Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What defects have you found at/after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 399141

Yikes! Mine is late March build and it’s not the worst paint they’ve ever done, but a ton of overspray. Make sure to make note of everything within the first 100 miles for delivery concerns. This is the sheet I received at delivery.

How odd that they handed you that sheet. It specifically says internal use only, not for customers. Did they really intend for you to have that?

Took delivery of my Pearl white m3 DM yesterday. Here are some items I noticed that were wrong.
1. scratch in between the headlight and where the body meets (1-2 mm)
2. missing paint in the trunk; where the inner portion and strut are located. About 1 mm.
3. driver door doesnt latch correctly when closed with a minimal amount of force. You almost have to throw it in order for it to latch properly.
4. passenger rear door, when closed, protrudes about 1-2 mm out and not flush with the rest of the body.
5. gasket between the 2 glasses on the roof: about 2 mm worth of gasket is tucked underneath the glass when the rest is aligned properly.
6. rear tail light (not charging side) is protruding slightly from the rest of the light; it is not flush with the rest of the body.
7. inner door gasket/seals in the top pillars of the passenger and rear door frames are slightly buckled or have a irregular form.

Overall, Im please with the car but I dont remember having these many issues (albeit minor) when Ive bought new (even slightly used) vehicles from ICE dealerships. At least the delivery advisor took pictures of the discrempancies (so did I). The DA explained that because I was picking up the vehicle at a late time, they couldnt fix the minor paint issues but ensured me it would all be fixed.

Let's see what happens.

Took delivery of my Pearl white m3 DM yesterday. Here are some items I noticed that were wrong.
1. scratch in between the headlight and where the body meets (1-2 mm)
2. missing paint in the trunk; where the inner portion and strut are located. About 1 mm.
3. driver door doesnt latch correctly when closed with a minimal amount of force. You almost have to throw it in order for it to latch properly.
4. passenger rear door, when closed, protrudes about 1-2 mm out and not flush with the rest of the body.
5. gasket between the 2 glasses on the roof: about 2 mm worth of gasket is tucked underneath the glass when the rest is aligned properly.
6. rear tail light (not charging side) is protruding slightly from the rest of the light; it is not flush with the rest of the body.
7. inner door gasket/seals in the top pillars of the passenger and rear door frames are slightly buckled or have a irregular form.

Overall, Im please with the car but I dont remember having these many issues (albeit minor) when Ive bought new (even slightly used) vehicles from ICE dealerships. At least the delivery advisor took pictures of the discrempancies (so did I). The DA explained that because I was picking up the vehicle at a late time, they couldnt fix the minor paint issues but ensured me it would all be fixed.

Let's see what happens.
We would all love to see the pictures you took of these manufacturing anomalies

Reactions: 1 person
Mine was a 12/18 build. Took delivery 4/8/19 (showroom demo car) with 1800 miles. Detailed to look exactly like a new car. Only issue was a small tear in the weather-stripping on the drivers side door, and some very minor panel alignment issues (comparable with every other car I've ever owned). Delivered with only one key fob

Weather stripping replaced during a service center visit a week later. They also programmed and gave me my second key fob then, too

Mine was a 12/18 build. Took delivery 4/8/19 (showroom demo car) with 1800 miles. Detailed to look exactly like a new car. Only issue was a small tear in the weather-stripping on the drivers side door, and some very minor panel alignment issues (comparable with every other car I've ever owned). Delivered with only one key fob

Weather stripping replaced during a service center visit a week later. They also programmed and gave me my second key fob then, too

what kind of discount?

• Love
Reactions: MichaelVorst
As requested here are the pics.

