Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features are coming for HW1 AP drivers...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think HW1 will get better integration with NAV - i.e., if you have Point B programmed in and it requires you take exit 38B from I-10 to I-55 to get to Point B it will execute that.

I think HW1 will continue to get better at the things it already does as well.

@fasteddie7 I personally don't believe HW1 will ever recognize and react to traffic lights and stop signs. I just don't think HW1 has enough sensors or processing power for heavy surface street usage. I would be happy to be incorrect though.

Mike

I think HW1 will get better integration with NAV - i.e., if you have Point B programmed in and it requires you take exit 38B from I-10 to I-55 to get to Point B it will execute that.

@fasteddie7 I personally don't believe HW1 will ever recognize and react to traffic lights and stop signs. I just don't think HW1 has enough sensors or processing power for heavy surface street usage. I would be happy to be incorrect though.

Mike

We've been told the camera has red pixels, so the car knows red objects as distinct from the rest of the environment - I think identifying and stopping for red lights and stop signs is well within the capability of AP1 hardware. Of course, it'll never be able to know when it's safe to go at a stop sign, so it'll have to put the car in hold mode and wait for the driver to hit the pedal. The traffic light might well be outside the camera's field of view once the car stops at some intersections too, so it might not be able to resume at a light.

If you look at the video wk057 pulled out here, you'll see that it isn't a wide angle lens...

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
I'd like it if they would turn Speed Assist loose on TACC. It is (mostly) activated under AutoSteer and TACC, but not TACC alone. I'm pretty sure my sensors are better than AP1 sensors -- I can handle it! The camera sometimes misses the speed limit sign? Well, it does that under full AP1, too. Maybe they are afraid it will surprise me and I can't handle the car suddenly speeding up or slowing down? So put a chime or something before changing speed.

Speed Assist under TACC alone actually works now -- if you hold back the TACC control wand (assuming TACC is already set). But that's not practical...

Mike
The mobileye camera definitely has the ability to read stop signs and red lights, Elon even says this himself in the video in post #8, so I would be shocked if that functionality didn't come to ap1, even though I'm sure that a user would have to tap the accelerator or pull the stock to get moving again after stopped since the vehicle can't "look both ways". All of the data from ap2 should benefit ap1 as well on the software side.

I'd say stop light and red light detection, enhanced summon on your own property, and on ramp,off ramp. Really I think the only things ap1 won't get is automatic passing (without turn signal input) and the ability to make left and right turns ( although in theory and time, the vehicle could be at a stop sign or light, you put on the turn signal, then tap the accelerator and app makes the turn) but with no side cameras to see the road that it is turning on, that might be a little beyond the capability of hardware.

I agree, these would all be great and I feel totally doable! (and I do feel tesla sorta owes it to us...)

Reactions: fasteddie7
I think a doable feature would be add stop light and stop sign detection to FCW. If the system detects you are about to run a stop it can alert you. Could also eventually add AEB if the detection gets good enough.

Whitelists and fleet learning - two of Tesla's biggest unique strengths right now.

If I'm already downloading a geotagged list of radar objects, why not have the fleet add all the stop signs and traffic lights they see to a geotagged list, too?

Then you have a back up to the camera recognizing it at night in the fog - the car already knows it should be coming up on one based on past experience.

My friends, I am realistic (+1 disagree). I don't foresee big improvements to the HW1 platform-based software (+2 disagree), because it has now been superseded. I have no problem with this - I am extremely happy with the car as it is. My plan is to wait until the full autonomous capability has been implemented and also the laws in my state have been amended to allow the use of it. (Being 65 years old, in perfect health, and living in Alabama, I am not confident I will live to see this). If and when this happens, by that point, the wheels will be falling off my 2016 MS, and I will buy the new car with the new hardware and everything, so that it can take me, without my intervention, to my nursing home.

The way it works is Tesla teases us with various "possibilities" with a hardware rev. Shortly after that rev releases it gets firmware updates for the next 18-24 months or so.

At some point we realize what they teased couldn't possibly work because it's missing something vitally needed. Or we read so many stories of specific types of crashes while owners are using various features (summons, auto-park, etc) that our excitement is dampened.

Then just in the nick of time Tesla will come out with the new hardware rev with sky high expectations for the rev, and this signals the start of the next cycle.

Now you might say "Hey, that's no way too do business", but in some ways it makes sense. You get a faster development cycle that way. Tesla doesn't have to wait to finish the software before releasing the hardware.

It does put bit of a strain on the engineers though. Software engineers get mad that the hardware engineers designed them into a corner, and the hardware engineers are annoyed that software takes so damn long.

I guess the trick is to always buy the next rev that will accomplishes the promises of the previous rev.

So if you don't have AP then get AP2
If you have AP1 then get AP3

That way you're always getting what you were wrongly jealous of when your HW version became obsolete.

I'd say stop light and red light detection, enhanced summon on your own property, and on ramp,off ramp. Really I think the only things ap1 won't get is automatic passing (without turn signal input) and the ability to make left and right turns ( although in theory and time, the vehicle could be at a stop sign or light, you put on the turn signal, then tap the accelerator and app makes the turn) but with no side cameras to see the road that it is turning on, that might be a little beyond the capability of hardware.

I have a horrible feeling they'll class most of those as self driving to justify the pack. Elon already said self driving is 3 to 6 months away so it's certainly not going to be the car taking you to work like the demo video, it's going to be something much simpler and I suspect some me will argue they thought it would be an AP feature.