Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you see are the advantages of the Model 3 over future competitors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla makes great vehicles although not as bullet proof as more established and perhaps staid makers like Toyota.

Besides options like AWD/Dual Motors, enhanced auto pilot, autonomous driving, fleet learning, and not having to deal with profit-minded dealership who recommend so many services to make a quick buck, what other advantages do you see owning a Model 3?
Fleet learning
Tesla explains how its entire fleet is learning to be better self-driving cars together

Like many of you, I don't want to get caught in a situation where analysis paralysis overtakes my buying decision.

The Supercharger network enables long distance travel. Other electric vehicles can't easily travel across the continent.

Good point. I doubt these charging consortiums can't easily replicate the SCN though I don't do a lot of cross country driving in Canada (maybe if I was in America, it would be quite different) to have to worry about the presence or absence of charging stations.

though I don't do a lot of cross country driving in Canada (maybe if I was in America, it would be quite different) to have to worry about the presence or absence of charging stations.
You don't have to drive "cross country" to make use of the charging network, just a trip past what your range is - if there is a charger in that direction you need it to be.

But to your original question, one thing I see as a value as a car buyer is that Tesla is dedicated to BEV's. They don't make, or have ever made, any car driven by fossil fuel. So they have no fossil models to take into account when designing their cars, and no models they are afraid to cannibalize. And I see them as a driving force behind the ongoing transition from fossil fuel to electricity. Yes, others have also great BEV's, but would they had it if it was not for Tesla?

And maybe I'm dumb and easily fooled, but I do believe that Elon is serious about whats he is doing and care about our planet and humanity, and that it is the driving force behind what's he and Tesla is doing. And that is something that gives me some value if I know I have given my support and money to the "good guys", and not someone that is forced to produce BEV's to not fall to far behind Tesla in this transition.

... but to be clear, that is not the only reason, all the reasons pointed out above this post is also a part of it all.

I see it as the only no-compromises EV here in the US. Where do other vehicles compromise?

Price
All other EVs are either way above their comparable price points for the class (i3, Leaf, Bolt), or are currently vaporware. Even the Model S & X compromise when it comes to price. They are just not affordable to own for the vast majority of people.

Travel
As others have stated, lack of serious distance travel makes all but Tesla vehicles a non-starter for anything outside of a city car. These may be perfect for some people who only stay in a city, or who live in denser or EV friendly areas, but for most of the US it simply doesn't work.

Looks
Let's be real. Some EVs look horrid. The i3 and Leaf really are punishment cars meant to move most people considering them to other, higher margin, gasoline vehicles. The Bolt isn't too bad, but I wouldn't say it's a super good looking car either. I think Tesla, VW, Kia, and Hyundai are the only manufacturers who have delivered an EV that isn't trying to make a statement or deter people from using it.

Size/Form Factor
There are only two vehicles currently that don't compromise on size, the S & X. Every other EV (with the exception of Hyundai) is a compact or subcompact hatchback. The US market wants sedans and SUVs! These cars are clearly designed for other markets.

Dealerships
Not having to do the stupid sales process is something only Tesla offers. With other manufacturers you have to deal with being upsold on features or service every time you come in. The salespeople will stop at nothing to make an extra buck. And if you want a specific combination of trim/colors/features, forget it. They only have very specific (read: high margin) trims available and throw in mandatory unnecessary accessories at your expense. If you don't want those, you'll need to pay a premium (not get a discount and pay list price) to custom order your vehicle, and that's assuming you find a dealer that will even do that for you!

One of the underlying draws to the Mod3 is it's performance. Most other EVs seem to be designed and marketed to appeal to the "green" consumer, and so have performance numbers that closely match that of traditional fuel-sipping econocars. Fortunately the Mod3 suffers from no preconceived constraints beyond the precedences set by the S and X, as far as driving dynamics go.

