Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is 12v battery replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you think about this, he says that it's not a good idea to use this kind of batteries
My OEM battery lasted 6 years/89k mikes. Gave me a warning to replace. Scheduled replacement for $235 that happened in my garage.

I’m not buying an aftermarket battery. It doesn’t address any issues that I am having and only adds risk.

Yes, there are some out there that have had multiple OEM replacements and I feel for those folks. I’d think otherwise if I was one.

But as long as I get 3+ years on a fully supported and not terribly priced battery I’m not looking elsewhere.

Got a message on instrument panel that 12 V Battery needs replacement. Got on Tesla App and booked an appointment last night and I got the appointment for this morning 9AM! The tech communicated via the mobile app and kept me updated. I left the car in my driveway and took my other vehicle to work. Tesla Tech called me when he got to my driveway and I opened the car door for him remotely. 20 minutes later I got another message saying battery was replaced. Paid $240 on the app for a new AGM Gen 2 battery. The last one was OEM 7 years old and hopefully this one will last just as long!

My OEM battery lasted 6 years/89k mikes. Gave me a warning to replace. Scheduled replacement for $235 that happened in my garage.

I’m not buying an aftermarket battery. It doesn’t address any issues that I am having and only adds risk.

Yes, there are some out there that have had multiple OEM replacements and I feel for those folks. I’d think otherwise if I was one.

But as long as I get 3+ years on a fully supported and not terribly priced battery I’m not looking elsewhere.
Agree. The AGM battery in Model S lasts approximately 7 years. I had my battery changed yesterday after 7 years on my 2017 Model S! I am surprised that lot of folks say they had to change their 12V battery after 18 months! Tesla tech guy came to my home within 12 hours of making an appointment on the app, gave me a quote before he came and swapped the battery to a Gen 2 AGM battery. Total cost was $240. I was reading about all the different types of batteries available and DIY guys taking things apart and at the end of the day I could not pass the opportunity of a trained Tech that comes to my driveway and does it in less than 20 minutes for a great price! I am super happy I did that. Don't really want to risk some malfunction by trying something that is not recommended by Tesla.

I thought the new 3 / Y have 15.5v batteries.
The reporting on the OHMMU battery is rock solid. I was surprised that people are paying $450 plus or this crap and risking damage to the car. If OHMMU batteries were that good I am sure Tesla would have recommended it. I think its best to just get Tesla take care o it as they not only do a great job but very reasonable in price. Just for comparison I had to replace a 12V battery on my wife's Jeep Renegade and the quote from dealer was 300 plus for a H6 AGM battery. I found one at Walmart for around $200 and swapped it myself as there is no complicated electronics involved.

Ohmu is way overpriced and doesn't offer any extend life of the battery...the oem battery is $200 include installed and lasted over 5 yrs for me
My S and X lead acids were lasting less than a year. Original factory install batteries lasted almost exactly 4 years to the month, both boiled dry. Replacements lasted a year each, again, all boiled dry, I've replaced a couple dozen for others, same thing, boiled dry (Tesla over charges the lead acids). Put an Ohmu in my Model S, I'm 1 1/2 years and 45,000 miles in on this battery and no issues. Will likely put a Ohmu in my Model X once that one gets flagged for replacement too.

Last edited:
This is one of those things that's neither right nor wrong - until your decision goes belly up!
My S is nearly four years old and in view of the fact that I'm 150m away from the only viable SC and they don't do roving services here and since I spent Xmas with family only a few miles from the SC as a precaution I called it and they changed the 12v and the cabin filter the next morning for AU$395 (despite the girl whom I arranged it with booking me into a different SC.................)
Worth it - a dead or dying 12v miles from any replacement isn't funny.

Ohmu is way overpriced and doesn't offer any extend life of the battery...the oem battery is $200 include installed and lasted over 5 yrs for me
I have the ohmmu and I cant recommend it enough. I wasnt getting 5 years like you were. I was getting like 12 months max 18 months out of it. Iv had the ohmmu now for 3.5 years so far and its rock solid.

My wifes model Y is about a year old. Im curious to see how long Tesla battery lasts

Reactions: islandbayy
Replacement Tesla battery definitely does not last nearly as long as people expects. Our first battery that came with the car last over 50k miles and 6 years, I had battery (BATTERY, 12V, DCS33- 1.00UNCR, PRE-REFRESH(1083774-00-B)) replaced on my 2016 Model S by mobile service in 2022, and the same replace 12v battery alert comes back in less than 2 years/20k miles.

I brought this up to Tesla service and was told battery should last 3-5 years, but they only offered 1 year warranty for the repair which expired, and the battery that failed in under 2 years is consider a customer pay item. Per Tesla, there is no way to guarantee battery last more than one year even they 'think' it should last longer. Car was properly maintained and Tesla was not able to pinpoint the reason of the premature 12v battery failure either.

Another note is price, back in mid-2022 the cost to replace a Model S battery was $264.06 ($165.00 part + $84.00 labor + $15.06 tax), in couple years the price becomes $291.36 ($165.00 part + $111.30 labor + $15.06 tax).

On a separate note, in the 2022 visit the Mobile tech managed to remove the battery just by taking out the side and top side, and got done in under 20 minutes, so this should be a good DIY project for those who got hands on experience.

