Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What colour will Tesla add in year 2/3 to boost sales?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since many of us are frustrated and whiney about not getting their Model 3 yet and before the US rebate threshold is reached (don't blame Tesla about the fed and state govs' limited incentives for green energy), let's speculate about something safe!

Which colour ("color" in 'murikin) do you think Tesla will add first to spur more sales after the backlog is finished?

I'll start - (British racing) GREEN.

b5mSmd9.jpg

@ölbrenner re your tagline, of course I want a Tesla, and I'll take it on road trips, but how many times have you driven across the country? Is it high on the priority list? Is that their target market?

"trips of 100 miles or more account for less than one percent of all vehicle trips"
Driving across the country is not the entire point. Taking road trips long enough to require relatively fast refueling capability, so you can continue on, is. Tesla's and ICE/PHEV can do that currently, none of the other BEV's can. On to questions:
1) I have tens of thousands of miles driving all over the US
2) Nearing retirement, so yes
3) Of course it's a part of the target market. Why else would Tesla have bothered with nationwide supercharger networks. It's the only reason I myself can't consider any other BEV at this time (wish that were different though).

Driving across the country is not the entire point. Taking road trips long enough to require relatively fast refueling capability, so you can continue on, is. Tesla's and ICE/PHEV can do that currently, none of the other BEV's can. On to questions:
1) I have tens of thousands of miles driving all over the US
2) Nearing retirement, so yes
3) Of course it's a part of the target market. Why else would Tesla have bothered with nationwide supercharger networks. It's the only reason I myself can't consider any other BEV at this time (wish that were different though).
I plan to hit the road on some sort of an interstate trip (which implies a lot, given the size of TX) within a few days of taking delivery. I expect to have an inter-country trip before the end of the summer. It'll be minimum 6,000mi for that. Not sure when a West Coast trip will happen, up through NOCAL and OR, but the first one is penciled in for the first year ('wine tour'). That'll be several thousand, as well.

As for other BEVs, have been happy with the Bolt so far. Do not at all miss my Acura TL that I traded in for it. It's range really works for us day-to-day, even living semi-remote and with 1hr+ trip to kid's college. However no way I'd try take the Bolt on a road trip in this part of the country, and nothing else currently on the market is even in that category. At best the rest would be battery/driver stressing reach just limiting use to a daily commuter for the wife.

So basically the grouping is Tesla <---> Bolt <---> lots of neighborhood hoppers.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
On Topic: Maybe they'll add the one missing current Tesla colour? Obsidian Black Metallic. Although it'll probably be a good while before they have to worry much about sales being limited by demand rather than production.

I'm looking for interesting orange or yellow. Green too, and possibly blue.
Yellow and orange start getting off the beaten path of popularity, seems unlikely:

Best Car Color To Buy, The Monetary Value of Car Color | Kelley Blue Book

But I suppose it could happen.

P.S. Personally I'm still trying to nail down whether I go Red Multi-coat or just black and spend that $1000 difference + another $2500 to wrap it yellow or orange, so I'm kinda with you there. I saw a picture on reddit of an M3 wrapped bright yellow. Just in the factory chrome. It looked brilliant IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Would be nice to see them bring back brown and green! Maybe yellow for the performance model. The fact is though that 80% of car buyers don't want any color on their car (black, white, grey, and silver are the four most popular "colors") so they'll probably just add a couple more shades of grey.