Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this headlight calibration setting mean? [not headlight, follow distance]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to find out what this adjust mean 2-7 for the headlight
53DB80B6-45C6-4F64-B205-9171799DA4D2.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki and KenC
Thats not headlight calibration. Thats follow distance.

Adjust the Following Distance​

To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model 3 and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, press the steering wheel's right scroll button to the left or right. Choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance). Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you.
Image showing a zoombox going to the right scroll wheel with arrows going left and right on the scroll wheel.
As you adjust the following distance, the touchscreen displays the current setting.
Screenshot of two cars with a measurement between them and the number 3.
Note
Your setting is retained until you manually change it.

It's daft anyway, anything lower than 4 is way too short. I think there's a difference between radar and vision in what minimum you can set.
It probably doesn't matter anymore, as Tesla has been moving people to pure vision with the recent updates. Minimum following distance with radar is 1, vision is 2.

As far as what the numbers actually mean, I have no idea. Does anyone know? Car length? Seconds? or something else?

It probably doesn't matter anymore, as Tesla has been moving people to pure vision with the recent updates. Minimum following distance with radar is 1, vision is 2.

As far as what the numbers actually mean, I have no idea. Does anyone know? Car length? Seconds? or something else?
It says right there in the passage quoted in the manual:
"Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model 3, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you."

Officially it is car length - but the following distance changes with speed so it is actually seconds. For any state I'm familiar with legal following distance is 3 seconds, only setting 7 is close to legal.

Reactions: XPsionic
I always assumed the units were 0.5secs. So, setting 7 would be 3.5secs. And, then when I drive, I count the seconds after the car ahead passes a shadow, and it seems to be over 3secs before I pass the shadow, so I figured it must be 0.5sec increments. Then again, it doesn't seem all that precise when I change the units.

You guys must live in some very chill places to drive on settings that high. Here you would have your TACC freaking out and slamming on the brakes constantly as every car behind you rages and passes you to fill the gap XD
The gap is required by law in most places. I drive manually most of the time and I leave a healthy gap and don't have issues with people trying to get in front of me. I typically stay in the second lane however and almost never in the leftmost lane (unless I'm well ahead of traffic), so someone that feels I'm slow can always pass me and stay on the leftmost lane.

I never realized 1 or 2 is that short (0.5 or 1 seconds is very short in my book). I guess a lot of people here are tailgaters.

Reactions: KenC
I do think 1 or 2 is excessively close. I generally run 3-4 depending on various conditions.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone in my life actively leaving a full 3 second gap on the freeway even in a semi. That's 286 feet at 65MPH.

I do think 1 or 2 is excessively close. I generally run 3-4 depending on various conditions.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone in my life actively leaving a full 3 second gap on the freeway even in a semi. That's 286 feet at 65MPH.
That sounds like a lot in feet, but on a highway, it's not actually that much. Put another way, it's 1/18 of a mile.

Here's a screen shot of a car at 65mph and almost exactly 3 seconds of following distance:
following.jpg

I have definitely seen cars with that much following distance here in the Bay Area in California, although 2 seconds distance is more common. I generally drive with 2.5-3 seconds (people can easy merge in front of me when they want, but it's not so far that people can't see I'm following the car in front and think I'm falling behind traffic).

My point was more about the car being set at the lowest setting however. People were complaining even the 2 setting (1 second) was too long a distance and that they use the 1 setting (0.5 second).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The gap is required by law in most places. I drive manually most of the time and I leave a healthy gap and don't have issues with people trying to get in front of me. I typically stay in the second lane however and almost never in the leftmost lane (unless I'm well ahead of traffic), so someone that feels I'm slow can always pass me and stay on the leftmost lane.

I never realized 1 or 2 is that short (0.5 or 1 seconds is very short in my book). I guess a lot of people here are tailgaters.
When I had a Chevy Volt, it would tell me the follow gap in seconds. Around Boston, I realized the typical traffic gap that drivers were using was between 0.6 and 0.8secs. Way too stressful for me. And, I felt that 1.2secs was a comfortable distance for me.

Now, I use a setting of 7 when behind a semi, or other vehicle I feel might throw up rocks/pebbles. Otherwise, I adjust my spacing depending upon the situation, but generally, I'm far more relaxed about driving with my Tesla. If people want to dive-bomb the gap in front of my car, I let them.

It's daft anyway, anything lower than 4 is way too short. I think there's a difference between radar and vision in what minimum you can set.

At highway speed, I agree.

But when in heavy stop-and-go-traffic, I wish for a 0.25 setting. Basically, "ride 3 feet from the bumper in front of me, like everyone else sitting in this damn traffic."

If they would enable such a setting at below, say, 10mph (I'll even take 5mph) --- it would be glorious indeed.

The first time you have to sit in George Washington Bridge traffic trying to enter NYC, that setting would make all the sense in the world.

Reactions: GtiMart