TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What happened to the cpo inventory?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Nototrader, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lasvegas95

lasvegas95 New Member

Hoping for March Madness

Thanks for sharing Daniel. Keeping my eyes out.

2. wolfson292

wolfson292 Architect

That was my exact thinking. I don't believe we'll see an influx of CPO 70's for some time. That may in fact inflate the value of CPO 70's until there is more volume.

3. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#143 dhanson865, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    A 70D can be configured above $100,000 or as low as $71,000.

I know people that get a new car every 2 years on cars that are only $40,000 new.

And since the 70D was a big step up from the old S60 some did use it as their 2 year upgrade.

Of course if there isn't a 75D this year they'll have to wait for it or go to a Model X70D for an upgrade without going to a 90.

either way not everyone lives west of the Mississippi and needs the extra range of the 85/90 kWh pack. Some of us are plenty happy to upgrade for features not just range.

4. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I thought it was bad when it went down to 125 -- now it's down to 86. However, I've finished my stages of grief and I'm not sweating it anymore. Shock? Check. Denial? Check. Anger? Check. Bargaining? Check. Depression? Check. Testing? Check. Acceptance? Check. I seriously think I went through all the stages.

5. whitex

whitex Active Member

$101,700 (+with doc fee) is what I got to when maxed out with every option. Now, how many people do you think will throw every possible option, most expensive paint and all, and not upgrade the battery (and therefore acceleration, range, supercharging speed, etc)?
    Another way to put it, how many 70D's do you think Tesla sold in 2014 above $100K in the USA?
    Those are not Tesla buyers today (obviously). Also, those who do buy a new $40K car every 2 years are not likely buying a base model of a car that typically costs $65K.

A buyer of a base base 70D is not one who buys a car every 2 years. The guy who options it out nicely, but decided to save $10k and not upgrade to 85D, is also not likely to see $30K value in trading-up to 2 year newer car. IMO most of the 70D buyers will keep them longer than 2 years. 3 year lease returns are most likely to provide the first real source of 70D CPO's. Don't get me wrong, there will be an occasional trade-in 70D CPO, but those will go fast.

6. PDFS

PDFS PDF's tesla

I am Looking at the 70D because it meets my needs and most especially is the lowest priced model available. I would love the extra range of a 90 but just cannot afford it. I also drive my vehicles until they are worthless or worth almost nothing. I think 200K miles is just getting to the point where I am getting my money out of the car. Anything less and I feel like I am loosing money. My typical vehicle has between 225K and 250K when I get rid of it. About 6 to 7 years of ownership. I expect to drive a 70D until it is costing me more to own it than to buy a new one.

7. Curryx

Curryx Member

Wish i could have waited a little longer to see if inventory would go back up. I never even got a call back from my cpo advisor. Had to get something asap to replace my almost dead wrx. Ending up buying a brand new IS300 F Sport yesterday.

8. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

Yikes :cursing:

There are still a bunch of private party Model S vehicles for sale at reasonable prices. I bet we'll see an avalanche of CPO additions within the next month.

Can you return that thing you bought?

9. Curryx

Curryx Member

Lol. I certainly can. I did look at private sales but ultimately we decided to go brand new whe. We can ( a little more saving) and my bank didnt approve me for as much as i had hoped. Neither did alliant. But i can always use the lexus as a trade in later on. Im happy with it. Its a huge step up from my 2002 wrx that was literally on its last leg.

10. wolfson292

wolfson292 Architect

Looks like a large number of hidden vehicles were just added to the site. EV-CPO has prices but they are blank on the Tesla Site.

11. csshih

csshih whirrrr

EV-CPO just went to 391 with 98 hidden!

12. typhune

typhune Member

Interesting. Many have 50 miles. I'm wondering why the sudden flood. Wonder if anyone has one on order could double check the VIN from EV-CPO.

13. csshih

csshih whirrrr

mostly inventory cars, too, with EV incentives all available. curious!

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Quick facts: 400 new listings added today (by "new", I mean never before listed on EV-CPO).

Also, every single one is listed as an Inventor car. Seems strange somewhere Tesla was sitting on 400 Inventory cars.

LOWEST VIN: 085621
    Highest VIN:129449

All but 41 are Dual Motor cars.

All have AutoPilot.

Lowest price: 55,380
    Lowest price dual motor: 77000

- - - Updated - - -

I step away for lunch, and all hell brakes loose!!

15. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Maybe they did flip the loaner car fleet from NEW to Legacy CPO cars to increase 'new deliveries' and effectively margins. an extra 300+ more 'new deliveries' this quarter is better for the stock than the same sales in CPO's.

50 miles is typically the default so they likely just rushed to push the cars and will update the mileage shortly after.

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

About 1/3 have 50 miles.. the rest pretty evenly distributed up to 16,085 miles.

17. taminatorv

taminatorv Member

I should have the cash to buy within a week. I haven't signed up for a subscription on EV CPO yet. Are the hidden vehicles available for sale through that site, or do you have to call Tesla?

18. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

A disproportionate number of white and pearl white? It's an odd inventory dump. Maybe they dedicated the S line to just producing cars for on demand sales, maybe this was a large fleet order that fell through, maybe they produced a bunch of the same type vehicle based on demand...lots of maybes I know. I would think that if they wanted to produce the most "generic" S it would be a solid white 70D, with Pano, AP, beige next gen seats and piano black. My thinking is that this configuration would be most universally acceptable in all states to most buyers and would sell very quickly. The inventory cars look a lot like what I described with a few variations on theme.

19. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

Ok I randomly checked on P90D (128611) and that seems 1:1 the price for a new car o_O

20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Hidden cars are cars that appear to be for sale (they have a "Buy" button) but are not actually listed on the CPO website. You can try using the "Buy" button, but I do not know what will happen next. People have reported that these cars are available, some not, so your mileage may vary. If a car on the "hidden" list interests you, you can try the "Buy" button, or you might want to call Tesla and ask about it.