Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is 12v battery replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you think about this, he says that it's not a good idea to use this kind of batteries
My OEM battery lasted 6 years/89k mikes. Gave me a warning to replace. Scheduled replacement for $235 that happened in my garage.

I’m not buying an aftermarket battery. It doesn’t address any issues that I am having and only adds risk.

Yes, there are some out there that have had multiple OEM replacements and I feel for those folks. I’d think otherwise if I was one.

But as long as I get 3+ years on a fully supported and not terribly priced battery I’m not looking elsewhere.

Got a message on instrument panel that 12 V Battery needs replacement. Got on Tesla App and booked an appointment last night and I got the appointment for this morning 9AM! The tech communicated via the mobile app and kept me updated. I left the car in my driveway and took my other vehicle to work. Tesla Tech called me when he got to my driveway and I opened the car door for him remotely. 20 minutes later I got another message saying battery was replaced. Paid $240 on the app for a new AGM Gen 2 battery. The last one was OEM 7 years old and hopefully this one will last just as long!

My OEM battery lasted 6 years/89k mikes. Gave me a warning to replace. Scheduled replacement for $235 that happened in my garage.

I’m not buying an aftermarket battery. It doesn’t address any issues that I am having and only adds risk.

Yes, there are some out there that have had multiple OEM replacements and I feel for those folks. I’d think otherwise if I was one.

But as long as I get 3+ years on a fully supported and not terribly priced battery I’m not looking elsewhere.
Agree. The AGM battery in Model S lasts approximately 7 years. I had my battery changed yesterday after 7 years on my 2017 Model S! I am surprised that lot of folks say they had to change their 12V battery after 18 months! Tesla tech guy came to my home within 12 hours of making an appointment on the app, gave me a quote before he came and swapped the battery to a Gen 2 AGM battery. Total cost was $240. I was reading about all the different types of batteries available and DIY guys taking things apart and at the end of the day I could not pass the opportunity of a trained Tech that comes to my driveway and does it in less than 20 minutes for a great price! I am super happy I did that. Don't really want to risk some malfunction by trying something that is not recommended by Tesla.

I thought the new 3 / Y have 15.5v batteries.
The reporting on the OHMMU battery is rock solid. I was surprised that people are paying $450 plus or this crap and risking damage to the car. If OHMMU batteries were that good I am sure Tesla would have recommended it. I think its best to just get Tesla take care o it as they not only do a great job but very reasonable in price. Just for comparison I had to replace a 12V battery on my wife's Jeep Renegade and the quote from dealer was 300 plus for a H6 AGM battery. I found one at Walmart for around $200 and swapped it myself as there is no complicated electronics involved.

Ohmu is way overpriced and doesn't offer any extend life of the battery...the oem battery is $200 include installed and lasted over 5 yrs for me
My S and X lead acids were lasting less than a year. Original factory install batteries lasted almost exactly 4 years to the month, both boiled dry. Replacements lasted a year each, again, all boiled dry, I've replaced a couple dozen for others, same thing, boiled dry (Tesla over charges the lead acids). Put an Ohmu in my Model S, I'm 1 1/2 years and 45,000 miles in on this battery and no issues. Will likely put a Ohmu in my Model X once that one gets flagged for replacement too.

Last edited:
This is one of those things that's neither right nor wrong - until your decision goes belly up!
My S is nearly four years old and in view of the fact that I'm 150m away from the only viable SC and they don't do roving services here and since I spent Xmas with family only a few miles from the SC as a precaution I called it and they changed the 12v and the cabin filter the next morning for AU$395 (despite the girl whom I arranged it with booking me into a different SC.................)
Worth it - a dead or dying 12v miles from any replacement isn't funny.

Ohmu is way overpriced and doesn't offer any extend life of the battery...the oem battery is $200 include installed and lasted over 5 yrs for me
I have the ohmmu and I cant recommend it enough. I wasnt getting 5 years like you were. I was getting like 12 months max 18 months out of it. Iv had the ohmmu now for 3.5 years so far and its rock solid.

My wifes model Y is about a year old. Im curious to see how long Tesla battery lasts