Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What changes to production Cybertruck ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are the wheel width "illegal'? There are light regulations if a vehicle is wider than 80" but the presentation had the Cybertruck at 79.8" so would not require the additional lights (I imagine their measurement includes the fenders). But even if it was wider than 80", they wouldn't be illegal, just be subject to additional regulations.

illegal, not street legal, are we really bent out of shape over a word here?

The Ford Raptor has to abide by the 80inch regulations because of the fender flares.

As for the wheels, regulations are pretty simple. The width that touches the road must be 100% covered by the flare, in the other thread, we were discussing Washington state...

Additional for washington state: (7) Fenders: All wheels of a motor vehicle must be equipped with fenders designed to cover the entire tire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface.

FWIW, the necessary fender flare I drew in would make the vehicle well beyond 80in

Attachments

• Cybertrucka (1).jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 2017-ford-raptor-landing (1).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 42
illegal, not street legal, are we really bent out of shape over a word here?

The Ford Raptor has to abide by the 80inch regulations because of the fender flares.

As for the wheels, regulations are pretty simple. The width that touches the road must be 100% covered by the flare, in the other thread, we were discussing Washington state...

Additional for washington state: (7) Fenders: All wheels of a motor vehicle must be equipped with fenders designed to cover the entire tire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface.

FWIW, the necessary fender flare I drew in would make the vehicle well beyond 80in

How do you know that the measurement provided by Tesla is not the outside of the tire to the outside of the tire? (It doesn't have to be fender flare to fender flare.)

I like the look of no exterior mirrors, just use cameras. Surely Tesla can get the law changed by partnering with other automakers that don't like putting mirrors in the airstream.

But how do you tow a wide trailer w/o mirror extensions? Wireless rearview cameras mounted on the front of the trailer?

Reactions: Electruck
How do you know that the measurement provided by Tesla is not the outside of the tire to the outside of the tire? (It doesn't have to be fender flare to fender flare.)
I question all of their measurements in this case. at least we have an f150 with known dimensions to compare

I drew a white line the length of the f150, 231in, then copied it on the cybertruck which is supposedly 231in
tesla-cybertruck-vs-ford-f150.jpg

I question all of their measurements in this case. at least we have an f150 with known dimensions to compare

I drew a white line the length of the f150, 231in, then copied it on the cybertruck which is supposedly 231inView attachment 482634
That appears to be a F150 wit a 5' bed though. I was looking at all the various pickups driving around my small town and there are an awful lot of them that are quad cab wit 6.5' beds and tonneau covers that have probably never carried more than a set of golf clubs. These things are all over the place. Anyway, from your line comparison it looks like the Fords with 6.5' beds will be about the same as the Tesla

That won’t work because of the perspective in that photo
The F150 in the photo is the SuperCrew+5.5' bed version. That Ford in the photo should be 231.9 in length according to Ford's specs.
The Cybertruck is plainly bigger than the F150 SuperCrew+5.5' bed in the photo.
When Tesla says the Cybertruck is the same size as a Ford, they probably mean the F150 SuperCrew with the 6.5' bed which is specified as being another foot longer at 243.7 inches long.

The F150 in the photo is the SuperCrew+5.5' bed version. That Ford in the photo should be 231.9 in length according to Ford's specs.
When Tesla says the Cybertruck is the same size as a Ford, they probably mean the F150 SuperCrew with the 6.5' bed which is specified as being another foot longer at 243.7 inches long.

At the unveiling they provided specific dimensions. I think it's more likely that you're having trouble interpreting the perspective in the image and adjusting your measurement to account for it than it is that they would outright lie about it.

LoL we are getting some thumbs down for questioning this. If they don't like that perspective here is another. which vehicle is wider? I didn't question 79in wide and 231inch long at first. But then you start to look at the photos, the flares, the tires.... read about regulations for vehicle dimensions... and there are obvious concerns that are completely appropriate for a 'changes to production cybertruck' thread

Tesla-Cybertruck-vs-Ford-F150-2.jpg

At the unveiling they provided specific dimensions. I think it's more likely that you're having trouble interpreting the perspective in the image and adjusting your measurement to account for it than it is that they would outright lie about it.
I scrolled through the unveiling video quickly and did not see them. I will look again. Or if you have a screen grab?

I like the look of no exterior mirrors, just use cameras. Surely Tesla can get the law changed by partnering with other automakers that don't like putting mirrors in the airstream.

But how do you tow a wide trailer w/o mirror extensions? Wireless rearview cameras mounted on the front of the trailer?
Camera extensions as shown in the X. They could even be adjustable for trailer towing vs. no trailer vs. parking.

There are light regulations if a vehicle is wider than 80" but the presentation had the Cybertruck at 79.8" so would not require the additional lights

Do you mean like the amber lights that it has in the top light bar?

Top Amber Lights.png

Why do people seem to think that this is the first vehicle that Tesla/Franz has designed and that they have no idea of what the regulations/requirements are?

No, but even as far back as the Model X they built the initial prototypes without side-mirrors. They did it with the Tesla Semi, they put mirrors on to use it on the roads, and the Roadster as well.
I don't think anyone here is claiming ignorance on Tesla's part. This thread is about what changes need to be made to a production model based on what we know now.
mirrors, wipers, appropriate lighting, changes in flares/move wheels in...
will that half steering wheel make it into production?
Is the front bumper pedestrian friendly?
Was there a bracket for a front plate?

We are discussing legitimate issues and getting treated like trolls.