Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What defects have you found at/after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long are some of you inspecting your cars during delivery? I pick up my car on Saturday and don’t want to seem weird pouring over every inch of the car (which I will)

Also, how do I check for orange peel, car will be a gray colored. Also I was planning on driving the car straight to a ppf/tint shop. For a full front xpel treatment. Should I hold off the detailer for a week to make sure any/all defects are corrected first?

How long are some of you inspecting your cars during delivery? I pick up my car on Saturday and don’t want to seem weird pouring over every inch of the car (which I will)

Also, how do I check for orange peel, car will be a gray colored. Also I was planning on driving the car straight to a ppf/tint shop. For a full front xpel treatment. Should I hold off the detailer for a week to make sure any/all defects are corrected first?

My advice is to take lots of photos with a decent camera. Just in case you don' notice on the first pass or if they pressure you. But take your time and check everything, inside and out.

I took delivery at home on a showroom car in April (2018 model). Was concerned about how it might have been treated on showroom floor. It was a clear day and we went over the car with a fine tooth comb (3 of us).

The guy who did the delivery said to take your time looking it over especially since he knew that we weren’t going to spend any time having to have him explain to us how to use the car as this was my second Tesla.

Car was amazingly well detailed and only thing we could find was the front wheel well cover wasn’t installed quite right. Still driveable but needed fixing. A mobile service truck was sent two weeks later and car is now perfect.

We were truly amazed inside and out how clean the car was and no scratches at all! Oh and $14,400 off sticker!

Reactions: ColoradoFun
View attachment 399058 View attachment 399059 View attachment 399060 I had a couple minor paint defects and a crooked steering wheel after taking home delivery last night. Super excited for the car, and not our first Tesla. I have no doubts Tesla will address these minor issues. But, I’m curious what others have seen as far as defects and damage to their new cars.

Only significant problem was this scratch by the door hardware. Obviously an assembler's screwdriver slipped. But we spotted it 3 weeks after taking delivery and Tesla refused to repair it.
Scratch on inner door.JPG

• Informative

Better to just let the detailer handle it since you’re paying for a paint correction there most likely anyway. That’s what I did as Tesla would have taken weeks to address the minor paint issues we found. By that point we would have collected several nasty rock chips.

Update: took my vehicle into the SC to have all the issues I found at delivery to be fixed. They all are being addressed, but they’re going to have to keep the car over the weekend because the paint detailer wasn’t there to fix the minor paint issues. They gave me a model S as a loaner in the meantime. Will keep y’all updated.

Just picked mine up. It’s was raining and gray so was tough to give the car the inspection I wanted. It looks like the paint was in good condition and panels looked uniform for the most part. I have it in my garage and will give it a closer look today. Inside everything that should work, works. Fabric is perfect. Mine came with the 15-60 adapter.

One thing that was slightly annoying is the car was supposed to have 3 miles on it and was transferred from a dealer a state over and I took delivery with 73 miles. They never stated it was going to be driven here,

Appointment for a front half suntek ultra i Tuesday.

Is it normal for the car to make slight “electronic” noises while parked and off in the garage?

Just took delivery this morning. Everything is ok, only two minor paint issues but that can be fixed easily later. Only thing that I also noticed is the scuff marks underneath the side way like people have told before, but it looks minor to me and can be buffed out later. Apparently they did not do a good job at detailing and since mine is black paint, it looks a little bit dirty plus it was raining in our location. Still nothing major that I have not discovered yet.

• Informative
Just picked mine up. It’s was raining and gray so was tough to give the car the inspection I wanted. It looks like the paint was in good condition and panels looked uniform for the most part. I have it in my garage and will give it a closer look today. Inside everything that should work, works. Fabric is perfect. Mine came with the 15-60 adapter.

One thing that was slightly annoying is the car was supposed to have 3 miles on it and was transferred from a dealer a state over and I took delivery with 73 miles. They never stated it was going to be driven here,

Appointment for a front half suntek ultra i Tuesday.

Is it normal for the car to make slight “electronic” noises while parked and off in the garage?

I went through the increased mileage at delivery last week. My car also was dirty, had some scratches and paint issues. I regretfully took delivery and then raised hell. You can find my post on the forum. Tesla eventually made it right but you should be pissed about the miles IMO.

I wouldn’t be thrilled about 73 miles. But if it was just the distance between the two places it’s not the end of the world.

My car came with 4 miles on the clock. Not sure where those miles came from, either. But maybe just burn in.

I agree, if they tell you prior to delivery that it will be transported that way and the miles add up. The other thing to consider is how the car was driven. Was it driven like it was stolen or was it babied. To some this doesn't matter, to others it does.

It’s nearly exactly the distance between the 2 and the car paint aside form one tiny dime size smudge of so,we black glueish spot and a slght scuff on the back bumper it’s perfect. I thoroughly checked the front bumper since the whole 70 miles was crappy highway and it’s perfect. The 2 front headlights seem a bit off. I’m not sure if it’s the design or fit issues.

A bit hard to photograph. But where I’m pointing too has a decent overhang. Certainly not flush with the bumper below. Is that by design?

2448A65E-6C11-4656-A33B-9D7608442EB1.jpeg
62DEB927-8FD1-4057-9D69-A72CCFD1414D.jpeg
8FF8DF62-AB69-4ED7-967C-6AA9641C5249.jpeg
1A7F04CC-ADB9-4F0D-93BA-C401B540B60A.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
It’s nearly exactly the distance between the 2 and the car paint aside form one tiny dime size smudge of so,we black glueish spot and a slght scuff on the back bumper it’s perfect. I thoroughly checked the front bumper since the whole 70 miles was crappy highway and it’s perfect. The 2 front headlights seem a bit off. I’m not sure if it’s the design or fit issues.

