and they should be able to drive by me as if I could see them before they are on top of me. At least in the truck you would be sitting up high and likely can see over the vehicles parked next to you, but not always.
I have to use my side mirrors extensively as I back into camp sites. So having to also fight with a wonky steering wheel would be a negative. I am frequently using several hand over hand turns to pull into the often tight spaces. Note we early use KOAs with their nice pull throughs as we normally prefer state and national parks.

I have to use my side mirrors extensively as I back into camp sites. So having to also fight with a wonky steering wheel would be a negative. I am frequently using several hand over hand turns to pull into the often tight spaces. Note we early use KOAs with their nice pull throughs as we normally prefer state and national parks.

I don't see any benefit to that half-wheel they have. Didn't like it in the roadster, don't like it here. Pretty sure it will become round later, unless they just decide to change it to a joystick and call it a day. I'd special order a round one from a 3 and shove it in there if they don't.

I also worry about what could happen if someone were to open the bed while it was covered in snow or frozen closed. I can see mechanical jams causing a lot of unnecessary repair work to the mechanism there if someone happened to push the button at the wrong time. They are going to need to add some sort of heater or temp sensor to that area.

I don't see any benefit to that half-wheel they have. Didn't like it in the roadster, don't like it here. Pretty sure it will become round later, unless they just decide to change it to a joystick and call it a day. I'd special order a round one from a 3 and shove it in there if they don't.

I can't see any way that steering wheel will make it to production. You can pull it off on the roadster but there is no way to go off roading with the truck with a steering wheel like that.

But that defeats the whole point of using only flat sheets of glass/metal to make the car easier/quicker/cheaper to produce.

Tesla doesn't seem to have an issue moving to sculpted all glass roofs even on the cheapest Model 3 - but that's also driven by calculating the cost of setting up separate manufacturing/supply.

Last edited:
The interior rear view mirror might need to be changed as well, since from the test ride videos it only seemed to show the view behind the car. If this current design only has one camera in the tailgate or bumper, it might be nice to have a second one from the rear of the roof, overlooking the bed.

Whenever I drove a truck in the past and had anything in the bed, it was nice to be able to see the load with a quick glance in the mirror while driving, also for those people who would have kids sitting in the back seat. I suppose they could offer the solution that some other new cars have where it switches from a mirror to a camera with the flick of a switch. However with that, if you have small kids in the back seat and also have the tonneau closed you could only see either the kids or the rear view of the road, but not both. Maybe, since there's so much head room is to have double stacked screens, the bottom of which is the mirror/screen switch type (which you'd have to be able to reposition for the reflected view), and the top could switch between the tailgate view or the rooftop overlooking load view. I suppose another solution, since the Model 3 has an interior camera would be to have a single double height screen that offers a split view top and bottom, one showing the interior (if you don't mind looking at yourself too), the other showing one of the outside rear views. I guess the main 17" display could be used to show an inset window with the interior view, or the rooftop view or both to supplement the rear view screen on the windshield.

1) Steering wheel needs to be full circle for backing a trailer and comfort on long trips (multiple grip options)
2) I hope the lack of side mirrors holds (hopefully legislation passes by then) and side mirrors are covered via camera feed.
3) For towing, auxiliary satellite rear cameras should be made available to attach to the trailer which wirelessly stream to the display in the cab. These already exist but currently requires a LCD to be mounted. Integration would be awesome.
4) Keyhole mounts in the sails for (Tesla brand as well as aftermarket) utility racks, etc.

Reactions: seanr
The problem with a lot of our laws is how they are written. They aren't written generically, like "vehicle must have a means to see side blind spots" or "vehicle must have frontwards illumination" they are written specifically like "vehicle must have side mirrors" or "vehicle must have pair of headlights". It doesn't matter if the technology provided meets the same goals, it doesn't check the box in the written law. Those are the things that need to be changed. Laws don't automatically change with the times, that's why we still have laws like "it is illegal to ride your donkey down main street after dark" in some places.

There will definitely be changes to the design. Some of the things though, I'm not so sure about. The comments about the tires, I see pickups with tires extruding beyond the wheel wells multiple times on a daily basis. (Of course this may be done aftermarket by the owners)

At this point the car IS a concept car, but I think the final design will look very similar to today with only minor changes and a lot of "Fill in the blank details".
Of course it will have a windshield wiper, but I bet it will use the new design Tesla just patented.
It does have turn signals.
The steering "wheel" need to be round! (Almost everyone drives one handed half the time with their hand at the top or bottom of the wheel)
Where do you put your phone? I am willing to bet there will be a wireless charger somewhere eventually.
It's a truck, it needs to support a winch.

I highly doubt there is a law that says “vehicle must have a pair of headlights”. If there is, would you be so kind as to link to the relative law code?

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
here took some digging, but here it is for the state of washington (i assume all states would have similar laws)

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/traffic/rules-of-the-road/article22250220.html

Here are excerpts of the relevant laws:

RCW 46.37.040 Head lamps on motor vehicles.

(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two head lamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.

(2) Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in RCW 46.37.030(2).

RCW 46.37.220 Multiple-beam road-lighting equipment.

Except as hereinafter provided, the head lamps or the auxiliary driving lamp or the auxiliary passing lamp or combination thereof on motor vehicles shall be so arranged that the driver may select at will between distributions of light projected to different elevations, and such lamps may be so arranged that such selection can be made automatically subject to the following limitations:

(1) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of 450 feet ahead for all conditions of loading;

(2) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of 150 feet ahead; and on a straight level road under any conditions of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.

RCW 46.37.270 Number of lamps required — Number of additional lamps permitted.

(1) At all times specified in RCW 46.37.020, at least two lighted lamps shall be displayed, one on each side at the front of every motor vehicle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles.

(2) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as herein required is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of two of any such additional lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.

Read more here: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/traffic/rules-of-the-road/article22250220.html#storylink=cpy

At least two, not two. Also, if you cut the beam of light in half, wouldn’t that just be two?

I highly doubt there is a law that says “vehicle must have a pair of headlights”. If there is, would you be so kind as to link to the relative law code?

I wasn't trying to quote specific laws, I was trying to give examples of how laws are written in general and why it is a problem when it comes to innovating new designs for vehicles like the Cybertruck. Our auto laws, and laws in general, need to be changed to become more "objective" oriented so that different routes can be taken to meet those goals instead of doing something the same way every time. Innovation is slowed by law the way things are done now. Thanks for taking the time to actually look something up though!

At least two, not two. Also, if you cut the beam of light in half, wouldn’t that just be two?

Heh, as long as there is a mini-gap somewhere in the middle, I don't see why that wouldn't be legal according to that law ;)

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
here took some digging, but here it is for the state of washington (i assume all states would have similar laws)

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/traffic/rules-of-the-road/article22250220.html

I believe you can find the same wording for taillights, and there are cars where the taillight is clear across the back. The thing is that there are multiple bulbs or LEDs. The same will be true for the headlights. There isn't just one LED in the front, so the requirement is met.