Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla's upcoming 'under your nose' announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's announcements in the past have not measured up to the hype.

As far as I know, Elon tweeted something like "I'm going to put my money where my mouth is". He then personally guaranteed that the Model S would have at least the same value as the S type Mercedes after three years. I don't see where the hype is (other than that speculation was rampant).

:smile:

It's also free advertising to get people to upgrade to the Performance Model S!!! People who own lower trims will be drooling after the hotter trim after driving the loaner!

I'll do you one better:biggrin:: I think the standard 85's can be field upgraded to "nearly" a performance spec car. The interior trim level wouldn't change, but the 0-60 times could be matched. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, however I do know this: My watt meter shows 320 when I floor it; I think that translates to 416 hp, not the 362 hp reported spec. In other words the standard car is being software limited. Lets hope.

So they have made the following announcements in the last week after their "financing plan":

1) P85 loaner cars, which we can assume was their 'service related' announcement
2) European Options, which we can assume should be available in U.S. market at some point (hopefully available for retrofitting)
3) <tbd, supercharger announcement>

there's still the question of whether or not #2 is related to the "already under your nose" comment. if not parking sensor related, could be SDK related. What's under my nose? My mouth. What do I do with that? I use mine to talk. Sometimes. Perhaps they are going to offer an integrated phone over the 3G service??? Connection's already there...

So they have made the following announcements in the last week after their "financing plan":

1) P85 loaner cars, which we can assume was their 'service related' announcement
2) European Options, which we can assume should be available in U.S. market at some point (hopefully available for retrofitting)
3) <tbd, supercharger announcement>

there's still the question of whether or not #2 is related to the "already under your nose" comment. if not parking sensor related, could be SDK related. What's under my nose? My mouth. What do I do with that? I use mine to talk. Sometimes. Perhaps they are going to offer an integrated phone over the 3G service??? Connection's already there...
I hope the options are avaiable before my car goes into production

Randy Carlson speculates on the hidden secret under your nose...

New piece on Seeking Alpha by Tesla enthusiast Randy Carlson speculates that the hidden secret under your nose which Elon referred to means that Tesla will offer an AWD version of the S later this year. I think he's completely wrong on this one, but it's an interesting speculation.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1333951-the-3-tesla-secrets

I still think "under your nose" is either your mouth or dashboard so it'll be software enhancements.

While I like the idea of cranking performance with AWD, I think right now Tesla is focused on Model S and sales and will avoid anything that will add cost or complicate production.

I think the increase in parts volume is just to ensure they don't have production constraints while cranking out the European Model S.

I still think "under your nose" is either your mouth or dashboard so it'll be software enhancements.

While I like the idea of cranking performance with AWD, I think right now Tesla is focused on Model S and sales and will avoid anything that will add cost or complicate production.

I think the increase in parts volume is just to ensure they don't have production constraints while cranking out the European Model S.

+1. I agree, its going to be some lame upgrade to the software that they probably should have rolled out with the car in the first place, and probably had some intern write up over a month or two. I want them to open-source their kernel, or have some sort of API so I can just write stuff myself wo having to wait for these slow trickle of updates.

Didn't Elon say "if you're a Model S owner" then it's right under your nose? I doubt the extra motor(s) are already in the car. If I'm a current S owner, chances are I wouldn't be too thrilled about something that likely can't be retrofitted.

If you look at one of the "sleds" in stores, you can see that it would be relatively easy to add a front drive unit. The front suspension seems to be built to accommodate front drive shafts, and the motor would fit into that pocket area in the frunk. While a Model S could be upgraded, I'll bet it would be an expensive proposition (maybe $10 k).

Thanks for that. Hmm, that does change it up a bit, but I think it still comes down to the same, since he didn't say "If you're test driving a Model S"; which would indicate only newer cars have them or something to that effect.

It's about time for the data package payment plans to be announced, so my guess is that 4G capability is already in the cars and that's the secret upgrade right under our noses.