Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same thing happened to me - I tried to convince the tech that I had high pitch noise at 50 MPH - there was also a slight bearing loose kinda noise - he came for a test drive and agreed - and I was told the drive unit will be replaced and they did it.

I thought they changed the rear but in fact it turned out the front drive unit was replaced.

I do not hear the bearing noise anymore - just the whine sometimes that I will probably live with …
how long did it take to replace?

Same thing happened to me - I tried to convince the tech that I had high pitch noise at 50 MPH - there was also a slight bearing loose kinda noise - he came for a test drive and agreed - and I was told the drive unit will be replaced and they did it.

I thought they changed the rear but in fact it turned out the front drive unit was replaced.

I do not hear the bearing noise anymore - just the whine sometimes that I will probably live with …
I'm not sure the noises you were hearing are the same as we're describing on this thread.

The high pitch noise we're talking about here sounds like crickets or high pitch static coming that comes and goes:

The high pitch whine you're describing sounds more like just standard inverter whine:

What did the slight loose bearing noise sound like? That seems like a different noise/issue altogether.

To me, the noise I hear sounds like very faint but clearly audible coil whine that I might experience from a computer. The inverter whine isn't as high pitched or as intermittent. I've found this sound to be most prevalent from 50-70 with very light throttle application. I personally do not believe it's a bearing.

Hi All

I am having the same issue with my MYLR that I got in Feb 2023. I just dropped it off at the service center yesterday in Fremont, CA and did the drive with the tech. The tech dismissed the issue as the sound being "normal".

After finding this thread I sent a message linking this thread to the service center noting the fix by replacing the front motor because of a faulty bearing. I haven't gotten a response yet.... we shall see.

Has anyone here had success with resolving the issue at the Fremont Service Center in CA? It would be great to find documentation that this issue CAN be fixed and that it is NOT normal.

Thanks!

Reactions: skim04c
If the noise is like a plane taking off - it's sort of normal... you can change some settings like reduce harsh acceleration, go from standard to chill etc. But the one I heard was like a rattle, a loose bearing of sort - and they quickly acted on it.

I had my appointment with the local SC here this week. I was able to demonstrate to the technician that did a ride along with me that the sound was there and that he was able to hear what I was talking about. I left the car there and it sat overnight until someone could look at it the next day. I'm guessing a different tech drove the car the day after, but that tech said he wasn't able to hear anything outside of the norm. Quite disappointing.

I wouldn't say that the noise is loud by any means, but the fact that it's always there at highway speeds, comes in and out at highway speeds, and has that high-pitch annoying ring to it makes it very distracting. I find myself turning the radio up while driving to try and drown it out, but this isn't something that I should have to do.

I made my feelings known to the SC. They said that I could certainly schedule another appointment and they would take another look. It's just frustrating to have wasted those two days without my vehicle for nothing.

You'd think by now that Tesla would know that this is a known issue and have a consistent stance on what to do with it. Right now, it seems like it's all over the place where some SC are working with the customer to fix the problem where others are claiming that it's a non-issue or that it's within normal operating parameters. On all the other Teslas that I've driven during test drives or as part of a loaner system, I didn't have any of this high-pitched whining noise with any of them. It's pretty frustrating for those of us that haven't gotten anywhere yet.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
I took my car - LR Nov 2022- to the SC a few weeks ago.
Printed out as much material from this thread as possible, and gave it to the technician.
He confirmed the FDU was the problem after some tests, and ordered a new one.

I heard the noise again a few minutes after picking up the car with the new drive unit. Apparently, another technician actually changed the unit and went for a drive afterwards, and probably didn't hear the sound as he was not familiar with it.

Anyway, I have another appointment in a few weeks.

It is very alarming, that even if one is able to convince the SC to actually do something, the expected fix (replacing the FDU) doesn't work..
I don't know if they are using old drive units, which passes quality control and makes it into the supply chain again?
I will most likely keep pushing for a new drive unit, and make sure he knows not to order a REN part.
My biggest fear is, that they will claim they cannot fix the issue and that it is not a big enough problem to replace my car.

I will keep you posted on this.

I got my 3 in March 22’. Went to the service center 3 times. One time they didn’t hear anything, another they realigned panels and said it was fixed, and the last one they replaced the windshield for free, which had a chip in it so I can’t complain. Time to make another appointment before it gets warm out

Quoting from your other post.

Oh wow you're very uniquely qualified to diagnose this!

Not sure how much backstory you're read on this thread but Tesla has a service article for it and they told at least one person when they replaced their front drive unit that it was a bad bearing. It's definitely coming from the front drive unit, but I'm less sure they know it's a bad bearing. I've also thought it sounds like high pressure coolant or maybe even electronics noise, but I noticed mine shuts up when you go around an exit ramp at speed, maybe the loading on the drive shaft/bearings are enough to quiet it. I wouldn't think electronics noise would care about that.

I have a microphone attached to a magnet and took some recordings of the front drive unit and the noise is extremely loud (clips the microphone). Lots of other interesting noises too:
I have my SC appt in the morning, so I finally took the chance to read this thread from beginning to end.

