Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the cpo inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*&#$^# residual values. Those people already have Tesla cars. :p

Lol. :) Just wait until you get one, then a month later find practically the same car, maybe even with the one extra option you wanted but didn't get, for $5K less. I can't seem to find a specific thread but I remember one person venting on Tesla forums how he lost $5K in 1 month (not sure how that's considered a loss unless he was selling, nonetheless, he was furious).

I hope you find the car you want that fits your budget, you buy it and enjoy it, regardless of where the CPO market goes. Btw, there is a forum member who said he'd sell his 70D for $60K (see Used 70D Pricing - Page 2) - not sure if he was serious or just trying to get other people to lower their selling prices, but if he was, it may work for you - D and AP.

Lol. :) Just wait until you get one, then a month later find practically the same car, maybe even with the one extra option you wanted but didn't get, for $5K less. I can't seem to find a specific thread but I remember one person venting on Tesla forums how he lost $5K in 1 month (not sure how that's considered a loss unless he was selling, nonetheless, he was furious).

I hope you find the car you want that fits your budget, you buy it and enjoy it, regardless of where the CPO market goes. Btw, there is a forum member who said he'd sell his 70D for $60K (see Used 70D Pricing - Page 2) - not sure if he was serious or just trying to get other people to lower their selling prices, but if he was, it may work for you - D and AP.

Thanks.

I should be immune to losing money on a Tesla after purchase. I don't care about money. I just want a Tesla. :) Or should I say, I only care about money insofar as I have enough of it to buy a Tesla that meets my requirements. Still waiting on that lien release for my old non-Tesla I need to sell first...

One additional note about lien releases. Apparently waiting on them has been a sticking point for people, as there is a new law going into effect next year that will require the lien holder to send you your lien release within 1 week after paying off the car. I've been waiting coming up on two weeks now.

umm....try 10K in 1 week :crying:...yes that's what they wanted to give me in trade in when i inquired about upgrading to an AP....thankfully they didn't have what I truly wanted at the time....so I just had to be content with driving Sergei's old car.

umm....try 10K in 1 week :crying:...yes that's what they wanted to give me in trade in when i inquired about upgrading to an AP....thankfully they didn't have what I truly wanted at the time....so I just had to be content with driving Sergei's old car.

No, no... that's not a fair comparison. There was no car depreciation here - that's just he difference between trade-in price and sale price. Tesla would have sold it at the same price, they just need to trade it in lower to leave room for their costs and of course profit.

If you can find one with an extended warranty, I find that there are a lot of compelling private sale deals out there that are way better than tesla cpo pricing. I'm not sure why everyone is so gung ho on cpo cars. It's the same car.

EXACTLY! CPO isn't the only place to get a used Tesla. Private party has some advantages too... no sales tax in plenty of states, lower prices etc. The basic warranty still applies. I got mine private party a year and a half ago and have put over 50,000 miles since...with very few issues. Look on Autotrader, Ebay, Cars.com, TMC Classifieds etc...

To all in this thread, I am basically the exact same boat as Skotty, and after googling "what happened to the Tesla CPOs, I ended up here and have been lurking for two weeks. Decided I better join the forum if I am going to be an owner soon. Thanks to all for the good information! Nice to know I am not alone in the quest for a CPO, at a reasonable price. All the best!

To all in this thread, I am basically the exact same boat as Skotty, and after googling "what happened to the Tesla CPOs, I ended up here and have been lurking for two weeks. Decided I better join the forum if I am going to be an owner soon. Thanks to all for the good information! Nice to know I am not alone in the quest for a CPO, at a reasonable price. All the best!

Welcome to the forum. What kind of car are you looking for?

I ideally want a P85, blue, green, or grey, with grey interior, pano roof, tech package, sound studio, and 19" wheels.

As all of my preparation involved eliminating other debts, I don't have a lot of free cash for deposit, taxes, and up front costs. So if I want to buy soon, I have to sell my Chevy Volt first. Paid it off weeks ago. Still waiting on the lien release...

So is there a definitive answer to what happened to all the CPO cars?
Yes, but it is a secret...

(The CPO cars were pulled from the inventory for use as service loaners because Tesla was running short of their own cars and had been using rentals. The CPO inventory will build back up over time as more cars that meet the standards — good condition and fewer than 60k miles — are traded in and converted to CPOs.)

Hi All!
Brand new here...picking up my 2014 CPO P85D this Wednesday! I have read, with interest, this entire thread tonight. I can tell you this...on the EV CPO site
All of the 2014 P85D cars that were listed last week are gone. Of the remaining P85D cars, (most of which are "inventory" cars), they have been re-listed showing the actual cash purchase price. Last week, these "inventory" cars were listed with the price "after EV Incentive". When you clicked on a particular car, you had the immediate realization that you would actually have to pay more than the price shown on the summary grid. So it appears that prices have gone up but, in fact, it is just a re-listing with a change to the actual purchase price as opposed to the "after EV incentive price".

I look forward to spending a lot of quality time with all of you here on the site!

Mike

I was at the SC in Orlando picking up my Model X P90DL A friend who was with me asked my DS what happened to the CPOs as he was looking for one. She said with the problems with the Model X deliveries they wanted a supply as loaner cars. So each SC has been allotted so many for this purpose.

Of the remaining P85D cars, (most of which are "inventory" cars), they have been re-listed showing the actual cash purchase price. Last week, these "inventory" cars were listed with the price "after EV Incentive".
Hi Mike,
First, Congrats on your Model S!
Second, I'm not sure what you're saying above. The Inventory cars have always been listed "After EV Incentive" in bold print, and then below that in smaller print is "$$$$ cash price before EV incentives". I'm not seeing any Inventory cars what display this differently. Maybe you saw a few CPO cars listed this way and thought they were Inventory cars? If Tesla changed their listing format, my code likely would have picked it up (or just failed), but I see no changes have occurred. Can you find any examples of Inventory cars that are listed with the "Before EV Incentive" price as you describe? Thanks.

Not trying to wear a tin-foil hat or anything but could CPOs largely vanishing from the list and replaced with inventory vehicles suggest that Tesla is trying to clear out inventory/showroom cars before the Model 3 unveil which could also coincide with a possible Model S front-end refresh either at the same time or shortly thereafter? Would make sense to have all the vehicles get the new Tesla front-end look since I'm almost positive Model 3 will have the same look as Model X does.