Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does this do? (holding "T")

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tried it and saw the menu on my 70D.

Has anyone tried this on a test drive yet? Does it actually change performance if something is selected?

Curious to hear wk057's thoughts.
I'm on 2.16.17 FW and I have the same menu on my 70D also. Haven't tried it yet. We 70D users need a speed bump anyway since it already is software limited.

Sadly wk057 has been MIA since they changed the look of the website.

He does have his own website wk057's SkieNET but currently no forum. Appears to still be active hacking away.

Went for a drive today with the menu activated. I didn't notice a power difference but did notice that when closing out of the window, it'd always default back to 70 when I opened it again (I have a 70D). I tried driving with the menu open set to "Max" to see if there was a noticeable difference.

Can anyone confirm what's going on here? Is this just a menu left over accidentally by Tesla that doesn't change performance or perhaps only works when the car is in some sort of demo mode?

On a P85D yes and most likely do works as its used on those cars trim to show the different power level to future customers during test drives.
I'll want to play around with power tools for actual measurement, but I was at 90% SOC this morning and selected "max." I launched from a complete stop and lost traction to a greater degree than I'm used to. Probably just a placebo effect, but we'll see what power tools has to say.

I set mine last night on the way home to "70" and plan to drive it that way for a few days. The difference is obvious even with 3/4 accelerator press.

I'm curious how the following compare for my car...
  • Performance Mode off
  • "90D"
  • "Max"
... but my back's been hurting since this weekend so I want to wait for that to heal up first.

PerformanceMenu_P85DwL.png

Last edited:
Works on my P90DL with latest firmware.

The menu is a bit buggy (whenever you open the screen it defaults to 70, so to be sure you have chosen the right option you need to select something you don't want, and then re-select the thing you do).

The difference is immediate and obvious when I choose 70 - as you'd expect.

And... though it's probably me imagining things... I think that "max" feels quicker and more aggressive than normal. So this could potentially be the option MotorTrend got access to. Or it could just be that "P90D" means insane and "Max" means ludicrous.

And... though it's probably me imagining things... I think that "max" feels quicker and more aggressive than normal. So this could potentially be the option MotorTrend got access to. Or it could just be that "P90D" means insane and "Max" means ludicrous.

Hmm, actually maybe I retract that.

Looking at people's photos it seems that it offers a list of the lesser performance variants relative to the car you're in, plus "Max" which presumably means the vehicle's full native power.

So on mine it lists 70, 90, 70D, 90D, P90D (i.e. insane) and then Max meaning ludicrous.
On another photo from an insane P90D there was no P90D option in the list; just the first 4 and then max.

Sorry, no 2.6s to 60 here today methinks :-(

@mgboyes - I think you're theory is close but I'd be willing to bet lunch my P85D (lud) can beat a P90D (non-lud) off the line. As such, I think Tesla's algorithm is "lacking" because it doesn't give me an option to compare "P90D non-lud" with "Max".

Also, it would be nice to have "P85D non-lud" in there so I can use the feature to evaluate the $5000 I spent to upgrade the fuses, etc.