I also recorded a brief video of the noise I'm dealing with. The audio quality is not great (just an iPhone resting on the console lid), but it's what I had time for today on the way home. There's a certain in-car experience that is difficult to capture via audio recording.

The issue is noticeable from around 0:45-1:10

I have my SC appt in the morning, so I finally took the chance to read this thread from beginning to end.

I also recorded a brief video of the noise I'm dealing with. The audio quality is not great (just an iPhone resting on the console lid), but it's what I had time for today on the way home. There's a certain in-car experience that is difficult to capture via audio recording.

The issue is noticeable from around 0:45-1:10
I hear it.

Same for me. I brought my MY into service on Sunday and test drove with the tech who said he heard it! Now it is has been in the shop for 3 days and now they are saying they do not hear it. I do not understand the purpose of having a tech do a test drive with you to confirm the noise, why are they now saying they do not hear it. This is so frustrating. I even printed out others who have had their front drive unit replaced and still they are not doing anything. I will continue to bring it back to them until it is fixed but I feel that now the weather is getting warmer that the sound may not happen. You can hear it more when it is cold outside. This is really unfortunate and not a great experience.

Just took my Model 3 back from service on Monday, can confirm that a front drive unit replacement fixed the issue for me.

I took delivery of my 22 Model 3 in June and didn't have the issue with the noise until ~September when it started getting colder.

Took two trips to the service center, first time they couldn't replicate the issue even though the service tech that went for a ride with me confirmed they heard it.

Second time I brought it in another tech confirmed they heard the noise while in the car with me but thought it was some kind of wind turbulence so I brought up the front drive unit specifically and on my invoice it says they were able to confirm it so they replaced it.

Best advice I can give is to have techs go for a ride with you so they can confirm the noise is present each time you bring it in and point them towards the front drive unit as a possible source of the noise.
Lucky you, I had 2 techs confirm at separate times and now they say that they cannot confirm the noise again. Why bother having a tech go for ride if and confirm the noise if they are not going to do anything about it.

Same for me. I brought my MY into service on Sunday and test drove with the tech who said he heard it! Now it is has been in the shop for 3 days and now they are saying they do not hear it. I do not understand the purpose of having a tech do a test drive with you to confirm the noise, why are they now saying they do not hear it. This is so frustrating. I even printed out others who have had their front drive unit replaced and still they are not doing anything. I will continue to bring it back to them until it is fixed but I feel that now the weather is getting warmer that the sound may not happen. You can hear it more when it is cold outside. This is really unfortunate and not a great experience.
That was almost my exact experience. I did a ride along with a tech who was able to hear the problem first hand. I left the car there for them to diagnose further and received the car back the following evening with comments in the notes that they couldn't replicate the sound (I have no idea how because it is there for me 100% of the time).

It's very frustrating and annoying. I don't want to keep wasting my time dropping my car off only to have them say they can't replicate the sound. I don't understand why they just don't have the tech that will be working on the vehicle be the same person doing the ride along so I can show them first hand what my concern is and so they know exactly what to listen for when they're doing their own test drive of the vehicle.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
That was almost my exact experience. I did a ride along with a tech who was able to hear the problem first hand. I left the car there for them to diagnose further and received the car back the following evening with comments in the notes that they couldn't replicate the sound (I have no idea how because it is there for me 100% of the time).

It's very frustrating and annoying. I don't want to keep wasting my time dropping my car off only to have them say they can't replicate the sound. I don't understand why they just don't have the tech that will be working on the vehicle be the same person doing the ride along so I can show them first hand what my concern is and so they know exactly what to listen for when they're doing their own test drive of the vehicle.
I get it and is not sure how far the SC is from where you live but I want this fixed. Like you, I test drove the car and there was no whining noise at all and if there was, I doubt anyone would have put a deposit on the Tesla. It bothers me a lot that you show them and they can hear there is an issue but days later they do not hear and you get the car back.

The report was written by another tech (not the one who drove the car with me and could hear the noise), indicating that there no abnormal sound and there was a small gap in afront cowl that was fixed. However, once I drove the car it was the same exact sound. I booked another appointment early Dec BUT at another SC (it is a bit farther than the previous one) and the tech who went with me for the test drive listened very well and he said it is not that high but I am interested to investigate it. I shared with him the link to this thread and I made him listen to recording that I made and some of the ones that you guys have posted. He went in the service centre while I am sitting in the waiting area, after almost an hour he came back and he showed me an article that they had it internally for internal instructions. It describes exactly what we have with an example of an audio sounding exactly the same problem. The directions the techs are given, is to do recording of the sound with a specific device that they have to order from another service location. Then decipher and filter the sound quality, if it is confirmed to be originating from the front drive unit then they have to escalate. I really liked the professional attitude of the technician and his willing to help. Now I am waiting for their recording device to arrive and set an appointment late January or early February because I want the weather to be really cold (when the sound is loud and clear). I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks!
Did you ever receive the internal bulletin or instructions or the invoice that I can share with my SC?