Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does it mean when a problem is escalated to engineering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a Tesla Model S75 2017 at the SC for nearly a week on an issue of "Car needs service, power reduced" with about 6k miles on the car. Bought brand new. Problem manifests itself after cruising at 65mph-75mph for about 30-40 minutes. When it comes on, my acceleration is slow to a snail.

I know this problem could be related to anything. But, what happens when any problem is escalated to engineering? I mean, what is involved? Ship back to CA to have it root cause? An engineer fly over to the SC to do the root cause? What usually happens? This is just a curiosity for me.

Have a Tesla Model S75 2017 at the SC for nearly a week on an issue of "Car needs service, power reduced" with about 6k miles on the car. Bought brand new. Problem manifests itself after cruising at 65mph-75mph for about 30-40 minutes. When it comes on, my acceleration is slow to a snail.

I know this problem could be related to anything. But, what happens when any problem is escalated to engineering? I mean, what is involved? Ship back to CA to have it root cause? An engineer fly over to the SC to do the root cause? What usually happens? This is just a curiosity for me.
Engineering is likely looking at the logs to troubleshoot. No need for the car (or engineers) to travel. :)

Reactions: cmaster
Unfortunately, I didn't get a Tesla. I got an Enterprise Luxury rental from TESLA. Supposedly, their luxury rental for me that day was a Hyundai Sante Fe Sport. When I saw the car, my heart fell to the ground. Tears were flowing down my cheeks. What a disappointment. I think Enterprise is scamming me.

TESLA said they'll reimburse me on the gas as long as I keep the receipt. I'm disappointed with the Hyundai being considered luxury at Enterprise rental, but, it is what it is.

hope you got a Tesla loaner.

That is totally unacceptable... you bought a new Tesla. The least the company could do for the manufacturing defect would be to make sure you were driving in a P100D while they fix up your new car. If they actually did this, you'd probably get your 75 back in perfect working condition, yet be disappointed and then upgrade to a P100D... it would work out well for all

Typically means that there is no known workaround that the service center or support folks are aware of, and that someone with engineering access to the product will check what data is available (including the logs) to comment on what the problem could be. Sometimes the engineer will be able to tell the service center what part to replace.

You gotta be kidding!
My car was in the SC for 6 weeks in 2017.
Got an Enterprise loaner for 5 weeks.
I often think back to 2013 as to how different service was back then. :(
I like having tesla loaners, too, but I think we might be a bit spoiled. When I had a Mercedes, I only got an MB loaner once, and it was a lower class (C class vs. E). that was years ago, don't know what current practice is. But when I see cars marked as loaners, they are not usually the big classy jobs, they are smaller cars.

Dam. Please don't let me be out of a Tesla for 5 weeks. I wouldn't be able to go back to my childhood hometown to show off my car for awhile. I skipped out on one important event there already because my TESLA was in the shop and I had the loaner. Felt so bad driving the loaner to people who know I have a TESLA.

These people would start to spread rumors which would in turn lower my self-esteem further. Remember, I already felt disappointment from having my car at the SC. This lowering in self-esteem will make me feel worse. I just hate working hard for something, and then get disappointed. I'm sure everyone is. I got to be strong. Keep telling myself, "OK, just stay strong! And, please don't let anyone else die before I get my TESLA."

Sorry for ranting. I'm not old by the way. People in my hometown is just getting to that age.

You gotta be kidding!
My car was in the SC for 6 weeks in 2017.
Got an Enterprise loaner for 5 weeks.
I often think back to 2013 as to how different service was back then. :(

... their luxury rental for me that day was a Hyundai Sante Fe Sport. ...

Thank goodness Enterprise still had some luxury rentals left. If they only had economy rentals, it can get really rough:

14566415.jpg

• Funny
Seriously:

All car companies have situations where a repair is escalated to engineers. This occurs when the service manual flowchart (on-line reference materials today) does not solve a problem, nor will just a phone call. Then it's put into the queue, and addressed in the order they are received. So queue length and the talent of the engineer who is assigned the work order # determines the completion date.