Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is estimated for maintenance after warranty is over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this forum. I am consider buying a used model s, since I can't wait years for model 3.
I do wanna know what is estimated cost of repair for tesla model s after warrantly is over. It is only tesla can service there?

Model S's can be expensive to repair outside of the warranty. Common problems include door handles ($800 each), touchscreen problems ($1000-$4000 depending on what's wrong), charging hardware, etc. Air suspensions are also notoriously expensive to fix, although we haven't seen a lot of that yet on the S.

Basically, if buying used, you should expect to pay for repairs and maintenance what you would pay for a BMW 7/8 series or similarly priced car. As of today, only Tesla services Model S's. That may change in the future, but how long that will take is unknown at this point.

I recommend finding a CPO if possible. They come with a new 4 year 50k mile warranty that is the same as the new car warranty. (That's what I did while I wait on my 3 :) )

Model S's can be expensive to repair outside of the warranty. Common problems include door handles ($800 each), touchscreen problems ($1000-$4000 depending on what's wrong), charging hardware, etc. Air suspensions are also notoriously expensive to fix, although we haven't seen a lot of that yet on the S.

Basically, if buying used, you should expect to pay for repairs and maintenance what you would pay for a BMW 7/8 series or similarly priced car. As of today, only Tesla services Model S's. That may change in the future, but how long that will take is unknown at this point.

I recommend finding a CPO if possible. They come with a new 4 year 50k mile warranty that is the same as the new car warranty. (That's what I did while I wait on my 3 :) )

I see your point but the certified use will cost 13k more from about the same model I looking for.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense unless you don't understand risk and you are so bad with money that you get zero return on your investments - the OCC of $13K is not insignificant. The Model S has a drive train under warranty for unlimited miles for 8 years. - it most certainly will not cost the same as an out of warranty 7 series to maintain. Door handles have been mostly solved - he can always check to see what has already been replaced on his car. Reliability ratings are going up each year.

Well, 13k will cover a LOT of repairs. So, that might be worth it.

No, no it wouldn't be worth it. $13K to pay for an insurance policy on a car with an unlimited mileage drive train warranty? So get one without air springs. Door handles have mostly been solved - look at the reliability ratings and they are improving every year, and most problem parts have gone through several generations by now.

$13K getting 10% for for years is more than $13K. Over a lifetime of making purchases you will come out way ahead not buying warranties on used products. If you can't afford to repair your S out of warranty you can't afford the car. If you *can* afford to pay $13K for a warranty you can in fact afford to repair your car and you'll come out ahead in the long run by doing so.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense unless you don't understand risk and you are so bad with money that you get zero return on your investments - the OCC of $13K is not insignificant. The Model S has a drive train under warranty for unlimited miles for 8 years. - it most certainly will not cost the same as an out of warranty 7 series to maintain. Door handles have been mostly solved - he can always check to see what has already been replaced on his car. Reliability ratings are going up each year.

No, no it wouldn't be worth it. $13K to pay for an insurance policy on a car with an unlimited mileage drive train warranty? So get one without air springs. Door handles have mostly been solved - look at the reliability ratings and they are improving every year, and most problem parts have gone through several generations by now.

$13K getting 10% for for years is more than $13K. Over a lifetime of making purchases you will come out way ahead not buying warranties on used products. If you can't afford to repair your S out of warranty you can't afford the car. If you *can* afford to pay $13K for a warranty you can in fact afford to repair your car and you'll come out ahead in the long run by doing so.

Reliability ratings have been going up each year, but I believe the OP is looking at 2012/2013 cars based on their other posts. So they might buy a car without the new door handles, and the car they mentioned only had 500 miles left on the factory warranty. The OP asked about common problems, those were common problems.

Before he mentioned the price differential he was looking at, I always recommend a CPO for folks who are concerned about reliability. Most of the time the price differential is more like $4000, so it might make sense to pay a little extra for piece of mind. When he stated the car was $13k less, then I felt that would be worth it to buy the cheaper out of warranty car. Not that he would spend $13k on repairs, obviously, but that he probably wouldn't and that car was a better deal. Even if he had to replace all 4 door handles and the MCU, he would still come out ahead.

So I think you misunderstood my post. I was arguing the non warranty car was the one to go for same as you.

