Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What ICE would you preserve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW M5 E34 or E39
Porsche 911 993
My E34 M5 (3.8) may be looking for a new home soon ;)

Back on topic, I had a Capri 280 Brooklands Turbo that I pretty much gave away several years ago due to lack of space and kind of wish I hadn't, so guess that would need to be one, with my M5 being another but time and space always seems to get the better of me.

Original Mini Cooper S

I've owned several Mini's (not a Cooper alas) in my past and you could have had so much fun even at safe speeds (which was not very high in a Mini), but with all the oversized and tailgating vehicles these days, I think I would have second thoughts driving one now.

Reactions: Krisey
Thought experiment time. What ICE would you buy to preserve as peak ICE? Something to have, care for, drive occasionally using £20/L fuel once a quarter and show to future generations?

For me, Jag F-Type. Sooo love those, most beautiful car ever produced.
Love the F, but for me, the XKE is the pick. To my eyes it is just the apex of vehicular design for those who enjoy driving. They are still hugely popular today and the one below was on sale for a heart-stopping $150,000.

1637417795323.jpeg

Awesome response … now there’s a thinker. I wasn’t thrilled with the question and was considering posting something snarky. You got your point across without the snark.
I realised there was space for this response to the question, but I view moving mass transport to electric as key, but by doing so there will remain space for ultra low mileage collectables and hobbies, probably associated with suitable penances.

Trust me, the EV driving, heat pump owning part of me wants ICE gone asap, but there have been objects of beauty created in the name of ICE, and we should celebrate them. Just not actually use them ;-)

I once had an F-type on order, but the one below not the one that made it into production. Then Jaguar cancelled the program and refunded all deposits in order to invest in building their own diesel engine. When it eventually appeared as a real car it had changed so much that I was no longer interested although over time, I have very much warmed to the side and rear views of the blue coupe that is used on The Grand Tour.

1637418348855.jpeg

Reactions: Washout
Original Mini Cooper S

I've owned several Mini's (not a Cooper alas) in my past and you could have had so much fun even at safe speeds (which was not very high in a Mini), but with all the oversized and tailgating vehicles these days, I think I would have second thoughts driving one now.

I'm hankering after driving a quick old style Mini again. I had a bored out 1380cc with all the sauce ... fun at unsafe speeds! My brother is in the middle of an electric old Mini conversion so if it works out that could be my next chance.

Reactions: Krisey
For me its not the car itself - Its the iconic engines, for instance . . .
The Rover V8 that powered so many cool cars like the SD1 or TVRs galore
The Jag V12 or straight 6 from the E-type
The Ford V6 that brought life to the Capri

The cars themselves will live on with electric conversions, just like so many old classic winged wonders in the US that now have modern power plants.

Reactions: plisken
Original Mini Cooper S

Mine is great around town and the lanes, we're spoilt now with modern cars being so quiet and comfy on the motorway, the difference is so apparent that it means the mini is borderline unbearable on a long run!

I'm hankering after driving a quick old style Mini again. I had a bored out 1380cc with all the sauce ... fun at unsafe speeds! My brother is in the middle of an electric old Mini conversion so if it works out that could be my next chance.

Yes - plenty you can do to an old A Series, engines are becoming rarer and more expensive though! I'm building a 1293 turbo at the moment.

Reactions: Adopado
This one.... mine since 2014 and whilst I can still breath!!

This One.jpg

I don't believe we will be banned from the roads, just Motorways and city centres. By the time we have fully autonomous cars we will have affordable 100% green petrol, made using green electricity from CO2 in the air and Hydrogen in water.

The Tesla offsets the CO2 that the Morgan releases...

• Love
Reactions: Krisey and Avendit
Thought experiment time. What ICE would you buy to preserve as peak ICE? Something to have, care for, drive occasionally using £20/L fuel once a quarter and show to future generations?

I’ve got no plans to part with my Mk1 Morris Cooper, I smile every time I drive it… wait… I smile every time I drive my Tesla… maybe I was a Cheshire Cat in a past life😂

• Funny
Reactions: Doudeau and Adopado
Love the F, but for me, the XKE is the pick. To my eyes it is just the apex of vehicular design for those who enjoy driving. They are still hugely popular today and the one below was on sale for a heart-stopping $150,000.

I always disagree on the E-Type. I think they look ungainly.
The XK120 Roadster is by far Jaguar’s most beautiful car. So I’d keep that to look at.

And to listen to, it’d have to be a Ferrari V12.

D238F9C4-D0CE-4100-90F2-0834F0532AA7.jpeg