One of the underlying draws to the Mod3 is it's performance. Most other EVs seem to be designed and marketed to appeal to the "green" consumer, and so have performance numbers that closely match that of traditional fuel-sipping econocars. Fortunately the Mod3 suffers from no preconceived constraints beyond the precedences set by the S and X, as far as driving dynamics go.
This is the reason I was surprised GM made the Bolt do 0-60 in under 7 seconds.

Reactions: wallet.dat
Good point. I doubt these charging consortiums can't easily replicate the SCN though I don't do a lot of cross country driving in Canada (maybe if I was in America, it would be quite different) to have to worry about the presence or absence of charging stations.
There is no fast charging network of any kind that allows cross-Canada travel. It's my pet hypothesis that Musk hated his time here.

I'm kinda surprised OTA updates didn't make the list yet. With most cars there is something in the UI that isn't great and you have to compromise on, and Tesla is no exception to this - except that Tesla is continually improving theirs and will make your car better in later years.

Compared to Tesla's target benchmarks (A4/3xx/C class) it also benefits from instant torque and smooth silent drive. An unexpected favorite in my X is Bioweapon mode - love having those filters on all the air I breathe.

I'm also puzzled by the goal of this thread - you started off by discounting half a dozen major advantages Tesla has, then ask what their advantages are? I would have thought just the things you listed would be ample reason to buy the 3.

The coming "Tesla Network" that will compete with Uber.

For the first time ever, a car can be an income producing asset rather than a depreciating one.

It will allow people to essentially get a free car
by having the car go out by itself and pick up customers while you work or sleep. Sure, it might not be immediately available when the 3 launches but I would be surprised if it took longer than a year after launch, at least in some markets that aren't as strict regulation wise.

I know a lot of people on here say "I would never rent out my baby Tesla". Well thats great, but imagine the millions who have the option of buying a new Corolla for 20K or a crappy used car for 10K or getting a Free Tesla as long as they put it to work when they are not using it. No-Freaking-Brainer.

I think there are many reasons why the Model 3 will have an advantage over the competition, but the biggest factor for most is the appearance. It is not a car that looks like an electric car. I don't understand why manufacturers purposely make electric cars ugly or stand out (bad paint colors, poor visual design, etc).

Also, you need to give Tesla credit for making the electric car easy to use, the large screen is intuitive, driving is easy if you are able to understand basics of movig the selector from 'P' to 'D' and overall an easy transition from an ICE with the greater range offered over its competitors. Who wants a BEV that only does 80-100miles?

Since almost all ICE manufacturers make attractive looking cars, I think an appropriate question is why don't they make attractive EVs. I think it is fairly simple, as Jerry McGuire, Deep Throat and Karl Marx have said in various ways "Follow the Money." Here is an Edmunds article from a few years back about dealership profit centers.

Where Does the Car Dealer Make Money? - Edmunds.com

Clearly one of the differentiators between EVs and ICE vehicles is that EVs are inherently lower maintenance - particularly with a much simpler engine. That means if an ICE dealership were to have an attractive, overwhelming popular EV that would take away sales from their ICE vehicles, they would be losing much of their total profit, from the nearly half (according to the Edmund's report) generated by their service centers, and another large fraction from having fewer long term trade ins for their used car sales, which generate about as much profit for a dealer as their new car sales.

Imagine, a new Tesla 3 rebadged appropriately at a Mercedes, BMW, GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, etc. dealership A customer comes into the dealership looking at a car in the $30K+ price range, mostly likely an ICE. S/he sees the Model 3...

Just driving to the next city that is a few hours away knowing that there will be a working place to quickly charge is enough.

I ordered a Model 3 because it will (probably) be in my garage while other manufacturers are still parading EV concept cars. For them it's got to be either boring or ugly or weird and available in "a few select markets", or else "the car of the future."
Tesla is in the business of building cars of the future now.
9/10ths of success is showing up, and Tesla, unlike its competitors, has shown up.
Robin