Hm - wow. I thought that had solved, honestly.
I'm just bitter, because the 2nd handle was the drivers handle and it's a PITA opening the car with a credit card. It was fixed a few weeks ago, promptly after which my 12V battery gave me an error and I had to go back to the SvC to get it fixed... (finally done a few days ago)

I'll get back to being my pessimistic un-happy self soon enough ;)

• Funny
Reactions: wviands
Some people are just unlucky. I had very little trouble with my 2012 Model S. 3 of the handles were replaced in the first few months, and then nothing. I had a bent frunk latch. Replaced. Everything was taken care of. I sold the car with 82+K miles on it at 3 years and bought a 90D. Have had it a year and a half. One squeak in the pano was fixed in the first month, then nothing. I have 38,000 on it.

I have also not taken my car in for "routine" maintenance. What is that?? Refill the windshield fluid? If something needs doing, the car will notify you on the dash. I called my service center about maybe needing to replace the 12 v. battery. They asked if I had a notice on the dash. Nope. They told me to wait. Way back when, Tesla's policy was, "there is no maintenance".

As for only being able to service your car at Tesla, that's goofy. A lot of things you can do yourself, including buying a new 12 v. battery on line and putting it in yourself. Tires are about half price if you buy them on line and have a local tire shop mount and balance them. My local body shop can do just about any body part replacement. Not Tesla.

I would never recommend that anyone buy an insurance package. Over time, they don't pay. I know, I know, people with years of taking care of gas cars can hardly do this, but it's OK when you get used to it.

I am buying a 2013 CPO. Here is my heart burn. I have on order a 85 with 51k miles so only 2 year warranty. A 60 came up for the same money but 20k less miles and the 4 year warranty. All other specs the same supercharging, tech , no sas etc. So really for me it comes down to whether or not two extra years of the cpo warranty is worth giving up the 85 for the 60. Will probably drive the car 4 or more years, any thoughts? P.S. on a daily basis I don't need the range but after driving a Leaf for two years I know all about range!

Some people are just unlucky. I had very little trouble with my 2012 Model S. 3 of the handles were replaced in the first few months, and then nothing. I had a bent frunk latch. Replaced. Everything was taken care of. I sold the car with 82+K miles on it at 3 years and bought a 90D. Have had it a year and a half. One squeak in the pano was fixed in the first month, then nothing. I have 38,000 on it.

I have also not taken my car in for "routine" maintenance. What is that?? Refill the windshield fluid? If something needs doing, the car will notify you on the dash. I called my service center about maybe needing to replace the 12 v. battery. They asked if I had a notice on the dash. Nope. They told me to wait. Way back when, Tesla's policy was, "there is no maintenance".

As for only being able to service your car at Tesla, that's goofy. A lot of things you can do yourself, including buying a new 12 v. battery on line and putting it in yourself. Tires are about half price if you buy them on line and have a local tire shop mount and balance them. My local body shop can do just about any body part replacement. Not Tesla.

I would never recommend that anyone buy an insurance package. Over time, they don't pay. I know, I know, people with years of taking care of gas cars can hardly do this, but it's OK when you get used to it.
Wow! After just ordering S and having 3 on order since day one I was buying on consumer confidence that there is little to no repairs or maintenance on these cars. After reading some of the posts I was about to throw my non refundable $2500 deposit away! Then I came upon this specific post. I live about a mile away from a Supercharger and before I bought in so to speak I figured that would be the best place to get honest reviews. Well I finally stopped stalking folks as they were charging because I had heard enough! You see after going there many many times and talking with new owners and folks who had there car for 2-3 years and even one guy who bought back to back same model S but upgraded to 100 not one person not a one said anything negative about the car! Only one guy said he had a issue with the handles after warranty and they fixed at no cost! The gentleman that bought one and two years later upgraded to 100 said it was his first time he ever purchased two of the same model cars in his lifetime ...he also told me some of the cars he had owned and wow....not even his Mercedes 600 was as impressive as his S. Virtually no out of pocket expense unlike his Mercedes. I do realize anything can happen and thats why some of us by lots of insurance and some of us run the risk and sometimes it pays off and sometimes well maybe not. All I can go by is the unbelievable stories I have heard from owners and its getting a little boring of hearing over and over how happy they are and hopefully I will be too!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I will give you a slightly different spin... I think...I bought my car at 2 y/o from a private seller (No sales tax in Nevada on used private sale vehicles) and saved a ton of money over a CPO. Then I spent the 4K on the extended warranty... so at the time of purchase I had 6 years or 85K in mileage warranty left which is technically better than a CPO for less money. However, I believe that you have to validate that the car is eligible for the warrant extension. Just something to think about... to me the 4 K is just one touchscreen problem. So it seemed like a no brainer for an additional 4 years.