Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Itā€™s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now weā€˜ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, itā€™s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

Is the Yale Conexis L2 any good? Seen some videos of the L1 and the Bluetooth phone functionality looks pretty clunky/terrible

I think all so far seem to need the app to unlock which is a disappointment. Iā€™d hoped for something more like how tesla handles it - in the background and you press a button or something to unlock. Iā€™ve just ordered the ultion nuki so Iā€™l lhave a go.

Upvote 0
lol I literally just kicked myself out. Was wearing shorts as it was hot and didnt swap my keys over. Son was in the house so popped ti the supermarket not realising he left for the gym before I got back

Could have sat in the car but the ice cream would have melted. ā€˜I should have a spare key in the gloveboxā€™ I thought to myself

Then I used the random bit of old steel rod Iā€™d bent into a sort of boomerang shape to poke through the letterbox and turn the inside handle and break in. Luckily my son hadnā€™t locked the door when he left

I should check out these smart locks..
I hope you didn't share the ice cream with your son as he left the door unlocked. Let that be a lesson for him šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Upvote 0
Itā€™s not a replacement lock. The Nuki sits over the key and literally just turns the key. You attach it to the euro cylinder with some grub screws or a sticky pad directly to the door, depending on your door. Very simple to fit. The hardest part may be replacing the euro cylinder, if need be, but thatā€™s literally one screw to remove and replace.
One more question - ours have key hole only in one side - does the Nuki smart lock works with that type of door?

Upvote 0
One more question - ours have key hole only in one side - does the Nuki smart lock works with that type of door?
When you say key hole one side, do you mean the inside of the euro cylinder has a thumb turn? If so, that makes it slightly easier as you donā€™t need to replace the cylinder and the Nuki just sits over the thumb turn (or you might need an adapter that Nuki will supply). If you donā€™t have a thumb turn, how do you lock/unlock from the inside? A pic will help.

Upvote 0
When you say key hole one side, do you mean the inside of the euro cylinder has a thumb turn? If so, that makes it slightly easier as you donā€™t need to replace the cylinder and the Nuki just sits over the thumb turn (or you might need an adapter that Nuki will supply). If you donā€™t have a thumb turn, how do you lock/unlock from the inside? A pic will help.
Sorry didnā€™t understand one bit. Btw, what I meant was We can put in the key only from outside - we canā€™t use the key inside but we have something to turn to lock from inside see pic 1 - outside and pic 2 inside.

IMG_2371.jpeg
IMG_2370.jpeg

Upvote 0
Tangent:

is there any advantage to routinely closing the door WITH the multipoint? Does it "leverage" the door more-closed?
With the multipoint engaged there are 4 additional locking points plus a deadbolt to the latch - so the door is more secure, On the central latch alone applying pressure to the very top or bottom of the door does flex the door and you can push it away from the sealing rubbers but if someone wants to get in they will.
People rely on Euro Locks and yet they are so easy to overcome unless you have the ABS Exocet Eurolock, A standard Eurolock can be bypassed within seconds - the ABS system has Anti snap, anti bump, pickproof and the keys are made to each lock - so only the company can produce a key with your code and proof of purchase.

Locks on anything are simply a deterrent - go pick on an easier target - you can only introduce a delay to enter by your choice of locks.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Upvote 0
Sorry didnā€™t understand one bit. Btw, what I meant was We can put in the key only from outside - we canā€™t use the key inside but we have something to turn to lock from inside see pic 1 - outside and pic 2 inside.

View attachment 971533View attachment 971532
The bit on the inside is whatā€™s called a ā€œthumb turn.ā€ The Nuki will sit on top of this. If it doesnā€™t fit, you may need to remove the large part (there should be a grub screw holding it in place) and use an adapter that Nuki supply to fit it.

Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
The bit on the inside is whatā€™s called a ā€œthumb turn.ā€ The Nuki will sit on top of this. If it doesnā€™t fit, you may need to remove the large part (there should be a grub screw holding it in place) and use an adapter that Nuki supply to fit it.
So, the Nuki is fixed inside on top of the thumb turn and if it doesnā€™t fit I have to remove the thumb turn and use an adapter? Is it a difficult job removing the thumb turn and fixing an adapter as my DIY skills are from patchy to nil.

Upvote 0
So, the Nuki is fixed inside on top of the thumb turn and if it doesnā€™t fit I have to remove the thumb turn and use an adapter? Is it a difficult job removing the thumb turn and fixing an adapter as my DIY skills are from patchy to nil.

check their website. They provide free adapters but you have to let them know what type is needed - lots of info and pics to help. It looks pretty straightforward - the adapter goes over the shaft that the thumb turn was on, and the frame of teh nuki fixes over it.

Reactions: Cardo and spdpsba
Upvote 0
Is the Yale Conexis L2 any good? Seen some videos of the L1 and the Bluetooth phone functionality looks pretty clunky/terrible
I replaced mine with a Nuki because it was pretty useless. It would lose connections to the NFC cards quite often and trying to add it to HA with the Zwave adapter was so awkward I just gave up in the end. It's quite fidly to fit as well and then very obvious you have a smart door lock from the outside.

The Nuki is more expensive, but takes 5 mins to fit, the bluetooth auto opening works just like the Tesla with no setup needed and you can get a rechargable battery for it which is nice!

• Informative
Reactions: thax1 and Zilla91
Upvote 0
Takes maybe 30 seconds, just undo the thumb turn and take it off, pop on the adapter and then put the Nuki over the top. It's super simple!

Reactions: spdpsba and Cardo
Upvote 0
As others have stated, itā€™s very easy. If you have a look you should be able to see a small grub screw somewhere on the thumb turn ā€knobā€ that you remove probably using an allen key. Have a look at the brand of euro cylinder and you can request the appropriate adapter. If you canā€™t tell the brand, the adapter order page has a guide on the different shapes and sizes.

Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
What a remarkable thread! I never knew it was all so complicated.

I lock my door and put the key in my pocket. (Thereā€™s a key with a friend for emergencies but I canā€™t remember ever having to resort to using it.)
We leave alls the doors locked, except the front door when we walk the dog. Normally we exit the garage in the car, and the garage door is the security. When we got home in the new car without the garage door opener, I realized I hadn't carried a front door key for about 10 years, ever since I got a wireless key fob for my Infiniti. Never put a house key on it, never needed one before, etc. Now we have to come up with a place to hide a key.

Upvote 0
As others have stated, itā€™s very easy. If you have a look you should be able to see a small grub screw somewhere on the thumb turn ā€knobā€ that you remove probably using an allen key. Have a look at the brand of euro cylinder and you can request the appropriate adapter. If you canā€™t tell the brand, the adapter order page has a guide on the different shapes and sizes.
Ultion Nuki vs Nuki - any difference?

Upvote 0