Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is sneak preview of FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why you guys would be excited about a SS-like City NoA... That would be a disaster. We need City NoA to be release at 1x human capability.
You gotta crawl before you walk.

Everything has to start somewhere. It's certainly not because I want this to be the best it ever is. It's that I'm ready to see the beginning of the future.

Smart Summon is garbage and the only thing that limits the amount of damage it can do is how slow it moves. I don’t want that system scaled up and operating at city speeds. Yeah, you have to crawl before you walk, but you don’t do that with unpolished alpha software on public streets. I might as well toss my dog in the driver’s seat and let him have a jolly good time learning to drive. Have to crawl before you can walk, right?!

I look forward to the first time a Tesla blows through a stop light and seeing the merry band of morons claiming Tesla had zero role to play in that because the driver should’ve anticipated that would happen because lol it’s in beta!

@powertoold is absolutely correct that anything less than a 1x multiple is just plain unsafe to release.

Smart Summon is garbage and the only thing that limits the amount of damage it can do is how slow it moves. I don’t want that system scaled up and operating at city speeds. Yeah, you have to crawl before you walk, but you don’t do that with unpolished alpha software on public streets. I might as well toss my dog in the driver’s seat and let him have a jolly good time learning to drive. Have to crawl before you can walk, right?!

I look forward to the first time a Tesla blows through a stop light and seeing the merry band of morons claiming Tesla had zero role to play in that because the driver should’ve anticipated that would happen because lol it’s in beta!

@powertoold is absolutely correct that anything less than a 1x multiple is just plain unsafe to release.
You bought the wrong car then. Maybe go back to a dumb car until things get sorted out.

I’m reading through quite a few complaints. You folks didn’t buy a Chevrolet. I’ll venture to guess, you knew exactly what you were buying. Full self driving will evolve exponentially — your investment will pay pay handsomely. Just my opinion.

Except for folks who paid $3,000 for FSD and now their leases are ending and they never got anything for their $3,000. Those folks, at the very least, should get their three grand back.

Except for folks who paid $3,000 for FSD and now their leases are ending and they never got anything for their $3,000. Those folks, at the very least, should get their three grand back.
Agree that the lease scenario is a potential issue. It can easily be resolved by letting that purchase roll to the next vehicle and/or refunding the $3K at lease termination should the individual chose not to re-lease.

OK... then for those that are frustrated with being on the leading edge of software development should treat it as a dumb car and stop complaining.

If something has been promised to them by the CEO, they've paid for that thing, and they haven't taken delivery, then they have absolutely every right to complain about whatever they like.

Found this clip on reddit with Eli Burton and Alex Guberman. Eli says that he has a friend in EA who got the FSD sneak preview. He describes it as "street level autopilot" and says it will "blow people's minds" in a couple weeks when videos come out.

FSD Sneak Preview is gonna " to blow people minds" - Reddit

It is second hand hearsay so who knows. But if true, it sounds like the FSD sneak preview could be AP3 specific code for the "automatic city driving" feature.

Just like Enhanced Summons "blows people minds"? If so, you know what to expect....not much

Just like Enhanced Summons "blows people minds"? If so, you know what to expect....not much

I'm just reporting what I found. But I get that people are skeptical after Smart Summon was touted as mind blowing and it disappointed. We will see with the FSD sneak peak. Honestly, "blows people's minds" is very subjective. For some people the current NOA blows their minds while others shrug their shoulders. Likewise, maybe the FSD sneak peak will genuinely be impressive or maybe it's just traffic light response and some simple turning at basic intersections that yes, for some people, will blow their minds but not to others. In any case, we will see soon enough.

OK... then for those that are frustrated with being on the leading edge of software development should treat it as a dumb car and stop complaining.

Why shouldn't a person complain when a company has breached a contractual promise to provide a service they paid for? People were promised that their car would not need a driver. Personally, I think it was unrealistic to think Tesla could deliver that during the expected life of a 2018 car. But the promise was made and people paid money on that promise.

My car does everything I paid for, because I paid for only what it could already do. I'll upgrade when they get to Level 3. Knock on wood that's within five years or so. I'm confident they'll get there, but not with my 2018 HW2.5 car.

Look visualizations are great and all, they wow people, but a preview of actual driving capability they are not.
"Wow" gets people talking, and no other consumer vehicles are doing this now even if it's very "basic" for self-driving competitors.

> The driving visualization can now display additional objects which include stop lights, stop signs and select road markings. The stop sign and stop light visualizations are not a substitute for an attentive driver and will not stop the car. To see these additional objects in your driving visualization, tap Controls > Autopilot > Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview.

This other second hand source is also saying that "city level autopilot" is coming to EA by year's end. So I think (hope) the FSD visualizations might be step 1 and actual "city level autopilot" will go to EA afterwards.

From Model 3 FB page:
Chip Stratton
Conversation Starter · 5 hrs
I ran into a Tesla Autopilot engineer today, who provided some interesting information:
1. They are continuing to work hard on Smart Summon, and a version he has tested is performing extremely well in parking lots packed with holiday shoppers.
2. Autopilot is not as smooth on the more powerful Model 3 vehicles as on the less powerful ones and they are working on that problem.
3. Early Adopters should get city driving autopilot before year end.
4. Pothole and road debris avoidance will be very difficult using purely neural net techniques so they are exploring alternative approaches to lessen the load on the computer.
5. Reducing phantom braking is currently a very high priority.
6. Tesla gathers huge amounts of data when a vehicle is in autopilot; but little when not.

This other second hand source is also saying that "city level autopilot" is coming to EA by year's end. So I think (hope) the FSD visualizations might be step 1 and actual "city level autopilot" will go to EA afterwards.

From Model 3 FB page:
Chip Stratton
Conversation Starter · 5 hrs
I ran into a Tesla Autopilot engineer today, who provided some interesting information:
1. They are continuing to work hard on Smart Summon, and a version he has tested is performing extremely well in parking lots packed with holiday shoppers.
2. Autopilot is not as smooth on the more powerful Model 3 vehicles as on the less powerful ones and they are working on that problem.
3. Early Adopters should get city driving autopilot before year end.
4. Pothole and road debris avoidance will be very difficult using purely neural net techniques so they are exploring alternative approaches to lessen the load on the computer.
5. Reducing phantom braking is currently a very high priority.
6. Tesla gathers huge amounts of data when a vehicle is in autopilot; but little when not.

Your point number 3, regarding early adopters, surely means early adopters with HW3.

Reactions: Ludalicious
Which is not an early adopter by any stretch of any means...

Heres to hoping somebody side swipes my ap2 car and gets me out of my lease that i have 8 months left on.

The other side of me says i should keep this car and wait it out and actually see what they are gunna do. But idk how i feel about my 90d battery pack. I only get 260 miles...kinda feels like a downer when new LR model s gets 370.

Reactions: SunCharged