Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do we want to know from the first person to get AP2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO the 4 v 8 camera thing is pure marketing. They are not going to train & maintain 2 versions of the AP neural net when they use the same sensor suite, regardless of the option. Any restrictions will have to be about what type of road it can be activated on, and what it is being asked to do (summon into a nearby parking space vs summon from 100 miles away).

Yeah, but do you have any idea why they write 2 "redundant" forward looking cameras? First of all, the three forward cams have different optics (narrow, wide and main/std.). Second, the 2 ones they allegedly have active cant *both* be redundant, wouldnt you agree?

I dont get it.

Yeah, but do you have any idea why they write 2 "redundant" forward looking cameras? First of all, the three forward cams have different optics (narrow, wide and main/std.). Second, the 2 ones they allegedly have active cant *both* be redundant, wouldnt you agree?

I dont get it.

I think this means that they believe the system can work with just the main cam, like AP1 does, with the other "redundant" cams adding detail. When the 3 feeds are blended, the extra detail will significantly increase the quality of the visual data, but if some of that data is missing, the system can still operate (but at a lower level of confidence).

Radar not heated. Same on X and facelift S. Located behind facelift front, no need apparently

Tiple cam heated through heating wires concentrated in windshield in front of tricam housing (two orange stripes, clearaly visible from outside).

Rest of cams most likely heated by virtue of heat wire around lens - see the prominent plastic rings around each cam lens (also on new backup cam, available on X since summer 2016)

I think it is needed, as driving through snow would disable the radar which pretty much kills AEB. And certainly FSD.
Until recently the radar could not cause braking action on its own. It adds a safety margin but I would not be so sure it is necessary for anything, especially with 3 forward cameras. If the radar failed I would expect something like the car increasing its minimum follow distance. It's not going to pull over and shut down.