Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the correct procedure to remove the Dashcam USB drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dashcam is always recording ( or putting files on my HD that is installed ).

I'm wondering if you guys know the absolute proper way to remove the HD ( or whatever device you have installed ). I always feel apprehensive about just yanking out a USB device without letting the OS know that its going to be removed. I have corrupted stuff by physically removing a device during a write or read operation.

I don't want to lose any video data by just yanking out the device.

The software is crappy- it does not appear to have any coding for genuinely clean unmounting of a volume.

Stopping recording and waiting (potentially up to a full minute since others have reported the code is only writing full minute clips at a time from cache) is the "safest" way but you might still get some kind of "would you like windows to fix errors on this drive" type message when plugging into a real PC afterward.

My dashcam is always recording ( or putting files on my HD that is installed ).

I'm wondering if you guys know the absolute proper way to remove the HD ( or whatever device you have installed ). I always feel apprehensive about just yanking out a USB device without letting the OS know that its going to be removed. I have corrupted stuff by physically removing a device during a write or read operation.

I don't want to lose any video data by just yanking out the device.
The only official guidance from Tesla is on page 72 of the 2019.36.1 NA Owners manual.
PAUSED. Press and hold the dashcam icon, when recording, to pause recording. Ensure that dashcam is paused before removing the flash drive to avoid losing camera footage.

For usb storage devices in general - remove them quickly and assertively.

“Jiggling” them out creates risk that the OS sees it as reinserted and then will then start to write data again which is bad.

Execute like a guillotine and not a strangulation. :)