Attachments

• 4B97B746-4F28-4D7D-81EA-E7466883493E.jpeg
    4B97B746-4F28-4D7D-81EA-E7466883493E.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 411
  • 185FBB36-8CAB-4E4C-B60A-DA8D1EE8E00D.jpeg
    185FBB36-8CAB-4E4C-B60A-DA8D1EE8E00D.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 404
  • 4DFB5062-2BF8-4089-998F-4C2F22EB437E.jpeg
    4DFB5062-2BF8-4089-998F-4C2F22EB437E.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 3A0E8107-0A34-4CDC-B025-E589327539CB.jpeg
    3A0E8107-0A34-4CDC-B025-E589327539CB.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 397
  • AAE1B755-A3E5-4A0B-840D-2619F52A1E90.jpeg
    AAE1B755-A3E5-4A0B-840D-2619F52A1E90.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 0F702092-CACE-4946-B84A-F56B03EB06EE.jpeg
    0F702092-CACE-4946-B84A-F56B03EB06EE.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 390
  • A7BF1625-A2C8-4905-80C2-CB4EB0576E0A.jpeg
    A7BF1625-A2C8-4905-80C2-CB4EB0576E0A.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 397
  • C03A3BF6-908E-4F8C-99EC-A89C2F3A37AA.jpeg
    C03A3BF6-908E-4F8C-99EC-A89C2F3A37AA.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 389
Here are mine. Paint nicks on the passenger side rear quarter panel / door.

Already have an appointment in a few weeks for correction (due bill written up on delivery day / comp detail).

No panel gaps or any other major "wtf" observations.

(Early-Mid April build / Burbank delivery center)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 394
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 386
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 388
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
To read posted paint/ fit & finish quality stories doesn't register as well as seeing pictures. Really a shame as a lot of this stuff has to be poor QC from the factory and cannot be blamed on Transport. Secondly if some of it is due to transport the SC should assume the responsibility of fixing it and not attempt to pass off to customer.

Thank you for posting pics.

To read posted paint/ fit & finish quality stories doesn't register as well as seeing pictures. Really a shame as a lot of this stuff has to be poor QC from the factory and cannot be blamed on Transport. Secondly if some of it is due to transport the SC should assume the responsibility of fixing it and not attempt to pass off to customer.

Thank you for posting pics.
Absolutely. Made it worse when the delivery advisor called me yesterday stating I could pick up the vehicle on Tuesday versus Friday (original pick up date) AND told me they were detailing the car. As to the car washing technique, I give them an "A." It was washed and dried very well, even the tire wet did not transfer to the rims (which is a common error when detailing vehicles). I agree, if you're combing through these cars and someone like myself or others on these forums are able to catch discrempanices, why are they being missed in the QC when they see hundreds if not thousands of these cars a week/month?

Here are some defects, April 11, 2019 build.
Missing Clips in the tire well.
Missing paint in both from door jams and trunk hatch.
3 door panel misaligned and one having a weird plastic piece stuck over the window seal.
Rear passenger door, completely not attached window seal.
The car was very loud at highways speeds, I wonder if the loose and unattached windows seals were the culprit.

The entire car in some places worst than others has the common tesla orange peel. Which I can accept but, the paint on my has a large number of particles under the paint.

Hey bud what did Tesla do with the problems you noted? I'm about to pick up delivery on Saturday. What tips can you give me to look out for? and once I find defects do I mention it right there? What will they do at that point?

Hey bud what did Tesla do with the problems you noted? I'm about to pick up delivery on Saturday. What tips can you give me to look out for? and once I find defects do I mention it right there? What will they do at that point?
Definitely point out EVERYTHING you find wrong at the time of delivery/pick up to the advisor. My advisor took pics and made notes in the system. They told me because I was picking up the vehicle when most technicians have left to schedule a service appointment and everything will be covered under warranty. The minor paint issues I had will be taken care of as well.

Here is a little background and what I found next day after delivery :(

Originally I was assigned a VIN on March 16 with a delivery date of March 23rd, but I was going to be out of the country between 3/21 and 4/1 and they couldn't hold it for me because they need it to deliver it by 3/31 (for their Q1 numbers I guess).

