Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What changes to production Cybertruck ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably mirrors

5E0B059B-52DC-4A3A-81B7-E33D21FE0397.jpeg

Its a truck that has no paint, can be hit with a sledgehammer
But it still needs a garage?

Sometimes you gotta load up Momma and the kids, taking them shopping, school, church, soccer, etc. If it is raining or very cold, much more convenient/comfortable to do that inside a closed garage.

And sometimes there are also car seat issues with younger kids.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Sometimes you gotta load up Momma and the kids, taking them shopping, school, church, soccer, etc. If it is raining or very cold, much more convenient/comfortable to do that inside a closed garage.

And sometimes there are also car seat issues with younger kids.
Right, completely understandable.
It's just some folks seem to be missing the point about what this thing is and why its here.

From Twitter, and interchange with Elon. Yes, there will be tweaks and changes.

Interesting Engineering

@IntEngineering

·
Nov 28

An aerospace engineer couldn't wait to find out, so he tested the truck's aerodynamics for himself.

Tesla's Cybertruck Aerodynamics Do Flow Smoothly, as per an CFD Analysis
An aerospace engineer couldn't bear the unanswered question of whether or not Tesla's new Cybertruck's aerodynamics worked well, so he tested it out for himself.
interestingengineering.com

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

·
4h

With extreme effort, Cybertruck might hit a 0.30 drag coefficient, which would be insane for a truck. Requires tweaking many small details. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient…

Everyday Astronaut

@Erdayastronaut

·
4h

It’d be safe to assume you can’t lower the drag coefficient without changing the overall shape a fair amount though, right? That flat back and flat nose can’t be great for aerodynamics

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to
@Erdayastronaut
and
@IntEngineering
Overall shape is good for low drag coefficient. Matters a lot exactly how you trip airflow at edges & guide air around wheels, like an invisible sculpture.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jerry33
After my initial shock and bewilderment, I have grown quite partial to the CT. It could replace almost all our vehicles on our 'lifestyle' farm.

It is still too long for our environment (South African 'bakkies' - pick-ups - are far smaller but still look huge on the road!) Width/height most probably manageable but I'd love to see Tesla release the CT with a 5'/5' 6" load bay. I suspect the current design is too big for many countries - I know it was developed to chase the USA market.

My other two concerns are the sharp roofline and the sloping high load bay sides (many people have pointed out the limitations with these. I often have rubbish in the bakkie and then want something out the front of the load bay so I would like to be able to just lean over and not need a stepladder or have to clamber over other stuff!) I appreciate that the design allows for the roller load bay cover so it may be worth the compromise. Fold-down flaps under flying buttresses??!

Also I wonder if a short flat area at the peak of the roofline would greatly 'soften' the looks (and broaden the appeal) - can't believe it would weaken the triangular structure significantly.

I suspect that the 'concept truck' shown was rushed out and some changes are sure between now and production.

Also I wonder if a short flat area at the peak of the roofline would greatly 'soften' the looks (and broaden the appeal) - can't believe it would weaken the triangular structure significantly.
It certainly would unless additional bracing (weight) was added. Trapezoids are not structurally stable.

The first iphone presentation was just a little before my time, i think it was 17-18 and not particularly paying attention because there was no way i could afford one away. How was the reception to that?

CEO of Microsoft in 2007...

"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance," said Ballmer. "It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get."

4 years later the iPhone had 30% market share.

Porges, a well respected tech reviewer.

That virtual keyboard will be about as useful for tapping out emails and text messages as a rotary phone. Don’t be surprised if a sizable contingent of iPhone buyers express some remorse at ditching their BlackBerry when they spend an extra hour each day pumping out emails on the road.

AdAge

Prediction No. 1: The iPhone will be a major disappointment.

The hype has been enormous. Apple says its iPhone is “literally five years ahead of any other mobile phone.” A stock-market analyst says, “The iPhone has the potential to be even bigger than the iPod.”

I think not. An iPod is a divergence device; an iPhone is a convergence device. There’s a big difference between the two.

John Dvorak

Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone…The problem here is that while Apple can play the fashion game as well as any company, there is no evidence that it can play it fast enough. These phones go in and out of style so fast that unless Apple has half a dozen variants in the pipeline, its phone, even if immediately successful, will be passé within 3 months.