That being said, may I ask for any suggestion for Tesla battery replacement (C&D type)? So far the only suggestion is Ohmmu but there seems to be mixed reviews about it. I am somewhat hold back to Ohmmu battery due to:
1. cost more than double to the Tesla battery
2. there may be an issue with low temperature (although I am unable to confirm how 'low' is consider too low of a temperature to cause the BMS to act up)
3. additional complexity (BMS) added another possibility to fail

If anyone has any other suggestions it is greatly appreciated to share, particularly the experience of other 3rd party battery that may yeild better performance/longivity/value.

TIA!

202203_IMG_4913-TeslaModelS.jpeg

Last edited:
Tesla battery definitely does not last nearly as long as people expects. I had battery (BATTERY, 12V, DCS33- 1.00UNCR, PRE-REFRESH(1083774-00-B)) replaced on my 2016 Model S by mobile service in 2022, and the same replace 12v battery alert comes back in less than 2 years/20k miles.

I brought this up to Tesla service and was told battery should last 3-5 years, but they only offered 1 year warranty for the repair which expired, and the battery that failed in under 2 years is consider a customer pay item. Per Tesla, there is no way to guarantee battery last more than one year even they 'think' it should last longer. Car was properly maintained and Tesla was not able to pinpoint the reason of the premature 12v battery failure either.

Another note is price, back in mid-2022 the cost to replace a Model S battery was $264.06 ($165.00 part + $84.00 labor + $15.06 tax), in couple years the price becomes $291.36 ($165.00 part + $111.30 labor + $15.06 tax).

On a separate note, in the 2022 visit the Mobile tech managed to remove the battery just by taking out the side and top side, and got done in under 20 minutes, so this should be a good DIY project for those who got hands on experience.

That being said, may I ask for any suggestion for Tesla battery replacement (C&D type)? So far the only suggestion is Ohmmu but there seems to be mixed reviews about it. I am somewhat hold back to Ohmmu battery due to:
2. there may be an issue with low temperature (although I am unable to confirm how 'low' is consider too low of a temperature to cause the BMS to act up)

If anyone has any other suggestions it is greatly appreciated to share, particularly the experience of other 3rd party battery that may yeild better performance/longivity/value.

TIA!

View attachment 1043448
I had the 12v replaced on my 2019 S last June for $233 via mobile service. The OEM 12v lasted 4 years which I can’t complain about.
If Tesla installs a new 12v they provide a 1 year warranty on the battery. Which is pretty standard, you can’t expect them to warranty it for 3 or 4 years.
The Ohmuu lithium costs around 3x the price of the standard 12v.

I had the 12v replaced on my 2019 S last June for $233 via mobile service. The OEM 12v lasted 4 years which I can’t complain about.
If Tesla installs a new 12v they provide a 1 year warranty on the battery. Which is pretty standard, you can’t expect them to warranty it for 3 or 4 years.
The Ohmuu lithium costs around 3x the price of the standard 12v.

1 year battery warranty is far from being standard. Toyota battery, for example, comes with 24 months free exchange and 84 months prorated warranty. Honda batteries come with 100 months pro-rated warranty. Most other manufacturers' batteries comes with at least 24-48 months warranty, and after market ones like Interstate, Odyssey, and Optima come with 3yr warranty as well. Ohmuu comes with 4 year warranty. I am really curious which other manufacturer offers 12v battery with just 12 month warranty.

If I get 4 years out of the replacement battery like yours, which was what I hoped for when I had Tesla mobile tech replaced mine, I wouldn't complain either, but that's not the case here.

Knowing the amount of reports that replacement Tesla battery last under 2 years, including myself, and the cost to replace one is reaching $300 as of today's price; spending $100 extra for 2+ times longer lifespan may not be a bad idea. However I am still trying to see if anyone tried other alternatives before deciding.

Replacement Tesla battery definitely does not last nearly as long as people expects. Our first battery that came with the car last over 50k miles and 6 years, I had battery (BATTERY, 12V, DCS33- 1.00UNCR, PRE-REFRESH(1083774-00-B)) replaced on my 2016 Model S by mobile service in 2022, and the same replace 12v battery alert comes back in less than 2 years/20k miles.

3. additional complexity (BMS) added another possibility to fail

TIA!
I'm coming up on 2 years and over 60,000 miles, at least on my Ohmmu. It was the older version without the self heating. It has been working flawlessly since install. For some reason, Tesla decided to Overcharge the lead acid batteries, and they are being cooked and the electrolite is being boiled out. That is why they are failing for the majority of them. Original lasted 4 years, each replacement about a year, on both my S and my X.
The Ohmmu has now gone through 2 Wisconsin winters. This winter was fairly mild, though we did have spurts of negative temps, and over a week of solid negative temps, and Freeze-a-geddon that made the news with superchargers not working. Zero issues.
Winter 2022/2023, we had -32 for a couple days in a row and lots of negative temps, Zero Issues. It has been working very well.
I'd "like" to upgrade to the self heating one that also has Bluetooth for monitoring via their app, but can't justify replacing it when it works and has 2 years warranty left. Thus far though, It has paid for itself. I would have bought 1 lead for sure, and would be replacing that one with another one likely in June.