Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla's upcoming 'under your nose' announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
* Adaptive cruise control
* Blind spot sensor
* Lane departure warning
]

Wishful thinking I believe. No one has reported sensors after having work done on their S. And without sensors, none of those items will work.

My belief-as I have seen and played with- the service and diagnostic menu is that it was designed for use in future builds and models. I'd like to be wrong, but highly doubt those claims.

According to the diagnostics info, we may have the following which could be related to the upcoming "under the nose" announcement:

* Adaptive cruise control
* Blind spot sensor
* Lane departure warning

You could be right. But making that less likely is that those entries are not new. I ran across them on my car around 4 months ago. I am with steve841 in thinking this is more likely to help differentiate from future cars.

In case TM is viewing this thread, I want to go on record that I would pay to have an upgrade adding sensors for adaptive cruise. Have it on my MB and really miss it on Tess.

I can take or leave adaptive cruise. What I'd like from the same sensors is collision avoidance. And parking sensors. I'm crossing my fingers for a reasonably priced retrofit option.

It's adaptive cruise control. Someone got into diagnostics, it's already in the software, just not enabled
Please Enter Access Code - Page 11

There are a LOT of similar options I've personally seen on those config screens, that are more than just simple matters of enabling. AWD comes to mind...
My guess is the software is shared across the Model S and Model X development trains, so there's stuff that is present in the software, visible to only techs, that does not apply to every vehicle.

Perhaps Elon is announcing a facial appearance change?
8ek3NLa.jpg

There are a LOT of similar options I've personally seen on those config screens, that are more than just simple matters of enabling. AWD comes to mind...
My guess is the software is shared across the Model S and Model X development trains, so there's stuff that is present in the software, visible to only techs, that does not apply to every vehicle.

It is very easy to use multiple development streams, I do it every day. There is no good reason for Model X specific features to be added to Model S. I think a more likely scenario is that these were features that were dropped at some point during Model S development when they realized that they wouldn't be able to do everything they originally planned. Removing the code generally isn't worth the effort. Leaving it there to be built on later is pretty common.