Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is HW2.0 vs HW2.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep seeing references for HW2.5 and I have no idea what that is, vs what is HW2.0? I knew of AP1 and AP2?

Thanks for the help. :)

HW 2.0 is what Elon (and presumably Tesla) calls AP2.

The Model 3 and S/X built after the 3 introduction have some changes to the hardware details even though they have the same general camera set, including radar from a different supplier and a new processing unit (may be other differences we don't know about yet.) Those are the hardware 2.5 cars.

They really need to add an updated article to add more information.

Like we know the Radar is different, but the article doesn't mention it.

It also doesn't really mention what the extra computing power is.

It simply says

“The internal name HW 2.5 is an overstatement, and instead it should be called something more like HW 2.1. This hardware set has some added computing and wiring redundancy, which very slightly improves reliability, but it does not have an additional Pascal GPU.”

Reactions: scottf200
For all we know, it may have been insurance.... If they need to, they can go back and redo all the 2.0’s with 2.5. If they don’t, they are okay as is. A lot we don’t know. There must be some reason they chose ‘now’ (August) as a time to make this change and not a larger change.