Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of this? Early buyers of Tesla's Model 3 get two choices: color, wheel size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if it were just paint and rims, I think you guys are forgetting that the first 10-15k cars will be going to Tesla employees. By the time they ramp up enough to get to all the "regular" folks that browse this thread - there will likely be additional options available. Not everything mind you, Not a performance edition, maybe not even AWD yet (especially for West Coast folks who supposedly would get the first wave of public deliveries) but I'm confident more than just rims and paint.

I think that that if whatever the configuration options are don't allow for a $35,000 car to be built that Tesla will have a PR issue - who knows though. Guess we will find out soon enough.
I really doubt that there will be such a problem. Initial builds of a wide variety of products are quite limited at launch then are more varied later. The Tesla past suggests the first builds will be loaded except for items that add manufacturing complexity, such as performance versions and dual motors. I do not understand why that is difficult to understand. Equally obviously the base versions, at $35,000, will also come alter. Why would they do it differently?

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
I didn't read all the comments above because I'm a little busy at the moment. But I'm thinking those 2 options are pretty much what you will be able to choose from because they are making the first run with all the most popular features already on the car. Bigger battery, glass roof, leather seats.... whatever their research said would be most popular so that most people in the beginning won't really be sacrificing a lot. Then in a couple of months they will offer a smaller battery and a couple more options. Then when the dual motor is released a few months after that a few more options will be released. Like performance model and sas, then a few more options after that.

That's just my initial thoughts.

I think that that if whatever the configuration options are don't allow for a $35,000 car to be built that Tesla will have a PR issue - who knows though. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Only for those who have a short memory or haven't been following the Model 3 since inception.

If you go back a few years the story was: $35K car in 2018.

A more recent vibe is: Model 3 starts production in July 2017.

Note those are two different statements. Never did Musk specifically combine those and say "you can get a $35K model 3 in July 2017". Never happened.

Still there will be negative press the second someone goes in and maxes out the configurator. The headline for some sites will be Model 3 comes in at twice the expected cost (or some other click bait equivalent).

But once they are pumping out tens of thousands of cars and get deep into the queue the word of mouth from owners will hopefully take over and wipe away the click bait.

• Helpful
Its been speculated that larger battery comes first, and we've seen nothing but glass roof so far
"Speculated" being the key word there. ;) And there has been a sighting of a metal roof 3 on the Fremont test track. But I agree that almost all 3s sighted so far have had glass roofs.
Aren't initial deliveries, employees? This could be just for them?
You are correct, the first several thousand 3s (we don't know the exact number) are for Tesla and SpaceX employees.
Even if it were just paint and rims, I think you guys are forgetting that the first 10-15k cars will be going to Tesla employees.
Right. Which is why I think it unlikely that 2017 production cars will be far above the $35K base price.

Elon has emphasized over and over again that the 3 is a mass market car at $35K and has said that (paraphrase) "Even with no options the Model 3 will be an incredible car". It would not look good for the first 10,000 cars to cost $45 to $50K.

Which is why I expect 2017 production to all be with the base battery size (since higher capacity batteries are one of the most expensive options) and the only options will be EAP or FSDC (since the hardware is present in every car by default) and the color/wheel choices Elons mentioned. Possibly one or two other options, as Elon left himself some wiggle room with his shareholder meeting comments.

Stock price and wall street before customers.

Early buyers of Tesla's Model 3 get two choices: color, wheel size

Buyers of Tesla Inc's (TSLA.O) upcoming Model 3 car will only get two choices in configuration, a policy that will let the company quickly ramp up production of its mass-market vehicle, Chief Executive Elon Musk told investors on Tuesday.

If what you are saying is true, it is an automatic cancel for me. I am ok with not being able to upgrade things like head lights or sun roof. A must have for me that would break the deal is the ability to upgrade the battery on order.

AWD/RWD and Battery are the two important things for me and can not be upgrade after purchase. If Tesla can say there is a way to guarantee Model 3 battery can be replaced with 75 or high battery, then i can think about it, but would still cancel.

I already have a 70D Model S, any smaller battery to be is worthless, especially living in Southern California where driving is a big deal.

• Informative
Employees of SpaceX and Tesla are at the front of the line. By the time they work through that, I'm sure there will be more options. But I doubt they will ever have all the various combinations that the X had at the beginning (even that has been pared back). It's too expensive to do that on a mfg line.

