Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is different mechanically between the MY LR and the PUP powertrains?

Maryland

Jul 30, 2020
Maryland
I understand the increased performance in terms of the specifications (faster 0-60; higher top-end speed), and I understand that the PUP comes with different wheels, different brakes, lowered suspension, and a little spoiler (and probably other little things I'm forgetting).

However, I couldn't find any information on how the LR is different from the PUP from a mechanical perspective. How does the powertrain produce better performance? The HV batteries are the same, correct? So does it have a different drive unit? Or is it similar to the Model S Ludicrous upgrade where they replaced/upgraded a fuse? Or is it tuned by the ECU to go faster? Or is it simply a $10k software option and the powertrains are the same?

I'm mainly just curious. My google search yielded many results that talked about specs, but no details about the powertrain differences, if any.

heems

Jan 10, 2011
San Diego
Hardware is all there. Just software restricted..
I just updated my i386 to i7. Wrote some new assembly code and bam! All the transistors were there already. Physics of electricity (current, heat dissipation, resistance, transistor electron tunneling, blah blah) all be damned.

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude

BMax_V.2

Apr 14, 2020
Bay Area
Since I tickled some pickles here, let me rephase.

On select few VINs, mine included, the hardware is all there to make it a "performance" however the unpopular kids in school called the software is holding back the fun.

Then there's the 980/990 motor debate...

LevelHeaded

Dec 31, 2019
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Different rear motors after the initial batches of production, possibly other differences, and then the software, so same as other cars. A BMW M40i has a different engine and different software than a 330i, for example, along with other differences. There is more shared between the 2 Teslas because the power trains have less components to differ, but same idea.

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland

Barrygold

Jun 20, 2019
Midwest
Performance
9EB9C00B-2CD3-4492-9C6F-FD0B9B310774.jpeg

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
hmmm some early VIN MYY AWD got the 990 (like me) and I'm waiting on the performance software/paid upgrade. I have your handle as my license plate :). here is the thread -- Performance Boost

Cool plate!

BTW, some early AWD MYs had performance VINs and the 980 performance motor. The 990 is the normal AWD rear motor. My first MY came in with a performance VIN, but I asked for a different one because it had a broken roof glass. I never took delivery, so I couldn't verify it had the 980 motor. (I'm pretty sure it did.) My June MY has a 990.

I've heard that, even with the acceleration-boost, the 980 isn't faster, at least not in the early M3 AWDs that had the 980. It would be good to see this verified. Hopefully we'll have the acceleration-boost so we can find out soon.

20200817_181620.jpg

Reactions: kmacm20

same

Mar 8, 2020
someplace over the rainbow
Cool plate!

BTW, some early AWD MYs had performance VINs and the 980 performance motor. The 990 is the normal AWD rear motor. My first MY came in with a performance VIN, but I asked for a different one because it had a broken roof glass. I never took delivery, so I couldn't verify it had the 980 motor. (I'm pretty sure it did.) My June MY has a 990.

I've heard that, even with the acceleration-boost, the 980 isn't faster, at least not in the early M3 AWDs that had the 980. It would be good to see this verified. Hopefully we'll have the acceleration-boost so we can find out soon.

View attachment 577548

ya, I'm not sure in matters either --- but I crawled under the car to see :) I have a 27xx VIN from March. I'm good with 2K to go even more faster.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
ya, I'm not sure in matters either --- but I crawled under the car to see :) I have a 27xx VIN from March. I'm good with 2K to go even more faster.

You can reach behind your rear drivers wheel and snap a pic of your motor tag like I did in the post above to see your motor model. No need to crawl under the car.

Reactions: same

same

Mar 8, 2020
someplace over the rainbow
Cool plate!

View attachment 577548
I'm ok with only being like .5 slower

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC