Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Happens When the Warranty Runs Out?

wrf2e

Apr 6, 2016
Fort Worth
I've had several issues on my 2018 Mid-Range Model 3. All of which have been fixed under warranty, but what happens after that runs out? I am starting to get concerned that the seemingly never-ending chain of small issues is truly never ending.

I have had the frunk latch stop working, AC smell, lumbar motor stopped working, front left safety restraint system fault, driver window reverses course when going up, passenger mirror doesn't return to normal after reverse and a leaky back glass.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car. So much so that we plan on purchasing the Model Y for my wife. Am I alone in feeling nervous?

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
That's expected from an early build. I bought in March 2019 and even then there was a lot of issues. The units being made now have significantly less issues, and a lot more upgrades, such as better seats, softer springs, sound damping, ppf across rocker panels, and better QC for paint and panel gaps.

You'll face the same buying Y upon initial release.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
Last edited:

wrf2e

Apr 6, 2016
Fort Worth
That's expected from an early build. I bought in March 2019 and even then there was a lot of issues. The units being made now have significantly less issues, and a lot more upgrades, such as better seats, softer springs, sound damping, ppf across rocker panels, and better QC for paint and panel gaps.

Yeah, I figured I would be facing these issues when I purchased, I just didn't expect them to keep cropping up. I guess I am now starting to realize I may be looking at some costly repairs later on.

wrf2e

Apr 6, 2016
Fort Worth
You know the answer: You'll have to pay out-of-your-own-pocket once your car reaches 50,000 miles or 4 years whichever first. Towing alone can also be very expensive.

Tesla lists ESA (extended warranty) for S and X but not for 3.

You might want to check on third-party coverage:

Vendor - X-Care EV Extended Warranty - The "Why" to our "What".

Thanks for the info. The costs of their plans don't look too bad. If I have had to pay out of pocket for my issues thus far, I would be getting my money's worth for sure.

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
Yeah, I figured I would be facing these issues when I purchased, I just didn't expect them to keep cropping up. I guess I am now starting to realize I may be looking at some costly repairs later on.

Compared to S and X, the 3 has very few things that can go wrong. Try air suspension repairs! Even self presenting door handles aren't fun to replace.

zhu-

custom title
Oct 24, 2018
NJ

When was sound damping added? Is it a noticeable improvement? If it was added after my purchase I would be willing to pay to have that added if possible.

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
Tesla has a reputation for their early production cars having several warranty issues, however after they are addressed most reports are that the cars become much more reliable than gassers, especially as they gather miles and age.

Reactions: Common_Loon

boriszima

Jul 12, 2018
Los Angeles
This is how Tesla plans to become insanely profitable.

just like all other car manufactures?

To answer OP, it was implied that electric cars will last longer, less maintenance. So after warranty runs out, hopefully those small things that will go bad wont be expensive to fix. As long as motor(s) and battery keep chugging along, should suffice for most expensive repairs.

Reactions: brkaus

run-the-joules

Turgid Member
Aug 13, 2017
SF Bay
I have no intention of finding out firsthand. I'll order a new car once I'm at 45,000 miles.

Hopefully by then the Model Y is available, and they've added heated steering wheel, and more-supportive seats with air conditioning to the line. Fat chance, of course, but a man can dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rojer Lockless

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC