Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when you drive from UK to Europe? Headlight? Self drive overtaking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s small but pretty chunky vs a sticker. More like a tiny dash cam or something?

If it’s radio can you just leave it on the dashboard or is it quite fussy about pointing up at the sensors on the toll gates? I can’t rely on my wife being awake to hold in place so if they’re fussy I’ll just stick mine up
It’s a radio tag a bit like the one on the M6 toll road. Positioning is more sensitive to windscreen coatings that can block the signal. I think the manual suggests where to put them and from memory it’s the dark patch by the rear view memory.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Upvote 0
It’s a radio tag a bit like the one on the M6 toll road. Positioning is more sensitive to windscreen coatings that can block the signal. I think the manual suggests where to put them and from memory it’s the dark patch by the rear view memory.

Has anyone used one of these tags on a tesla? There isn’t a mottled area behind the rear view so is the entire windscreen ‘radio friendly’ (so I could tuck it down low on the passenger side) or is there still a zone near the sensor housing and I just have to try and hide it from my view behind the rear view mirror best I can?

Upvote 0
Has anyone used one of these tags on a tesla? There isn’t a mottled area behind the rear view so is the entire windscreen ‘radio friendly’ (so I could tuck it down low on the passenger side) or is there still a zone near the sensor housing and I just have to try and hide it from my view behind the rear view mirror best I can?
I’ve got mine tucked in next to the sensor suite cover at the middle top of the windscreen, as far up into the corner as it’ll go. The tag is quite small, so it’s discrete. They’re generally recommended to go behind the dotted bits on the windscreen so they’re out of sight. I gather they’ve been worth stealing, at least in the past.

Upvote 0
I’ve got mine tucked in next to the sensor suite cover at the middle top of the windscreen, as far up into the corner as it’ll go. The tag is quite small, so it’s discrete. They’re generally recommended to go behind the dotted bits on the windscreen so they’re out of sight. I gather they’ve been worth stealing, at least in the past.

cheeky sods. It unclips so will try and be careful and remove when I get home. Seems an odd thing to steal as they’re only £20 deposit and you’d cancel it as soon as you lost it so people couldn’t do cannonball runs down the toll roads at your expense. But logic probably isn’t a strong point of a tealeaf

Upvote 0
From the manual:
D13413D3-E262-4FA1-9EB9-2E5BBFC8329C.jpeg

Reactions: whykay and Mrklaw
Upvote 0
Thanks. I’m assuming thats symmetrical..
The manual suggests placing it on the opposite side from the driver so it is behind the mirror. Interestingly, my tag, which is Spanish, came with instructions to fit it on the left hand side, so for a Spanish car it would be on the driver’s side. I presume this is the side the scanners must be on. Works well for me as it’s tucked in nicely behind the mirror.

Upvote 0
I put mine just to the right of the camera console (driver's side). It's not in the way and it gives me peace of mind that I can see it and therefore haven't accidentally left it at home (OCD). It has so far worked flawlessly (including the 30KpH drive throughs).

Tag.jpeg

Upvote 0
We’ve used ours in the Tesla loads and just hold it up to the screen when passing thru the Peage.

We recently got notified that ours was getting old (over 7 years) and we should get a new one as the battery is probably dead by now. It was still working last month so, from our experience, even a reduced powered tag doesn’t need to be precisely placed.

My wife usually holds it up in the passenger seat but it becomes my job if she’s napping and we find it fine either side.

Upvote 0
I recently drove from Calais to Reims in the dark in my MYLR 2022. I was flashed many times in the three hours. It seemed like mostly lorries were flashing me, but it was obvious that the lights were not calibrated correctly for the situation.

That has not happened to me before on previous trips and I was annoyed to have taken the manual at face value as I felt terrible annoying all those drivers.

I did not drive again at night on this trip, but I have to figure the best way to deal with this for the next trip.

Perhaps my set up needs recalibrating however my instinct is that there is nothing wrong with the lights as they are perfect in the UK.

It certainly would make sense to just use the tech deal with it.

Upvote 0
I recently drove from Calais to Reims in the dark in my MYLR 2022. I was flashed many times in the three hours. It seemed like mostly lorries were flashing me, but it was obvious that the lights were not calibrated correctly for the situation.

That has not happened to me before on previous trips and I was annoyed to have taken the manual at face value as I felt terrible annoying all those drivers.

I did not drive again at night on this trip, but I have to figure the best way to deal with this for the next trip.

Perhaps my set up needs recalibrating however my instinct is that there is nothing wrong with the lights as they are perfect in the UK.

It certainly would make sense to just use the tech deal with it.
You can calibrate the lights from the Service menu in the car. Sometimes the cars come with the lights set far too high up, so it’s always worth doing.

Upvote 0

We’re previous times before the AHB functionality changed to ensure AHB on TACC/AP? That may explain why you may not have noticed it before. Shouldn’t be happening though but may give a clue to some workaround.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We’re previous times before the AHB functionality changed to ensure AHB on TACC/AP? That may explain why you may not have noticed it before. Shouldn’t be happening though but may give a clue to some workaround.
My previous trips were in a different vehicle. I just noted this as the amount of people flashing me indicated that there is definately an issue with the lights in my MY.

Upvote 0
I will try this but am not sure that it will help as the lights seem to be calibrated fine for UK driving.
UK based cars have an uptick on the left of the beam, yes. However, if properly calibrated they still shouldn’t dazzle, even when driving on the other side of the road. When we drove our 3 in Spain I could see the beams went up to oncoming car’s bonnets, but not so high as to dazzle. A Y is a taller vehicle, so may suffer from the higher up headlights issue that affects others even when driving on the “correct” side.

Upvote 0