Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is different mechanically between the MY LR and the PUP powertrains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the increased performance in terms of the specifications (faster 0-60; higher top-end speed), and I understand that the PUP comes with different wheels, different brakes, lowered suspension, and a little spoiler (and probably other little things I'm forgetting).

However, I couldn't find any information on how the LR is different from the PUP from a mechanical perspective. How does the powertrain produce better performance? The HV batteries are the same, correct? So does it have a different drive unit? Or is it similar to the Model S Ludicrous upgrade where they replaced/upgraded a fuse? Or is it tuned by the ECU to go faster? Or is it simply a $10k software option and the powertrains are the same?

I'm mainly just curious. My google search yielded many results that talked about specs, but no details about the powertrain differences, if any.

Since I tickled some pickles here, let me rephase.

On select few VINs, mine included, the hardware is all there to make it a "performance" however the unpopular kids in school called the software is holding back the fun.

Then there's the 980/990 motor debate...

Different rear motors after the initial batches of production, possibly other differences, and then the software, so same as other cars. A BMW M40i has a different engine and different software than a 330i, for example, along with other differences. There is more shared between the 2 Teslas because the power trains have less components to differ, but same idea.

• Informative
Reactions: Maryland
Performance
9EB9C00B-2CD3-4492-9C6F-FD0B9B310774.jpeg

hmmm some early VIN MYY AWD got the 990 (like me) and I'm waiting on the performance software/paid upgrade. I have your handle as my license plate :). here is the thread -- Performance Boost

Cool plate!

BTW, some early AWD MYs had performance VINs and the 980 performance motor. The 990 is the normal AWD rear motor. My first MY came in with a performance VIN, but I asked for a different one because it had a broken roof glass. I never took delivery, so I couldn't verify it had the 980 motor. (I'm pretty sure it did.) My June MY has a 990.

I've heard that, even with the acceleration-boost, the 980 isn't faster, at least not in the early M3 AWDs that had the 980. It would be good to see this verified. Hopefully we'll have the acceleration-boost so we can find out soon.

20200817_181620.jpg

Reactions: kmacm20
Cool plate!

BTW, some early AWD MYs had performance VINs and the 980 performance motor. The 990 is the normal AWD rear motor. My first MY came in with a performance VIN, but I asked for a different one because it had a broken roof glass. I never took delivery, so I couldn't verify it had the 980 motor. (I'm pretty sure it did.) My June MY has a 990.

I've heard that, even with the acceleration-boost, the 980 isn't faster, at least not in the early M3 AWDs that had the 980. It would be good to see this verified. Hopefully we'll have the acceleration-boost so we can find out soon.

View attachment 577548

ya, I'm not sure in matters either --- but I crawled under the car to see :) I have a 27xx VIN from March. I'm good with 2K to go even more faster.

ya, I'm not sure in matters either --- but I crawled under the car to see :) I have a 27xx VIN from March. I'm good with 2K to go even more faster.

You can reach behind your rear drivers wheel and snap a pic of your motor tag like I did in the post above to see your motor model. No need to crawl under the car.

Reactions: same
Cool plate!

View attachment 577548
I'm ok with only being like .5 slower