Bottom line: You will all likely have more options to choose from when your number comes up. And if what you want isn't yet available, delay ordering until it is.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Just a thought... We know that the only choices will be color and wheel size, for ease / volume of manufacturing at release next month. Given that the number of configurations is something "less than 100", and a half dozen x 2 wheel sizes is not even close to 100, I am thinking that the only physical choices will be color and wheel size, but there will be some small number of additional choices that are software-only. This could allow a software-locked 60kwh battery (75kwh physically), which would allow them to hit the $35k price point, and various higher value features such as Adaptive Cruise / Auto Pilot, pre-paid SuperCharging, etc. that would be enabled without changing the manufactured physical SKU.

That's the only way everything that has been said about the initial car makes sense. A small set of physical SKUs, but several software options. That gets you to roughly 100 total configurations.

• Helpful
Just a thought... We know that the only choices will be color and wheel size, for ease / volume of manufacturing at release next month. Given that the number of configurations is something "less than 100", and a half dozen x 2 wheel sizes is not even close to 100, I am thinking that the only physical choices will be color and wheel size, but there will be some small number of additional choices that are software-only. This could allow a software-locked 60kwh battery (75kwh physically), which would allow them to hit the $35k price point, and various higher value features such as Adaptive Cruise / Auto Pilot, pre-paid SuperCharging, etc. that would be enabled without changing the manufactured physical SKU.

That's the only way everything that has been said about the initial car makes sense. A small set of physical SKUs, but several software options. That gets you to roughly 100 total configurations.
I believe the 100 possibilities are when all options are available, months from now, not next month.

Limited choice doesn't mean less features.

The early consumer (non employee) offering could have 2 options because everything else is included. They will be fully loaded, highest cost, biggest margins. This is how they recoup their investment, just like the Model X. Build the expensive versions first.

• Helpful
Limited choice doesn't mean less features.

The early consumer (non employee) offering could have 2 options because everything else is included. They will be fully loaded, highest cost, biggest margins. This is how they recoup their investment, just like the Model X. Build the expensive versions first.
Right, but two factors I think should be considered: 1. Tesla will get a lot of bad press if the initial car doesn't have a way to get to $35k, and they will have trouble with their overall mission if they "pop the clutch" (er, whatever the EV version of that is) on the Model 3 release. Elon has already observed that the company is a "drama magnet", and I doubt they want to add to that. 2. Nearly all of those high price options have a zero marginal cost in manufacturing. All of the FSD sensors, for example, are already built in; it's a software flag whether they are used or not, and to what level they perform. Combining the two points suggests that they really can have a very streamlined manufacturing line, with very few physical SKUs, yet offer something on the order of 100 option combinations right out the door.

The only big ticket item (non-zero manufacturing cost impact) in the lot is the battery, and they have proven that they are able (we'll see about willing) to make that a software lock item. A lot of arguments on both sides of this one. My suggestion is that if (big "if") they are able to make the financial model work with a software locked battery, they will have both "options" at release.

In the future, they will add the AWD and performance options, different roof styles, interior trim, etc. Those definitely impact the manufacturing line, but note that not all of the mathematical combinations of options are necessarily going to be available. I expect that more of the options will get bundled as new things get added, keeping the total number relatively low.

Anyway, that's my prediction. 7 weeks to know.

• Helpful
I think something many people are also forgetting is that Tesla/Elon did say that "highly options versions" first (here and here)

So if you take that into consideration, my view is that he's saying for the initial builds you can pick a color.. you can pick your wheels.. but if you dont want Option A, B, and C, we're going to build yours a little later, because all of the first batch will include Options A, B, and C.

I believe this will be exactly the case. Only the highest optioned 3's will be produced first - all initial deliveries will automatically have a glass roof, enhanced audio system, lighting pkg, etc... - so it's technically true that you'll only be able to choose from wheel size/type and exterior color.

I believe this will be exactly the case. Only the highest optioned 3's will be produced first - all initial deliveries will automatically have a glass roof, enhanced audio system, lighting pkg, etc... - so it's technically true that you'll only be able to choose from wheel size/type and exterior color.

Most likely the 3's that will first come out are highest optioned firmware enabled-wise. Everything that is not turned on or off by a switch will just be unnecessary complication for a young car maker that's not renowned for reliability right from the get go.

Hopefully black is still the default color.