Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla's upcoming 'under your nose' announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the stuff wasn't ready yet. Tesla couldn't wait forever before they got the car to market. They could have gone under waiting for every feature to be tested and fully functional. They have a lot of pressure to make sure everything functions perfectly. They only have one model for sale. Bad press could be fatal....

The cars are all wired for parking sensors in front, and - apparently - blind spot detection.
Just in case you did not know. This hit the forum some time ago.
Patience. And virtuous parking sensors will follow. Front.
Not sure there is one for rear - just one right under your nose...nose cone.
Not sure if additional physical work or fee is involved.
Never had a car that kept getting better as I owned it.

There is DEFINITELY no provision on the Model S for parking sensors. I have personally removed both the front and rear fascia and both bumpers from my car, and reinstalled them. There is no wiring there for sensors. This was also confirmed by a tech at the Rockville service center - no provision anywhere in the wiring harness. Same for illuminated visor mirrors.

- - - Updated - - -

No one knows for sure if anything is there at all. At least no one who would speak up openly in the public (including this forum). It's all rumors and speculation at this point.

I do know for absolute certain. On may car, sn 4061, delivered 2/2/13, there is no wiring for parking or proximity sensors. I have personally disassembled all of the front and rear body panels, underpanels front and rear, wheel well liners (cheap felt), and bumper crossbars on my car. This was documented with pictures on the TM forum. I have traced all visible wiring on the stripped car. There is no provision for parking assist on the car.

Elon's announcements in the past have not measured up to the hype. I'm a believer in the key to success is managing expectations. He has set expectations extremely high and thus what normally and otherwise would be viewed as breakthrough or wonderful is viewed as a disappointment. Example given- the hype around their lease/guaranteed residual plan. He hyped that up and it was a complete letdown.

Take a page from Apple and don't spread hype via twitter, just announce. Maybe the hype is to promote the company without paying for advertisements which saves cash but isn't beneficial if the stock drops with every announcement.

There is an unused harness with a male connector behind the passenger side rear tire. I can't recall how many pins were in the connector. The picture attached isn't that great, however I only took a couple of photos during the tow package install. You can see a couple of zip ties securing the connector.

My bet for the final surprise announcement that is "under your nose" is the availability of an API and the opening of an App Store which will allow us to add tremendous functionality like waze to our display.

This would be most exciting to me. Parking sensors and proximity sensors don't tickle my fancy but opening up the API to devs is VERY exciting.

My bet for the final surprise announcement that is "under your nose" is the availability of an API and the opening of an App Store which will allow us to add tremendous functionality like waze to our display.
My opinion: This will happen at some point, but far further down the road. Like, 12 to 18 months from now. As always, I may be wrong.