Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Happens When the Warranty Runs Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had several issues on my 2018 Mid-Range Model 3. All of which have been fixed under warranty, but what happens after that runs out? I am starting to get concerned that the seemingly never-ending chain of small issues is truly never ending.

I have had the frunk latch stop working, AC smell, lumbar motor stopped working, front left safety restraint system fault, driver window reverses course when going up, passenger mirror doesn't return to normal after reverse and a leaky back glass.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car. So much so that we plan on purchasing the Model Y for my wife. Am I alone in feeling nervous?

That's expected from an early build. I bought in March 2019 and even then there was a lot of issues. The units being made now have significantly less issues, and a lot more upgrades, such as better seats, softer springs, sound damping, ppf across rocker panels, and better QC for paint and panel gaps.

You'll face the same buying Y upon initial release.

Last edited:
That's expected from an early build. I bought in March 2019 and even then there was a lot of issues. The units being made now have significantly less issues, and a lot more upgrades, such as better seats, softer springs, sound damping, ppf across rocker panels, and better QC for paint and panel gaps.

Yeah, I figured I would be facing these issues when I purchased, I just didn't expect them to keep cropping up. I guess I am now starting to realize I may be looking at some costly repairs later on.

You know the answer: You'll have to pay out-of-your-own-pocket once your car reaches 50,000 miles or 4 years whichever first. Towing alone can also be very expensive.

Tesla lists ESA (extended warranty) for S and X but not for 3.

You might want to check on third-party coverage:

Vendor - X-Care EV Extended Warranty - The "Why" to our "What".

Thanks for the info. The costs of their plans don't look too bad. If I have had to pay out of pocket for my issues thus far, I would be getting my money's worth for sure.

Yeah, I figured I would be facing these issues when I purchased, I just didn't expect them to keep cropping up. I guess I am now starting to realize I may be looking at some costly repairs later on.

Compared to S and X, the 3 has very few things that can go wrong. Try air suspension repairs! Even self presenting door handles aren't fun to replace.

When was sound damping added? Is it a noticeable improvement? If it was added after my purchase I would be willing to pay to have that added if possible.

This is how Tesla plans to become insanely profitable.

just like all other car manufactures?

To answer OP, it was implied that electric cars will last longer, less maintenance. So after warranty runs out, hopefully those small things that will go bad wont be expensive to fix. As long as motor(s) and battery keep chugging along, should suffice for most expensive repairs.

Reactions: brkaus
I have no intention of finding out firsthand. I'll order a new car once I'm at 45,000 miles.

Hopefully by then the Model Y is available, and they've added heated steering wheel, and more-supportive seats with air conditioning to the line. Fat chance, of course, but a man can dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rojer Lockless