Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla's upcoming 'under your nose' announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's tweeted that the announcement is coming tomorrow and will make existing Tesla owners happy...

The title of this thread is misleading. This thread is about the 5th announcement (when the thread was created there had already been two, so the fifth was the "third upcoming"). The third announcement is service. To recap:

#1: Profit!
#2: "Lease"
#3: service
#4: supercharger
#5: under your nose

The Teslamotors website indicates an announcement, Friday @10:30am pst.
Of course it's already past that where i am.

1. Where do you see that on the Tesla Motors website? Does that mean the announcement will be made at 9:30AM PDT??? It seems strange to use PST when California observes daylight savings time and we're currently on PDT.

2. Of course it's not past 10:30AM PST/PDT where you're at... or anywhere for that matter... unless you're in the future... In that case, why don't you just tell us what the announcement was/is/will-be?

Can't possibly be "free." No way Tesla can afford that at this stage in business cycle. My guess is that those who pre-pay for service will be able to use either Toyota or MBZ dealers for service, since they have to have technicians trained on the Tesla powertrain components anyway to service the vehicles they are/will be selling using the Tesla powertrain. I noticed in my recent visit to Tesla how much simpler Tesla service is than on any ICE vehicle; most situations seem to call for just removing a malfunctioning modular unit (eg, a door handle unit) and plugging in a new one. I saw them drop the entire rear axle and all power components on a gorgeous red MS, and it basically involved unclipping a dozen electrical connectors, removing a dozen bolts and lowering the entire unit down on a lift. voila, done, not one stray part anywhere, just 2 modules, the car on the high lift and the entire rear axle unit rolled away. Would have been a half day project on any ICE with many, many individual parts and fluids removed. That simplicity would support the argument they could trust Tesla trained techs at another company, as long as they control the revenue through pre-payment. And Tesla service centers are clearly currently overwhelmed. But still, just a guess.

Can't possibly be "free." No way Tesla can afford that at this stage in business cycle. My guess is that those who pre-pay for service will be able to use either Toyota or MBZ dealers for service, since they have to have technicians trained on the Tesla powertrain components anyway to service the vehicles they are/will be selling using the Tesla powertrain. I noticed in my recent visit to Tesla how much simpler Tesla service is than on any ICE vehicle; most situations seem to call for just removing a malfunctioning modular unit (eg, a door handle unit) and plugging in a new one. I saw them drop the entire rear axle and all power components on a gorgeous red MS, and it basically involved unclipping a dozen electrical connectors, removing a dozen bolts and lowering the entire unit down on a lift. voila, done, not one stray part anywhere, just 2 modules, the car on the high lift and the entire rear axle unit rolled away. Would have been a half day project on any ICE with many, many individual parts and fluids removed. That simplicity would support the argument they could trust Tesla trained techs at another company, as long as they control the revenue through pre-payment. And Tesla service centers are clearly currently overwhelmed. But still, just a guess.

If they do decide to offer service at all/most Toyota/Mercedes dealerships, I would be a bit disappointed that I spring for the unlimited ranger service since I could simply drive to my nearest Toyota or Benz dealership. I went with ranger because the closest service center isn't exactly a hop, skip and a jump for me. However, that might be offset by having a Tesla loaner while the Tesla service center is doing work vs. a Corolla while Toyota is doing it. :)

Am I the only one who could care less about taking my car to a MB dealership? I wouldn't take mine to a Toyota dealership, I had a friend with a Corolla who brought in his Corolla to a dealership for his 60k service, they told him his brakes needed replacement, new rotors and everything. He did it. Then took in his car at ~65k miles because they didn't tighten the oil drain plug properly, to the same dealership. They tried to sell him on new brakes again. This was about 4 months later.

I wouldn't expect that much better from a random MB dealership, specially when you consider you aren't bringing in a MB. Why would they give a crap about not screwing you over?

Besides the Tesla SC in Marietta (Atlanta) is closer than any MB dealer to me. And more convenient to get to than the close Toyota dealers.

If they do decide to offer service at all/most Toyota/Mercedes dealerships, I would be a bit disappointed that I spring for the unlimited ranger service since I could simply drive to my nearest Toyota or Benz dealership. I went with ranger because the closest service center isn't exactly a hop, skip and a jump for me. However, that might be offset by having a Tesla loaner while the Tesla service center is doing work vs. a Corolla while Toyota is doing it. :)

I would think that people further from a service center despite ranger service would particularly want Toyota/Mercedes service center points of access. One of the major inconveniences of unexpected service is the downtime entailed while getting your car fixed. It stands to reason that being less than 5 miles from the nearest point of service vs 50+ miles would most likely decrease that down time. I have wondered for a while if Tesla did their math right for the number of rangers they will need for the ever increasing number of Tesla owners far from service centers.

- - - Updated - - -

Note to moderators: shouldn't the posts starting at about post 153 be moved over to the strategy thread to keep things tidy?

1. Where do you see that on the Tesla Motors website? Does that mean the announcement will be made at 9:30AM PDT??? It seems strange to use PST when California observes daylight savings time and we're currently on PDT.

I'm one who cares about accuracy of using PDT vs PST in the right time of year (probably because I grew up in AZ, which does not utilized DST / Summer Time and is always on MST except for the Navajo Nation in NE AZ) -- but this is a common mistake and not work sniping on.

I know the link to the announcement wasn't posted until later -- but I noticed Tesla used the same terminology I use when scheduling calls in multiple time zones -- they just said 10:30am Pacific / 1:30pm Eastern with no reference to DST or Standard time. Simple solution.