TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What Happens When the Warranty Runs Out?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by wrf2e, Nov 6, 2019.

1. wrf2e

wrf2e Member

I've had several issues on my 2018 Mid-Range Model 3. All of which have been fixed under warranty, but what happens after that runs out? I am starting to get concerned that the seemingly never-ending chain of small issues is truly never ending.

I have had the frunk latch stop working, AC smell, lumbar motor stopped working, front left safety restraint system fault, driver window reverses course when going up, passenger mirror doesn't return to normal after reverse and a leaky back glass.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car. So much so that we plan on purchasing the Model Y for my wife. Am I alone in feeling nervous?

2. TMThree

TMThree Member

That's expected from an early build. I bought in March 2019 and even then there was a lot of issues. The units being made now have significantly less issues, and a lot more upgrades, such as better seats, softer springs, sound damping, ppf across rocker panels, and better QC for paint and panel gaps.

You'll face the same buying Y upon initial release.

• Like x 3
  3. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

#3 Tam, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    You know the answer: You'll have to pay out-of-your-own-pocket once your car reaches 50,000 miles or 4 years whichever first. Towing alone can also be very expensive.

Tesla lists ESA (extended warranty) for S and X but not for 3.

You might want to check on third-party coverage:

Vendor - X-Care EV Extended Warranty - The "Why" to our "What".

• Like x 3
  4. wrf2e

wrf2e Member

Yeah, I figured I would be facing these issues when I purchased, I just didn't expect them to keep cropping up. I guess I am now starting to realize I may be looking at some costly repairs later on.

5. wrf2e

wrf2e Member

Thanks for the info. The costs of their plans don't look too bad. If I have had to pay out of pocket for my issues thus far, I would be getting my money's worth for sure.

6. TMThree

TMThree Member

Compared to S and X, the 3 has very few things that can go wrong. Try air suspension repairs! Even self presenting door handles aren't fun to replace.

• Like x 4
  7. wrf2e

wrf2e Member

That's a good point!

8. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

I can’t believe they still haven’t offered an extended warranty.

9. zhu-

zhu- custom title

When was sound damping added? Is it a noticeable improvement? If it was added after my purchase I would be willing to pay to have that added if possible.

10. Black306

Black306 Member

Part of the reason why I went with a new Model 3 over a used Model S; fewer parts to go wrong.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The oldest Model 3’s are years away from going out of warranty unless the owners have been putting a lot of miles on them. I expect Tesla to offer an ESA for the Model 3 in the near future.

12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Tesla has a reputation for their early production cars having several warranty issues, however after they are addressed most reports are that the cars become much more reliable than gassers, especially as they gather miles and age.

• Like x 1
  13. vickh

vickh Active Member

me 2+ softer ride.

14. MarkBrokeIt

MarkBrokeIt Supporting Member

This is how Tesla plans to become insanely profitable.

15. boriszima

boriszima Member

just like all other car manufactures?

To answer OP, it was implied that electric cars will last longer, less maintenance. So after warranty runs out, hopefully those small things that will go bad wont be expensive to fix. As long as motor(s) and battery keep chugging along, should suffice for most expensive repairs.

• Like x 1
  16. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Remember, extended warranties are insurance policies. They make money for the people that sell them. Otherwise they wouldn't bother selling them.

• Like x 4
  17. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Warranty run out then trade it in for a newer one. Lol

18. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Its going to be extremely expensive to repair issues that aren't our fault.

19. TomT

TomT Technical Maven

I consider myself lucky. Mine was built in March 2019 and I have had zero issues to date in 8,000 miles.

20. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

#20 run-the-joules, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    I have no intention of finding out firsthand. I'll order a new car once I'm at 45,000 miles.

Hopefully by then the Model Y is available, and they've added heated steering wheel, and more-supportive seats with air conditioning to the line. Fat chance, of course, but a man can dream.

• Like x 1