What Apple risks here is its reputation as a hot company that can do no wrong. If it’s smart it will call the iPhone a ‘reference design’ and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else’s marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures.

Bret Arends (The Street)

There is much to admire about the new iPhone. The hardware looks beautiful and the product is apparently smooth and easy to use. It’s a terrific achievement for Steve Jobs and the Apple team. So give them their moment in the sun.

But beyond all the iHype and iMania, let’s get one thing clear. The iPhone isn’t the future. It isn’t a revolutionary mobile device ushering in a new era.

At its heart, this fancy-looking new product is very old fashioned. The reason: It tries to keep Apple and AT&T in control instead of you.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Krash
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-features-missed-details

"On the plus side, the bed does create a nice, rectangular box with no intrusive wheelwell humps. The bed floor, though, will need reworking before it goes into production. Look at the bed of any pickup truck made in the last half century, and you'll see the floor is wavy, not smooth like the Cybertruck's. It's great that you can lay a sheet of plywood or sheetrock flat in the bed of a Cybertruck, but have you ever tried to pick one up when it's lying flat on a smooth concrete floor? Those little grooves milled into the Cybertruck's bed floor won't offer any help getting your fingers under anything heavy, and between the sail panels and the lack of wheelwell humps, there's no way to go at it except from the tailgate.

All of this doesn't even address the fact the truck, as currently designed, runs afoul of many federal vehicle regulations. Even if it's heavy enough to get Class 3 certification (10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, not great for EV range) and dodge some crash test rules, it'll still need door mirrors and a complete rework of the taillights. Notice how every other pickup truck (and even work vans) mounts its tail lights to the bed, not the tailgate? That's not a trend, that's a law. Tesla's solution in adding a second set of lights that's visible when the tailgate is open is clever, but it's still illegal (this is why the barn doors on the back of a Mini Clubman have cutouts for the fixed taillights)."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-features-missed-details

"On the plus side, the bed does create a nice, rectangular box with no intrusive wheelwell humps. The bed floor, though, will need reworking before it goes into production. Look at the bed of any pickup truck made in the last half century, and you'll see the floor is wavy, not smooth like the Cybertruck's. It's great that you can lay a sheet of plywood or sheetrock flat in the bed of a Cybertruck, but have you ever tried to pick one up when it's lying flat on a smooth concrete floor? Those little grooves milled into the Cybertruck's bed floor won't offer any help getting your fingers under anything heavy, and between the sail panels and the lack of wheelwell humps, there's no way to go at it except from the tailgate.

All of this doesn't even address the fact the truck, as currently designed, runs afoul of many federal vehicle regulations. Even if it's heavy enough to get Class 3 certification (10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, not great for EV range) and dodge some crash test rules, it'll still need door mirrors and a complete rework of the taillights. Notice how every other pickup truck (and even work vans) mounts its tail lights to the bed, not the tailgate? That's not a trend, that's a law. Tesla's solution in adding a second set of lights that's visible when the tailgate is open is clever, but it's still illegal (this is why the barn doors on the back of a Mini Clubman have cutouts for the fixed taillights)."
If you put in an 4x8 sheet of plywood, it's going to stick out the back anyway so the flatness of the bed doesn't matter as 1.5' will be over the tailgate which angles down..
Prototypes are often shown without mirrors, so that's not a big deal and there's little point in calling a prototype illegal. It's not as if Tesla doesn't know the current rules.

Sorry, but it's annoying that everybody and his brother says "it's illegal" when it's still a prototype.

Last edited:
complete rework of the taillights. Notice how every other pickup truck (and even work vans) mounts its tail lights to the bed, not the tailgate? That's not a trend, that's a law. Tesla's solution in adding a second set of lights that's visible when the tailgate is open is clever, but it's still illegal (this is why the barn doors on the back of a Mini Clubman have cutouts for the fixed taillights)."

Are you 100% sure about that? Look at how the Bolt deals with it. Brake lights on the lift gate, and when the lift gate is opened the lights "move" down to the bumper. Essentially the same thing that Tesla showed.