Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing helpful on my end, but I finally took mine in and had exactly the experience others in the thread had.

-It was a warm day and the car heated up on the way to the service center. Didn't make the noise as distinctly on the ride-along
-Rough highway near service center made the noise difficult to hear
-Tech could still hear the noise but said he thought it sounded electrical and wasn't sure "where to even start looking"
-Claimed they would keep the car and put some miles on it to test
-Returned the car to me within 30 minutes of driving away, doing essentially nothing except making my driver door interior very dirty.

In the future, I will be leaving the vehicle at the service center the night before so that it properly cold soaks for the ride-along. I've noticed the noise is faint and harder to hear above ambient 65F. I am planning to pursue this more strongly in the fall, when I don't have to worry about it being 90 degrees on the day of the service appointment and will be printing out select parts of this thread.

Reactions: Ts91
Nothing helpful on my end, but I finally took mine in and had exactly the experience others in the thread had.

-It was a warm day and the car heated up on the way to the service center. Didn't make the noise as distinctly on the ride-along
-Rough highway near service center made the noise difficult to hear
-Tech could still hear the noise but said he thought it sounded electrical and wasn't sure "where to even start looking"
-Claimed they would keep the car and put some miles on it to test
-Returned the car to me within 30 minutes of driving away, doing essentially nothing except making my driver door interior very dirty.

In the future, I will be leaving the vehicle at the service center the night before so that it properly cold soaks for the ride-along. I've noticed the noise is faint and harder to hear above ambient 65F. I am planning to pursue this more strongly in the fall, when I don't have to worry about it being 90 degrees on the day of the service appointment and will be printing out select parts of this thread.
same experience again this week, except they made the noise even worse somehow without even touching it. I'm wondering if it's from my A/C running but now there's a lower pitched noise that covers up the high pitched noise. I get my Front Drive Unit replaced on Friday by the good guy SC in Eden Prairie MN however:) hopefully that fixes it.

On what grounds?
MN Lemon law, requires min. of 4 repair attempts for same issue and issue has to have X amount of impact on car's value, safety, or use. My lawyer said he wins 100% of his Tesla Lemon Law Claims, so I'd be his first to lose.

edit: they changed their minds because they think 11 khz noise is normal, and also they don't think it makes 11 khz noise even though it does and they told me it does in person, and also they said the Eden Prairie SC didn't follow procedures so they are wrong to say my drive unit is bad.

Reactions: Benito1283
People ask me all the time how I like my Tesla. I tell them the cars are amazing if you can get a good one but the QC is horrendous and they treat their customers like garbage. Part of the issue here is the service centers are owned by Tesla. An independent dealer would be much more motivated to acknowledge the issue and initiate a repair. Tesla-owned service centers have no such motivation and just tow the company line. If they won't make us whole in the fall, we will similarly sue.

Reactions: Michael Phelps
People ask me all the time how I like my Tesla. I tell them the cars are amazing if you can get a good one but the QC is horrendous and they treat their customers like garbage. Part of the issue here is the service centers are owned by Tesla. An independent dealer would be much more motivated to acknowledge the issue and initiate a repair. Tesla-owned service centers have no such motivation and just tow the company line. If they won't make us whole in the fall, we will similarly sue.
OMG, lol! Dealerships are the absolute worst! They will charge you for the diagnosis of anything deemed not covered by warranty (in their opinion) and then still keep trying to sell you fraudulent repairs 😂 Tesla like any human organization is not perfect by any means, but worse than a stealership?! hahahahaha!

OMG, lol! Dealerships are the absolute worst! They will charge you for the diagnosis of anything deemed not covered by warranty (in their opinion) and then still keep trying to sell you fraudulent repairs 😂 Tesla like any human organization is not perfect by any means, but worse than a stealership?! hahahahaha!
Dealerships are worse when it comes to buying a car. Tesla is worse when it comes to service, which is why the joke is "in-spec". Buying a $60K vehicle that squeals like a rusty wagon and being told it's operating as designed is an absolute joke.

Dealerships are worse when it comes to buying a car. Tesla is worse when it comes to service, which is why the joke is "in-spec". Buying a $60K vehicle that squeals like a rusty wagon and being told it's operating as designed is an absolute joke.
Sorry, you can't convince me based on my experience and just about everyone I know. Dealerships are bad on both ends. Dealerships make the vast majority of their money on service (not on the car sale), and a have long been known for falsifying the need for repairs in order to fraudulently charge customers.

I mean, why do you think for decades every husband or dad would always accompany their wife or daughter for repairs (to avoid this)? The "stealership" has to be one of the most socially known facts of life in the US over the last 60+ years.

Idk what Tesla did, but they made my car even worse after their last inspection. There's a constant 4 khz noise while driving now, on top of the faint 11 khz noise. This is insane, and they told me it's all normal.

Attachments

• b4andafter.JPG
    b4andafter.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 77
how did you get a removable sun roof
It is 2013.
This is so disgraceful. If I had known before all these issues existed I would not have gotten a Tesla. That is crazy!
I don't know what to say. I still haven't plates, haven't driven it on smaller tours. Only from Oslo to Bosnia/ 2600 kilometers.
The door handle I can't pull, small screen is slowly booting I feel like suspension is when on very high etc.

But the main thing that I want to know is what is causing the noise?
Also, there is oil on the right side of drive unit (where the shaft enters)

Reactions: Michael Phelps
Long time lurker but just signed up to say thanks to the numerous posts here detailing their issues.
I have a 22' M3LR and have the same issue.
The car actually started making this noise within the first week of ownership but was very faint and only seemed to stick around during cold weather. Fast foward abiut 10 months and the noise has progressively gotten worse. Took two trips to the SC to get it diagnosed (first time they couldn't replicate it).

After showing them these videos and describing the issue I was happening they managed to replicate this issue. New Front DU is now on order.

Just curious, has anyone seen the removal/replacement procedure for a M3LR front DU?

I'm booked for a replacement in a few weeks so fingers crossed all pans out well...