On my return, I called (4/2) regarding my M3 status and I was told it should arrive after 4/7 (I live in Florida) and I should receive an email/text with the final delivery date (same process as the last time). Two days later on 4/4 they called me and told me that my Model 3 was ready (no txt, no VIN under my account), and I could pick up my brand new car the same day which I agreed, this call was in the morning and during my lunch I went to my local CU and got a Cashier Check. This is Miami, on this specific day it rain the whole morning, so when I went in the afternoon (5PM), it was cloudy and the car was in the parking lot (with a couple of water spots).
We did a quick look around and I only found two small marks, one in the bumper and another one on the rear light (passenger side) not a big deal, and as I said before, the day was not clear and the car wasn't too clean, not the best scenario to do a full inspection because of the low light reflection.

I drove the car to my mother in law house which it has a fence and the car sleep there, it didn't have the last firmware and I got 2019.8.5 and I start using the sentry mode to see how many miles it will eat. The next day after a deep look I found an scratch on the passenger side from the front to the end, which ended in the rear light which I saw the day before. I never call to Tesla to complain, I read many times here once you accept it in that condition during delivery, I'm screwed :mad:.

Until now, I'm still believe this was a rejected car, because I got the car 2 days after I call without any information before that, and I was suppose to arrive after 4/7, specially in my case that I live in Florida. The car only only had 20 miles on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2796.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2801.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 324
Here is a little background and what I found next day after delivery :(

Originally I was assigned a VIN on March 16 with a delivery date of March 23rd, but I was going to be out of the country between 3/21 and 4/1 and they couldn't hold it for me because they need it to deliver it by 3/31 (for their Q1 numbers I guess).

On my return, I called (4/2) regarding my M3 status and I was told it should arrive after 4/7 (I live in Florida) and I should receive an email/text with the final delivery date (same process as the last time). Two days later on 4/4 they called me and told me that my Model 3 was ready (no txt, no VIN under my account), and I could pick up my brand new car the same day which I agreed, this call was in the morning and during my lunch I went to my local CU and got a Cashier Check. This is Miami, on this specific day it rain the whole morning, so when I went in the afternoon (5PM), it was cloudy and the car was in the parking lot (with a couple of water spots).
We did a quick look around and I only found two small marks, one in the bumper and another one on the rear light (passenger side) not a big deal, and as I said before, the day was not clear and the car wasn't too clean, not the best scenario to do a full inspection because of the low light reflection.

I drove the car to my mother in law house which it has a fence and the car sleep there, it didn't have the last firmware and I got 2019.8.5 and I start using the sentry mode to see how many miles it will eat. The next day after a deep look I found an scratch on the passenger side from the front to the end, which ended in the rear light which I saw the day before. I never call to Tesla to complain, I read many times here once you accept it in that condition during delivery, I'm screwed :mad:.

Until now, I'm still believe this was a rejected car, because I got the car 2 days after I call without any information before that, and I was suppose to arrive after 4/7, specially in my case that I live in Florida. The car only only had 20 miles on it.

Sorry to hear this; however, it looks like it’s a superficial or clear coat scratch which can be removed by any paint correction. Disclaimer: I’m not a paint body shop expert but I’ve detailed cars for about 6 yrs.

Reactions: Federico
3/19 built

took delivery on 4/10/19 and besides a badly done buffing job in the back rear arch and the front bumper, no complaints.
the buffing should be fixed by someone who knows how to operate a buffing machine, next time i need to take Mr. Vader in

sorry the April '19 builds were not as "diligent"

Wouldn't say all April builds have issues.... zero complaints here. Delivery was great - washed, detailed, tires shined etc - charged up to 100%. It's so dependent on delivery center, I think. Nothing but amazing things to say about the Paramus NJ center!

View attachment 399147 View attachment 399148 View attachment 399149
Agree. I had a good experience in Charlotte, NC. The only thing I've noticed (and I'm not going to call them out on it either) is that the sides of the hood are a little lower than the body of the car.

I never call to Tesla to complain, I read many times here once you accept it in that condition during delivery, I'm screwed :mad:.

I took delivery outside in the rain and with flat light conditions also. Like you, the more I inspected the car, the more defects I found...However, Tesla agreed to correct every issue I asked about. Contact Tesla and let them know your concerns and forward them photos of the damages you are concerned about. Let them know, because of the weather and delivery conditions, you could not properly inspect your car. It's worth a try ......

Reactions: Federico