Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What comes with the Founders Edition that isn’t available in the standard production version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, will continous 250 MPH a problem for an EV?

I might be wrong, but my impression of EV is that it can accelerate quickly like from 0-60 but after that, it has a hard time to maintain a constant high speed.

With enough cooling and battery, not a problem. Design wise, you need to gear to keep the motor under max RPM, and also match the current needed to the voltage needed at the top end.

I might be wrong, but my impression of EV is that it can accelerate quickly like from 0-60 but after that, it has a hard time to maintain a constant high speed.

On reason for that perspective, is that EVs tend to store less energy than a gasoline tank. They can get away with that because they are so much more efficient at lower speeds. But when you start getting to really high speeds, the wind resistance becomes a major energy user and the limits of your pack start to become obvious. With 200kWh available, the new Roadster should be more able to sustain high speeds for a meaningful amount of time/distance. Also, if the new Roadster is more aero efficient than competitors, it could get by with less stored energy.

To me, driving cars on the street in USA, speed capability above ~120MPH seems unnecessary. I hope Tesla doesn't have to do very difficult things to achieve top speed bragging rights. There are other questions - like can they do this without a transmission of some sort to switch gear ratios? For instance, would they be able to do 0-60 in 1.9 with gearbox geared so tall to get crazy max speed? Was the prototype car shown capable of 200mph+ or did they start of with a 0-100Mph monster, and plan to figure out the higher speeds later?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Tam
The stats posted (0-60 in 1.9s etc) were for the base model. According to Elon (and some people I chatted with at the event), the
Founders will go beyond.

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 9.53.06 PM.png

Having owned early an early Roadster (1.5 #414) and an early Model S (#26), you are better off with a later production car. On my original roadster I eventually got a 2.5 Sport (#1453) that had much better seats and better entertainment/drive layout. On the Model S, simple features such as PDC were not available early, not to mention AWD, as such I now have a P90D. As such my deposit is for the non-founder model.

Agreed. The more specialized the vehicle the less rational to reserve at all in my mind. I doubt they will be building hundreds of thousands of these.

For this money, lets at least have complete specs and a committed timeline. For me personally, a test drive will be required. Feel free to lend money to Tesla if you like, but I don't see any advantage in placing a reservation otherwise. Buy the stock (or bonds) if you want to support the "cause". If you're buying a car, wait. Who knows what other offerings will be available in 3+ Musk years ...

It sounds like a deposit of $250,000 won't be the actual price.

Could it be $300,000, $350,000 or more with additional options that will be mandatory added on?

On the other hand, could the $250,000 is inflated by an estimated cost based on current battery price and might be much lower in 3 years?
Not sure why you're thinking that. If you go to the reservation page, the base model price is listed at $200K, with a $50k deposit required. And the Founders Edition price is listed at $250K, with full price paid now.

In Germany the price is 215,000 (4,000 initial credit card payment plus 211,000 wire transfer).

The normal roadster deposit is 43,000.

The semi cannot be reserved over here.

This pricing reflects approximately the Euro/USD exchange rate. Obviously the 19 % VAT will be charged at delivery time, so we will end up with a little more in Euro than the US people pay in USD.

Not sure why you're thinking that. If you go to the reservation page, the base model price is listed at $200K, with a $50k deposit required. And the Founders Edition price is listed at $250K, with full price paid now.

That would be my preferred assumption too.

However, legally, it doesn't say it's any where near to a purchase price. It's only a $250,000 upfront reservation payment.

Historically, a base Model S was first quoted as $57,400 (or $49,900 after federal tax credits) but when added paint color, navigation, tech package... my general production model became $100,000 which is about doubling the base price.

The same with Model X base price which was expected to be $60,000 to $70,000 but then when you added options, it was quoted as $132,000 which even elicited a sticker shock from a pro-Tesla Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas.

The same with Model 3 which is quoted as $35,000 but when you add full-self driving and other options, it would also be heading toward the zone of doubling the price (which lacks ludicrous/plaid mode and other mandatory Founders maxed options.)

Base........................$35,000.00
310 mile range battery.......$9,000.00
Optional color...............$1,000.00
Premium Upgrades Package.....$5,000.00
EAP+Full-self Driving........$8,000.00
19" Wheels instead of 18"....$1,500.00
Destination..................$1,000.00
Total.......................$60,500.00

Thus, may be the base price of $200,000 Roadster won't double up to approximately $400,000 with mandatory maxed-out options because this time may be it will be different?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando
Thus, may be the base price of $200,000 Roadster won't double up to approximately $400,000 with mandatory maxed-out options because this time may be it will be different?

Maybe. But $250K is the fully-optioned Founders price. That's not going to be optioned-up, since that price includes all the options. So maybe that's the better deal. Or maybe not.

Feel free to lend money to Tesla if you like, but I don't see any advantage in placing a reservation otherwise. Buy the stock (or bonds) if you want to support the "cause". If you're buying a car, wait. Who knows what other offerings will be available in 3+ Musk years ...
Buying the stock or already released bonds does nothing for Tesla. It does support the stock price for the other investors. Whereas putting down a deposit actually does give them usable cash.

Buying the stock or already released bonds does nothing for Tesla. It does support the stock price for the other investors. Whereas putting down a deposit actually does give them usable cash.

It's true that they get the cash (now) but it also creates a LIABILITY for them (since they must eventually deliver you a car) the production of which will consume all of that cash (and more) before you pay the balance and take delivery. Investing in the issued securities does not create any liability for Tesla.

Supporting the high stock price and helping keep the bonds trading at/near par will certainly do a lot more to help Tesla when they next access the capital markets than a few thousand in cash coupled with a similar future liability.

And from your perspective, you are FAR higher up the capital stack (safer) being in the bonds than as a general unsecured creditor earning nothing (at best) on your money.

I guess it depends on how much you value being "approximately prioritized" for receipt of the car (whatever that might mean).

I've seen a few rumors of what you get in the founder's edition, but has Tesla stated anywhere what the different between the founder's version and the non-founder's will be?

Anyone have any inside info on it?

I personally wouldn't purchase a Founders model. These cars are usually plagued with early production issues and realistically doesn't hold value at all. If we consider histories of the Model S and X, Musk has a tendency to overpromise especially on ETA and when deadlines hit, quality also takes a hit. I returned my early Model X due to all the service calls (in shop for 70 days) as it was nice to have the car as it was first released. There was no real value other than having it early. I see the same here with the Roadster especially with the Founders series. It's an amazing car that Tesla is able to engineer, but I will let them work out the kinks before putting an order in.

Reactions: gowthamn

No problem, as long as you don't want to do it for more than 15 minutes, and if the motor/controllers and tires don't melt. The hard limit is set by energy; there's not enough in this big, 200kWh pack to last more than somewhere between 10 and 17 minutes at 250 mph, depending on where the Roadster's CdA ends up . . .

I've seen a few rumors of what you get in the founder's edition, but has Tesla stated anywhere what the different between the founder's version and the non-founder's will be?

Anyone have any inside info on it?
Tesla has not stated what the differences will be, and anyone who claims to know for certain is either leaking inside information or is simply pretending to know, or is simply delusional.

...But $250K is the fully-optioned Founders price...

You are right Bonnie!

Although Roadster Reservation Terms & Conditions only implies that it's "Reservation Payment" and does not mention an actual purchase price,

However, I look at the website again and I now feel confident that $250,000 is the purchase price because it says "Founders Series Price" not just a "Founders Series Reservation" that might need additional funds at configuration.

upload_2017-12-2_13-15-45.png

Reactions: SpaceCash