Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the cpo inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping for March Madness

Thanks for sharing Daniel. Keeping my eyes out.

I received this reply today from my CPO rep. I've underlined the key point.

Hello Daniel,

Many of our vehicles have been selling quite quickly but we have also set some cars aside to be permanent Service Loaners. Fortunately, in the next few weeks we will see another influx in pre owned vehicles available for sale once we get many lease returns and RVG vehicles back. If you see any that are on our website that you’re interested in now please let me know.

The kind of people who get a new car every 2years usually don't buy the base model. You may need to wait for lease returns in 2017 for a larger wave of 70's, though even then i would expect 70's to be in a minority.

That was my exact thinking. I don't believe we'll see an influx of CPO 70's for some time. That may in fact inflate the value of CPO 70's until there is more volume.

The kind of people who get a new car every 2years usually don't buy the base model. You may need to wait for lease returns in 2017 for a larger wave of 70's, though even then i would expect 70's to be in a minority.

A 70D can be configured above $100,000 or as low as $71,000.

I know people that get a new car every 2 years on cars that are only $40,000 new.

And since the 70D was a big step up from the old S60 some did use it as their 2 year upgrade.

Of course if there isn't a 75D this year they'll have to wait for it or go to a Model X70D for an upgrade without going to a 90.

either way not everyone lives west of the Mississippi and needs the extra range of the 85/90 kWh pack. Some of us are plenty happy to upgrade for features not just range.

Last edited:
I thought it was bad when it went down to 125 -- now it's down to 86. However, I've finished my stages of grief and I'm not sweating it anymore. Shock? Check. Denial? Check. Anger? Check. Bargaining? Check. Depression? Check. Testing? Check. Acceptance? Check. I seriously think I went through all the stages.

A 70D can be configured above $100,000 or as low as $71,000.
$101,700 (+with doc fee) is what I got to when maxed out with every option. Now, how many people do you think will throw every possible option, most expensive paint and all, and not upgrade the battery (and therefore acceleration, range, supercharging speed, etc)?
Another way to put it, how many 70D's do you think Tesla sold in 2014 above $100K in the USA?
I know people that get a new car every 2 years on cars that are only $40,000 new.
Those are not Tesla buyers today (obviously). Also, those who do buy a new $40K car every 2 years are not likely buying a base model of a car that typically costs $65K.

A buyer of a base base 70D is not one who buys a car every 2 years. The guy who options it out nicely, but decided to save $10k and not upgrade to 85D, is also not likely to see $30K value in trading-up to 2 year newer car. IMO most of the 70D buyers will keep them longer than 2 years. 3 year lease returns are most likely to provide the first real source of 70D CPO's. Don't get me wrong, there will be an occasional trade-in 70D CPO, but those will go fast.

I am Looking at the 70D because it meets my needs and most especially is the lowest priced model available. I would love the extra range of a 90 but just cannot afford it. I also drive my vehicles until they are worthless or worth almost nothing. I think 200K miles is just getting to the point where I am getting my money out of the car. Anything less and I feel like I am loosing money. My typical vehicle has between 225K and 250K when I get rid of it. About 6 to 7 years of ownership. I expect to drive a 70D until it is costing me more to own it than to buy a new one.

Wish i could have waited a little longer to see if inventory would go back up. I never even got a call back from my cpo advisor. Had to get something asap to replace my almost dead wrx. Ending up buying a brand new IS300 F Sport yesterday.

Yikes :cursing:

There are still a bunch of private party Model S vehicles for sale at reasonable prices. I bet we'll see an avalanche of CPO additions within the next month.

Can you return that thing you bought?

Lol. I certainly can. I did look at private sales but ultimately we decided to go brand new whe. We can ( a little more saving) and my bank didnt approve me for as much as i had hoped. Neither did alliant. But i can always use the lexus as a trade in later on. Im happy with it. Its a huge step up from my 2002 wrx that was literally on its last leg.

Quick facts: 400 new listings added today (by "new", I mean never before listed on EV-CPO).

Also, every single one is listed as an Inventor car. Seems strange somewhere Tesla was sitting on 400 Inventory cars.

LOWEST VIN: 085621
Highest VIN:129449

All but 41 are Dual Motor cars.

All have AutoPilot.

Lowest price: 55,380
Lowest price dual motor: 77000

- - - Updated - - -

I step away for lunch, and all hell brakes loose!!

Maybe they did flip the loaner car fleet from NEW to Legacy CPO cars to increase 'new deliveries' and effectively margins. an extra 300+ more 'new deliveries' this quarter is better for the stock than the same sales in CPO's.

50 miles is typically the default so they likely just rushed to push the cars and will update the mileage shortly after.

Quick facts: 400 new listings added today (by "new", I mean never before listed on EV-CPO).

Also, every single one is listed as an Inventor car. Seems strange somewhere Tesla was sitting on 400 Inventory cars.

LOWEST VIN: 085621
Highest VIN:129449

All but 41 are Dual Motor cars.

All have AutoPilot.

Lowest price: 55,380
Lowest price dual motor: 77000

- - - Updated - - -

I step away for lunch, and all hell brakes loose!!

I should have the cash to buy within a week. I haven't signed up for a subscription on EV CPO yet. Are the hidden vehicles available for sale through that site, or do you have to call Tesla?

A disproportionate number of white and pearl white? It's an odd inventory dump. Maybe they dedicated the S line to just producing cars for on demand sales, maybe this was a large fleet order that fell through, maybe they produced a bunch of the same type vehicle based on demand...lots of maybes I know. I would think that if they wanted to produce the most "generic" S it would be a solid white 70D, with Pano, AP, beige next gen seats and piano black. My thinking is that this configuration would be most universally acceptable in all states to most buyers and would sell very quickly. The inventory cars look a lot like what I described with a few variations on theme.

I should have the cash to buy within a week. I haven't signed up for a subscription on EV CPO yet. Are the hidden vehicles available for sale through that site, or do you have to call Tesla?

Hidden cars are cars that appear to be for sale (they have a "Buy" button) but are not actually listed on the CPO website. You can try using the "Buy" button, but I do not know what will happen next. People have reported that these cars are available, some not, so your mileage may vary. If a car on the "hidden" list interests you, you can try the "Buy" button, or you might want to call Tesla and ask about it.