Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What exactly is included in the $2,000 Autopilot option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the price to add "Autopilot" to my six-month old Model X appears to be down to $2000.

Can someone explain exactly what features that would give me? I gather it can do highway driving, and maintain the distance between me and the car ahead, like Adaptive Cruise Control, is that correct?

That alone may be a good deal, but what else can it do? A lot of what I found when I looked on-line seemed to describe previous options, not the current two options "Autopilot" and "Autopilot + Full Self-Driving Capability". The Tesla website is clear that Summon, AutoPark and Navigate on Autopilot are in the FSD package.

While lots of people have answered this question confidently, that doesnt’t mean they know what they are talking about. I purchased AP for my S about a week ago and it includes a fully functioning Auto Lane Change and Summon, which only means it can enter and exit my garage with my oversight. It also tends to lose its connection, which is consistent with how Summon poorly works on my 3.

Will Auto Lane Change and Summon be taken away from my S later? The answer is we will never know because I just purchased FSD before the price yo-yo’s up again Monday. But what we do know is at least one customer received Auto Lane Change and Summon as part of the “new” AP software:) (I don’t use Autopark so I don’t know if it is present on my S.)

My theory is they gave me what my EAP trial a year ago included because I have Summon but not NOA, which wasn’t available during my trial. Anyone else have the same experience?

Last edited:
So the price to add "Autopilot" to my six-month old Model X appears to be down to $2000.

Can someone explain exactly what features that would give me? I gather it can do highway driving, and maintain the distance between me and the car ahead, like Adaptive Cruise Control, is that correct?

That alone may be a good deal, but what else can it do? A lot of what I found when I looked on-line seemed to describe previous options, not the current two options "Autopilot" and "Autopilot + Full Self-Driving Capability". The Tesla website is clear that Summon, AutoPark and Navigate on Autopilot are in the FSD package.

Everything I have seen listed on the Tesla site suggests you are correct on Summons, AutoPark, and NavOnAP now being part of the FSD package. Like you, when I got my X (May 2018) it was $4,000/5,000 and had these. So I have no issue with the repackaging and price changes.

It is stupidly confusing. I have EAP with 2.5 hardware on the car (delivered 6/18). If I have it right, the FSD option, if purchased, will allow me to upgrade to the 3.0 computer (when available), which will then support further levels of autonomous driving features. Right now, if purchased, it makes no changes to the car or the car's function. If I don't purchase it, I will never get the 3.0 computer and any of the newer autonomous driving features. I will, of course, keep the EAP features I currently enjoy.

It is stupidly confusing. I have EAP with 2.5 hardware on the car (delivered 6/18). If I have it right, the FSD option, if purchased, will allow me to upgrade to the 3.0 computer (when available), which will then support further levels of autonomous driving features. Right now, if purchased, it makes no changes to the car or the car's function. If I don't purchase it, I will never get the 3.0 computer and any of the newer autonomous driving features. I will, of course, keep the EAP features I currently enjoy.

That is what I think too!

I bought because plan to keep car 15-20 years. Maybe when it’s unsafe for me to drive, car will drive me around safely

IMO the car will never last that long. And since it's all tech now, it keeps changing so fast your hardware will be antiquated and not be able to support all the new software and features 10 years from now, IF fake self driving ever comes to fruition. Despite whatever promises elon gives.

Agree, LoveMX...the chip/computer can be upgraded to 3.0 anytime. And who knows if the price will ultimately drop below $2000. Anyone's guess. Today, we know for a fact it goes back up to $3,000 on Monday.
However, in hearing Elon talk about the increased computing power of the 3.0 hardware, I think there will be additional improvements to EAP long before any 'full self driving' is available.
Advanced summons? More cameras associated with sentry mode? Better blind spot detection? Who knows what the enhanced computing power will offer.
I am dropping the bucks now, even if it just means an enhancement of my EAP features.

See attached image

Attachments

• D0t9coCWoAA4pzk.jpeg
    D0t9coCWoAA4pzk.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 188