A bit hard to photograph. But where I’m pointing too has a decent overhang. Certainly not flush with the bumper below. Is that by design?

View attachment 404098 View attachment 404096 View attachment 404095View attachment 404097
I had the same issue, according to my SC, it's "fine & within spec." However, the tech told me he would do his best to align the headlamp with the adjustment screws in the back of the housing.

• Helpful

I took about 1hr-1.5 hrs inspecting the vehicle. In no way did I feel rushed (even though they scheduled the delivery appointment 30 min before they closed). If they even tried to rush me, I would stop them dead in their tracks. I, personally, want to take as much time as I need in order to feel confident I have reviewed the vehicle for any issues.

View attachment 404098 View attachment 404096 View attachment 404095View attachment 404097

My P3D picked up Thursday is the same. Doesn’t bother me.

I got my car in late march, i had read of the paint issues people were having, so i went to delivery with that in mind. I even asked the DA if the car was inspected and perfect, he said oh yes we wouldn't assign you a VIN if the car wasn't ready.

When i check the car out, immediately the driver door has a big chunk taken out of the paint, about 1.25" long and 1/4"tall its all the way down to bare metal and already has surface rust. just below that chunk the rocker panel has deep scratches. the passenger rocker had what looked like someone leaned on wet paint and both doors had surface scratches around the door handles. I tried to deny delivery but was excited to get the car and the DA assured Tesla would sort it out for free. the DA took photos and once again assured me it would be handled in a timely manor.

The next morning i said i want to return the car as i knew it was gonna be a pain to deal with and didnt want the hassle. they said ok bring it back, you'll have to re-order a new car and the wait could be 2 weeks, first car only took 23hrs to get. i said thats fine give me my trade in back as i need a car until the new one shows up. they said sorry your trade in is gone and your on your own until the new tesla arrives. basically made it impossible for me to return the car. remember it was 5pm when i took delivery, i wanted to return at 9am the next morning and was told no way i could have my trade in back. They said a due bill would be created within 24-48 hrs. So i waited for someone to call me about sorting the issue out, 5 days go by and that never happens. I text the DA, and he says i need photos and descriptions of paint damage. (they took pix at delivery) i sent pix and again waited for 5 days no call no email nothing. So i made my own appt at the local service center, which the earliest was 3 weeks away. when i take it in and describe what happened the SA looked at me like i had 4 heads and said he's sort it out. 3 days later he says he is waiting on Freemont to approve the work. I say why, it was documented at delivery and he says there is no due bill for the work. 3 more days go by and he cant get it approved to be fixed, so i text the DA, he says the due bill was created a month ago, and the SA cant find it because they got a new computer system. and the due bill is in the old system. So i goto the SC and explain whats up, he finds the original due bill which is only for the driver side, we email the DA and explain it needs to be for both sides of the car, they make another due bill and hopefully the car is going to be done in a few days. At delivery, at the SC and by the manager at the SC i was told they are under staffed and overworked. Love my car hate the way Tesla is currently running things
IMG_5611 2.jpg
IMG_5611 2.jpg
IMG_5609 2.jpg
IMG_5610 2.jpg
IMG_5607 2.jpg
IMG_5606 2.jpg

I got my car in late march, i had read of the paint issues people were having, so i went to delivery with that in mind. I even asked the DA if the car was inspected and perfect, he said oh yes we wouldn't assign you a VIN if the car wasn't ready.

When i check the car out, immediately the driver door has a big chunk taken out of the paint, about 1.25" long and 1/4"tall its all the way down to bare metal and already has surface rust. just below that chunk the rocker panel has deep scratches. the passenger rocker had what looked like someone leaned on wet paint and both doors had surface scratches around the door handles. I tried to deny delivery but was excited to get the car and the DA assured Tesla would sort it out for free. the DA took photos and once again assured me it would be handled in a timely manor.

The next morning i said i want to return the car as i knew it was gonna be a pain to deal with and didnt want the hassle. they said ok bring it back, you'll have to re-order a new car and the wait could be 2 weeks, first car only took 23hrs to get. i said thats fine give me my trade in back as i need a car until the new one shows up. they said sorry your trade in is gone and your on your own until the new tesla arrives. basically made it impossible for me to return the car. remember it was 5pm when i took delivery, i wanted to return at 9am the next morning and was told no way i could have my trade in back. They said a due bill would be created within 24-48 hrs. So i waited for someone to call me about sorting the issue out, 5 days go by and that never happens. I text the DA, and he says i need photos and descriptions of paint damage. (they took pix at delivery) i sent pix and again waited for 5 days no call no email nothing. So i made my own appt at the local service center, which the earliest was 3 weeks away. when i take it in and describe what happened the SA looked at me like i had 4 heads and said he's sort it out. 3 days later he says he is waiting on Freemont to approve the work. I say why, it was documented at delivery and he says there is no due bill for the work. 3 more days go by and he cant get it approved to be fixed, so i text the DA, he says the due bill was created a month ago, and the SA cant find it because they got a new computer system. and the due bill is in the old system. So i goto the SC and explain whats up, he finds the original due bill which is only for the driver side, we email the DA and explain it needs to be for both sides of the car, they make another due bill and hopefully the car is going to be done in a few days. At delivery, at the SC and by the manager at the SC i was told they are under staffed and overworked. Love my car hate the way Tesla is currently running things

Those photos are terrible, how could they let it leave the factory like that?!