Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Info Do you Get from OBD-II Scanner in a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...I'm awaiting my Model 3. One of my Christmas presents I got was the BlueDriver Bluetooth OBD-II scanner, primarily for my '04 Chevy Avalanche, which has a tendency to trigger random check engine lights. My friend claims that when he plugged an OBD-II scanner into a co-worker's Fiat 500e, that it only gave a confirmation of a data connection, but no information on sub-systems. He said that since OBD-II is primarily an emissions system protocol, there's no reason for it to display anything on an EV. Does the official Tesla app or another third-party app display any kind of system diagnostics? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

My interest is more out of curiosity than anything. I noticed there's an app on the App Store called "Tesla Toolbox" but it seems it's more kind of convenience bells & whistles than any kind of diagnostic capability. Once my car is out of the warranty period, I'd like the ability to at least do some kind of service and diagnostics without having to go to an official service center. I know for a while there was a little back & forth as to whether Tesla could mandate annual services within the warranty period. I think that might be a violation of the Magnuson Moss act. For simple bolt-ons and replacements like tires and brake pads, it seems a little over-the-top. Has anyone here done any kind of service on their vehicle outside of warranty? Do you still get OTA updates and/or service alerts from TM?